An Egyptian analogy

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

An Egyptian analogy

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Has it occurred to anyone else, that the chronology of the Egyptian religion is identical to the Christian religion?

In the beginning there was chaos, then the gods in the pantheon, then came the one god, Aten, then he was replaced by the resurrection cult of Osiris.

Where in the Christian religion:

In the beginning there was chaos, then the gods in the pantheon, then came the one god, Yahweh, then he was replaced by the resurrection cult of Jesus.

Isn’t it almost as if the Roman’s put modern lipstick on the Egyptian pig, then spread it through their trade lanes?

Willum
Savant

Re: An Egyptian analogy

Post #91

Post by Willum »

[Replying to We_Are_VENOM in post #88]
If by other gods you mean false gods then sure, no one is denying that.
Now, you just need to distinguish the two.
How is your god distinguishable from a false one?
We got you to see Yahweh is reprobate.
Did we?
You have indicated thus.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #92

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Goat wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:05 am
We_Are_VENOM wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:23 pm
Goat wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:53 pm
We_Are_VENOM wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:16 pm
Goat wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:49 pm Well, there was a shift from 'We worship Yahway above all others' to 'Yahweh is the only God' . Remember Asherah worship was fairly common until about the 3rd century bce. The trying to stamp out the worship of other gods was a process, and there was a shift of belief over several centuries.
I am talking about ancient Judaism, which was all about Yahweh.
Yes, and ancient Judaism also had Asherah believers in there as the consort of Yahweh. There are a number of references to Asherah and her worship in the Hebrew Scriptures. Although explicitly forbidden in deut 16:21, there references in the bible, and some archelogical evidence show that many ancient Jewish considered them a couple.

https://jwa.org/encyclopedia/article/as ... erim-bible
The Ancient Hebrews were sometimes gullible and easily influenced by the god's of other nations, and were disciplined by Yahweh because of it.

That much is scripturally clear, and that is all that was about.

You mention Deut 16:21, well, case closed.

God said no Asherah, so NO Asherah.
But, it lasted for centuries after the Jewish scripture was written. The priest had a hard time shutting it down, although they finally did.

Tastes and customs take time to change.

Venom is that kind of apologist who denies everything, dismisses everything and claims he has won.

Actually I think he just makes atheist apologetics look good and is a good bad example.

So don't worry about not persuading him, but about using him to make your case, for or against any particular Bible claim.

The business about Canaanite religion and its' influence on the Hebrews, and especially the Hebrew response to that, is as fascinating as the study of Hebrew origins (from the Aramean mountains 11th BC rather than by way of Lot and Abraham about 2,500 BC).

I'm convinced that the northern Kingdom was a lot more receptive towards Pagan religions, even if their god was the one they principally worshipped (and his wife, Asherah, too) and originally the laws and rites and worship only of YHWH was codified and imposed to preserve Hebrew identity from being absorbed into the surrounding Pagans. In that, they were supremely successful. I also think that it was the southern kingdom (Judah) that made a fetish of Yahweh - worship and really saw any tolerance of other religions as wicked.

But (And this is just my own feelings about it) I think it was during the Exile that the denial of all other gods as False and man made and YHWH as the only actual real god came into being.

Tempting though it is to credit Aten -worship as the inspiration of Judaism :D I don't think that Judaism really existed other than a tribal fetish and bugaboo at the time and Akhenaten was simply trying to break the political power of the cult of Amun.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #93

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Opps. :D I was keeping for that to pop into any response to the debate on 'The Poor'. Never mind. Enjoy.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #94

Post by Goat »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:39 am

Tempting though it is to credit Aten -worship as the inspiration of Judaism :D I don't think that Judaism really existed other than a tribal fetish and bugaboo at the time and Akhenaten was simply trying to break the political power of the cult of Amun.
Akhenaten's motivation for his belief structure does not mean there wasn't an influence on Judaism.

However, the change of Judaism from 'Yahweh is the god we worship over others' to There is only one God took several centuries.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella