An Egyptian analogy

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

An Egyptian analogy

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Has it occurred to anyone else, that the chronology of the Egyptian religion is identical to the Christian religion?

In the beginning there was chaos, then the gods in the pantheon, then came the one god, Aten, then he was replaced by the resurrection cult of Osiris.

Where in the Christian religion:

In the beginning there was chaos, then the gods in the pantheon, then came the one god, Yahweh, then he was replaced by the resurrection cult of Jesus.

Isn’t it almost as if the Roman’s put modern lipstick on the Egyptian pig, then spread it through their trade lanes?

Willum
Savant

Re: An Egyptian analogy

Post #61

Post by Willum »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #58]

If you don't know how the Earth existed before it was created, according to the Bible, as usual, you only know the bits of the Bible you like.

Do you think, that the Lord of the Universe, whose book you have only a taster's understanding of, and one he said you should know, for your eternal soul, is going to be very tolerant of you only following those bits of it you like?

I wouldn't.

JW-cabobs in eternity, anyone?

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #62

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

brunumb wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:57 pm The same water can not be in each of those different states at the same time.

Each molecule is made up of the same elements, but each molecules is a separate and individual entity.

The Father, The Son and Holy Spirit are separate individuals with their own identities. Some ancient schmuck ket the genie out of the bottle when they invented the trinity and it is now impossible to shove it back in as hard as apologists try.
If you can understand how three human beings can share one nature (human) while maintaining their separate identities, then you should also be able to understand how the three members of the Trinity can also share one nature (divine) while maintaining their separate identities.

It is literally the same concept.

Now, if that isnt good enough for you, then I cant help ya.

Ive decided to not waste much time discussing particulars about religion with people who dont believe in religion.
In which case he is hardly in a position to judge sinners.
An ant telling the sun to don't shine :lol:
It's very convenient being able to pick and choose what God allegedly knows to fit their argument, and then sweep the inconvenient errors under the carpet.
If I didn't believe in God, I wouldn't be wasting time arguing with people about what a God that I don't believe in allegedly knows/don't know.
And you are not merely expressing opinions? Spare us.
The difference is; my opinions are informed.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

Tcg
Savant

Post #63

Post by Tcg »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:19 am
Ive decided to not waste much time discussing particulars about religion with people who dont believe in religion.
The irony is that a great many religious folks don't believe in the religion other religious folk believe in. It's not like there is one religion or one god. Some estimate that Hinduism for instance has 330 million gods. I suspect a great many religious folks reject them all based on their own religious bias. That number sure puts the trinity to shame. Why pray to three dudes when one could have 330 million to fuss about.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #64

Post by Tcg »

All opinions are informed by something. There is nothing unique about them being so.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

brunumb
Savant

Post #65

Post by brunumb »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:19 am If you can understand how three human beings can share one nature (human) while maintaining their separate identities, then you should also be able to understand how the three members of the Trinity can also share one nature (divine) while maintaining their separate identities.
Three human beings are three separate individuals, not one, regardless of their nature. Your trinity is clearly three gods, not one.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

brunumb
Savant

Post #66

Post by brunumb »

Hardly a meaningful or informed response. Actually, a classic example of a Claytons response (the response you give when you are not giving a response).
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #67

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

brunumb wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:13 am
Hardly a meaningful or informed response. Actually, a classic example of a Claytons response (the response you give when you are not giving a response).
Actually, I said much more than that...but that is the only thing you decided to quote.

This is selective quoting.

Tsk, tsk.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #68

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

brunumb wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:07 am
We_Are_VENOM wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:19 am If you can understand how three human beings can share one nature (human) while maintaining their separate identities, then you should also be able to understand how the three members of the Trinity can also share one nature (divine) while maintaining their separate identities.
Three human beings are three separate individuals, not one, regardless of their nature.
"If you can understand"...

That apparently was a big "if", since you don't seem to understand.

Well, it doesn't look like I can help you then.

Continue with your misunderstandings of Christian theology.

Don't let me stop you. :approve:
brunumb wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:07 am Your trinity is clearly three gods, not one.
Sure. Whatever you say. :ok:
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #69

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

Tcg wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:55 am

All opinions are informed by something. There is nothing unique about them being so.

Tcg
Let me clarify that..

My opinions: more informed.

Your opinions: less informed.

Is that unique enough for you or shall I continue?
Last edited by We_Are_VENOM on Fri May 06, 2022 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #70

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

Tcg wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:04 am Why pray to three dudes when one could have 330 million to fuss about.
Tcg

Because Three's Company. :D

No, but seriously. There is nothing that those 330 million gods can do that one Christian God can't do (all things equal).
Venni Vetti Vecci!!