The fairy tale of the talking bush

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

The fairy tale of the talking bush

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

In another thread, the topic of evolution came up and a poster (Eloi) accused it of being a 'fairy tale'. Aside from the fact that this poster doesn't understand religion, it made me wonder what fairy tales we accept and what ones we don't.

But let's not allow this thread to turn into a pro- anti-evolution thread; let's talk about fairy tales and their believability.

It seems to me, there's more scientific evidence for evolution than there is for any god existing. There is some truth in that in every myth, legend, tale, there's a hint of truth. This doesn't mean the entire myth, legend, tale is true.

Let's, ironically, talk about the talking and burning bush that wasn't consumed, while keeping it simple.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_b ... %20bush%20(or%20the,the%20flames%2C%20hence%20the%20name.

For discussion:
How is this story not a fairy tale yet evolution is?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

brunumb
Savant

Re: The fairy tale of the talking bush

Post #21

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:49 pm I don't believe people could have done the Bible without God's influence and I don't think it would have remained till this day without God's influence.
There is nothing in the Bible that couldn't have been written without the influence of God. As with any works of historical fiction, all it took was the imagination of human beings. And to it remaining to the present day, that again was totally due to the efforts of human beings, made even more significant by the fact that God couldn't even maintain the original writings.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Savant

Post #22

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:35 pm 2. If a book has no contradictions, it is from God?
5. Instructing a 'how-to' for slavery, commanding infanticide, allowing for rape, instructing that homosexuality is a 'sin', instructing that women are inferior to men in leadership, etc..., requires the work of a God?
2. Not necessary. Atheists don't understand the Bible, because they think it is contradictory. This indicates that God is needed to understand it without contradictions. If the book would be only from humans, I don't think it would be as difficult for atheists, it would be simpler book, like every other book is.
5. I think what you say shows nicely how poorly you know or understand the Bible, which confirms to me the previous point.

POI
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:28 pm
POI wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:35 pm 2. If a book has no contradictions, it is from God?
5. Instructing a 'how-to' for slavery, commanding infanticide, allowing for rape, instructing that homosexuality is a 'sin', instructing that women are inferior to men in leadership, etc..., requires the work of a God?
2. Not necessary. Atheists don't understand the Bible, because they think it is contradictory. This indicates that God is needed to understand it without contradictions. If the book would be only from humans, I don't think it would be as difficult for atheists, it would be simpler book, like every other book is.
5. I think what you say shows nicely how poorly you know or understand the Bible, which confirms to me the previous point.
2. In what way(s) do 'atheists' claim it is contradictory? Example(s) please? And just because you do not think it is contradictory, anywhere, how do you know God is helping?

5. LOL. So God doesn't instruct a correct guide for slavery, has never commanded infanticide, has never inspired passages for rape, does not condemn homosexuality, doesn't instruct that women are not to lead? Care to prove it? Because I can.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Savant

Post #24

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:21 pm 2. In what way(s) do 'atheists' claim it is contradictory? Example(s) please? And just because you do not think it is contradictory, anywhere, how do you know God is helping?
You don't know the long list of "contradictions" that atheists have collected?

How else could I understand it without contradictions, if not with God's help? I don't think I am better than people without God.

POI
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:30 am
POI wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:21 pm 2. In what way(s) do 'atheists' claim it is contradictory? Example(s) please? And just because you do not think it is contradictory, anywhere, how do you know God is helping?
You don't know the long list of "contradictions" that atheists have collected?

How else could I understand it without contradictions, if not with God's help? I don't think I am better than people without God.
You missed my point entirely here. If you again refer to point 5., in the previous post, I mentioned many topics for which God apparently instructs. These topics are not 'contradictions' ---> if "God is good". This just means that 'good' is THEN defined as condoning slavery, infanticide, rape, anti-homosexuality, misogyny, etc....

So I then ask... Are YOU also okay with condoning slavery, infanticide, rape, anti-homosexuality, misogyny, etc.? If not, then it is YOU who are in "contradiction" with your believed upon god. I, myself, cannot be in actual "contradiction" with the imaginary. I am in instead in contradiction with the men who wrote these laws, for which we call the Bible.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."