A matter of faith and pride

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

A matter of faith and pride

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Theists often brag about their faith, based on what, to an impartial observer, is a 3rd century comic.*
Their faith can override observation, even science - depending on the myth, story or fable.

So the question is this:
If you yourself acknowledge you have no knowledge but faith in these stories, and you yourself can not distinguish the Bible from other myths (except by personal opinion or upbringing), why should you expect your opinions to be taken seriously?

* = Indeed, it can be shown many, if not all Bible story were reproduced from other people’s fairytales, childrens’ stories, myth or religion.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Re: A matter of faith and pride

Post #31

Post by Eloi »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:13 amI only addressed the validity of science and lack of valid evidence for religion - any religion. (...)
From your own vision it is like this; from the view of others is very different from that. There are believing scientists; Don't believe that atheists are in control of science. True science is neutral; it belongs to atheists and believers.

Atheists want to put God in a laboratory... No, that's not going to happen. Make do with what is there. Listen others; because you don't know everything ... yes, yourself, you don't know everything.

Willum
Savant

Post #32

Post by Willum »

[Replying to Eloi in post #31]

God in a lab, next to a fairytale in a lab.

Science is unable to tell the difference, therefore that are identical.

Good talk.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #33

Post by Eloi »

Willum wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:35 am [Replying to Eloi in post #31]

Good talk.
First you have to put a monkey in a laboratory and teach him how to cook. When he becomes human, you let us know. Don't worry about my fairytales... worry about your own fairytellers.

Yes, good talk. Have a nice day.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #34

Post by nobspeople »

Eloi wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:37 am
Willum wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:35 am [Replying to Eloi in post #31]

Good talk.
First you have to put a monkey in a laboratory and teach him how to cook. When he becomes human, you let us know. Don't worry about my fairytales... worry about your own fairytellers.

Yes, good talk. Have a nice day.
What do monkeys have to do with all this? Are you referencing lab animals?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #35

Post by Eloi »

Eloi wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:43 am
Willum wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:39 am [Replying to Eloi in post #24]

How is putting faith in something that you can’t distinguish from a fairytale, normal now?

I can’t wait to hear this one!
Well, then you believe in fairytales too.

Is not believing that human brain grew in size because apes learned how to cook, transforming from ape to human, believing a fairytale too?
Apes, monkeys, ... the ones who become humans in your own fairytales ... Don't you atheists have your own faitytales, your own storytelling of you in whom you put your faith? Those stories are not scientific, they are fairytales.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #36

Post by nobspeople »

Eloi wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:53 am
Eloi wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:43 am
Willum wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:39 am [Replying to Eloi in post #24]

How is putting faith in something that you can’t distinguish from a fairytale, normal now?

I can’t wait to hear this one!
Well, then you believe in fairytales too.

Is not believing that human brain grew in size because apes learned how to cook, transforming from ape to human, believing a fairytale too?
Apes, monkeys, ... the ones who become humans in your own fairytales ... Don't you atheists have your own faitytales, your own storytelling of you in whom you put your faith? Those stories are not scientific, they are fairytales.
You again show you have zero knowledge of evolution. There are CHRISTIANS that believe in evolution, I'm sure you're aware. Or are they not 'real' christians?
It would behoove you to stop making the 'evolution is bad' argument when your understanding of it isn't there.

But if you want to talk about fairy tales, let's talk about the talking and burning bush that wasn't consumed.
Or the living raising from the dead.
Or a human virgin birth.
Fairy tales don't stop being fairy tales simply because you believe them.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #37

Post by Eloi »

This is an evolutionist fairytale: human brain grew in size because apes learned how to cook, transforming from ape to human. I heard it from one of your atheist storytellers. I don't need to be a scientist to understand that fairytale ... It is just that I don't put my faith in whom you put yours.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #38

Post by nobspeople »

Eloi wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:16 pm This is an evolutionist fairytale: human brain grew in size because apes learned how to cook, transforming from ape to human. I heard it from one of your atheist storytellers. I don't need to be a scientist to understand that fairytale ... It is just that I don't put my faith in whom you put yours.
You need a basic biology book to understand evolution.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #39

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Eloi wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:18 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:13 amI only addressed the validity of science and lack of valid evidence for religion - any religion. (...)
From your own vision it is like this; from the view of others is very different from that. There are believing scientists; Don't believe that atheists are in control of science. True science is neutral; it belongs to atheists and believers.

Atheists want to put God in a laboratory... No, that's not going to happen. Make do with what is there. Listen others; because you don't know everything ... yes, yourself, you don't know everything.
There are some believing scientists. I have seen a few figures. Most do not believe. Many who do suppose there is some sort of creator. Fewer espouse any particular religion. As a percentage. I have heard some of the arguments and they are not impressive and frankly owe more to faith than to science. If your intent is to pretend that Religious belief has scientific support, that one will not fly.

I would ask you not to stuff strawman arguments into atheism's mouth. Atheism only relies on the evidence of science because it has validity. Atheism has no control over science. It belongs to atheists and believers. It just happens (or so I argue) that it supports the case for doubt, question and non -belief.

If I don't know everything, nor do you. If I get your simile correctly you are saying that God - claims are beyond scientific scrutiny. I beg to differ. There are claims for God. Historical, scientific and logical and (so atheism will argue) they fail. If you want to extract the claims from science and rely on Faith, you have lost the evidence -argument. You are relying on Faith.

And if neither of us really know, the logic says we should not believe until we do know.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #40

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Eloi wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:16 pm This is an evolutionist fairytale: human brain grew in size because apes learned how to cook, transforming from ape to human. I heard it from one of your atheist storytellers. I don't need to be a scientist to understand that fairytale ... It is just that I don't put my faith in whom you put yours.
:D Kneejerk swipe at evolution, which you don't know about and probably don't want to. But it's irrelevant. Even if it was compleletely false that would not do a single solitary thing to prove that it was a god that did it, never mind which god. Swiping at evolution only exhibits your bias (at least) and does not do a thing to make your case for God, Bible, Jesus or Christianity.