Ark of the covenant

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Ark of the covenant

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

What is it? Some say it's an alien artifact that emits radiation, some say it's something god made.

Where is it? Some say it's in Ethiopia, some say it's in Utah, some say it's under the dome of the rock.

Why did god create it (assuming it did)? Some say it doesn't exist, some say it has something to do with god and its demanding of worship.

For discussion:
What do you think the AOTC is? Where do you think it is located today? What do you think it's for?

What else about it would you like to know?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Ark of the covenant

Post #11

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #9]
I dont think it'will ever be found because Harrison Ford is retired.
Wrong again:
https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a8556 ... ison-ford/

Anti-Indy terribleness you! :D

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #12

Post by TRANSPONDER »

If it gets made.

"We've found it Indy! The lost Ark of the Covenant."

"I can't make it, Joan. I'm too old and clapped out."

"Well I guess I'd better put you out of your misery. But how can I carry it by myself."

"You can, because you're awesome, and able to do anything without any mentorship. Here - take my hat and whip and become the destined savior of the oppressed of the world and the one to lead the extermination of the patriarchy."

"Bye, Indy. In the mouth or to the Temple."

"Shoot me in the fly buttons; it'll be symbolic."

Of course, it may never get made.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by nobspeople »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:34 am If it gets made.

"We've found it Indy! The lost Ark of the Covenant."

"I can't make it, Joan. I'm too old and clapped out."

"Well I guess I'd better put you out of your misery. But how can I carry it by myself."

"You can, because you're awesome, and able to do anything without any mentorship. Here - take my hat and whip and become the destined savior of the oppressed of the world and the one to lead the extermination of the patriarchy."

"Bye, Indy. In the mouth or to the Temple."

"Shoot me in the fly buttons; it'll be symbolic."

Of course, it may never get made.
Article says it's in the works and should be out 2023. So long as HF survives long enough for it to finish.

brunumb
Savant

Post #14

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #13]

"Geriatric Jones: Raiders of the Incontinence Pants"
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by nobspeople »

brunumb wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:10 pm [Replying to nobspeople in post #13]

"Geriatric Jones: Raiders of the Incontinence Pants"
:D
Sounds about right

rstrats
Scholar

Post #16

Post by rstrats »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #15]

As far as the future is concerned, the Catholics think that the mention of the Ark of the Covenant in Revelation is referring to Mary.

Willum
Savant

Post #17

Post by Willum »

Like every other artifact from the Bible, it's a myth.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #18

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Willum wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:56 pm Like every other artifact from the Bible, it's a myth.
I'm just guessing as responding to a hypothetical question: do you think the Hebrews built and carried the Ark out of Sinai and through the conquest, put it in Solomon's temple? No. I'd bet on Exodus being mythical, perhaps a re -used record of the Expulsion of the Hyksos (who were not the hebrews, despite otseng's strenuous efforts to wangle them into Avaris). The conquest a garbled version of the expansion into the Canaanite plain after the 11th c BC and the historical stuff a mythology loosely based of the land struggles with Moab, Edom and Philistia and after that, the struggles with the Empires of Babylon and Assyria, and I have mentioned that the Assyrian siege of Jerusalem (or pretty much immediate surrender) is true enough but spun to make it look like God saved them.

So I have a Theory :roll: ...that Israel had a particular desire to keep its' identity separate and set up a lot of rules ensuring that the tribe did not copy foreign ways. I suspect that Judah gave the North a lot of Biblical stick because it was too tolerant of other religions and their gods. I am sure that other tribes, nations and empires had Temples, gods and 'arks' and those may have been carried into battle.

Archaeology suggests that there was a time that the Hebrew god has images and even a goddess -wife, but at some time, it was the Laws that instructed them how to remain separate from everyone else, and became more important than the cult -image, and it was the Laws that were echoed in the earliest Biblical artefact - the silver scroll of 600 BC. And those I hypothesise or suggest, were the object of worship rather than a cult -image.

I further theorize or suggest that the Exodus was written during the Exile, as well as Genesis, because that was when Hebrew identity was most under threat. A story was written (borrowing from Babylonian stories) about how the tribal god of the Israelites who was originally just Their god, then the Top god, and finally the Only god, had created everything, made the Hebrews His people and the rest of the tribes their slaves (or ought to be) and rather than the story of how they crept down from the hills and occupied Canaan along with the other Amorites, they wrote how they were already a chosen people under God and totally different from the Egyptians and all the other tribes. And as I suggested before, they used a garbled account of Ahmose I kicking the Canaanites out of Egypt as a story of Moses leading the Hebrews out of Egypt. And I pointed to the bulrushes story as showing a Babylonian origin and the anachronistic (for any time before Ramesses III or was it V?) mention of Philistia making it a later and historically impossible record.

I watched a video of some enthusiastic Hebrews trying to relate the Torah to archaeological sites, but what I noted, which they totally ignored, was that there seemed to be temples everywhere in early Israel, if they were even Hebrew temples, and not just one in Jerusalem, which I suspect was set up (if not imposed) by a central authority (Royal or religious or both) in Jerusalem at the time the Law was made the object of worship rather than a cult -image. And that would be after Solomon's time. It's just a vague mental model based on a few clues. I could be wrong.

In any case we have a covenant- holder with the Laws inside and I'd have to research a bit more to find out who looted and destroyed the Temple even before Antiochus did it. But it seems that there was never an attempt to replicate the Ark or the tablets in the 2nd (Herodian) Temple, and I would suppose there won't be one in the Third.