Witnessing, the street corner and the dreaded door knock

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Witnessing, the street corner and the dreaded door knock

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Christianity tells its members that their witness is important; how one is perceived in acting and things said reflects on god and its mission. Strangely enough, that's logically sound.
There are many different kinds of witnessing, but most fall into the categories of direct and indirect (and maybe a grey area).
Indirect would simply be others watching a known christian from afar (at work, the baseball game, the grocery store, on the road, next to you in the stall, etc). In this indirect version often times, the christian may not even know they're 'being watched'.
The direct version is more 'in yo' face', both welcomed and unwelcomed, solicited and unsolicited. These can include someone knocking at your front door while you're eating, a friend talking to you when you're sad, church, you asking one to explain their belief to you, etc.
The 'grey area' is usually seen screaming of the end times on the street corner, handing out fliers as you walk past them on the street, opening your door and see a flyer attached to your knocker, going to your car and seeing a flyer attached to your wiper, etc. (I include this as the grey area as it can be seen as both direct and indirect, depending on the person).

For discussion:
Is witnessing effective?
What's the best way to witness?
What's the worse?
Have you witnessed in the past?
If so, how effective was it?
How can you do better?
Do you think one of these days (direct or indirect) should be 'banned' (for lack of a better term)?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Re: Witnessing, the street corner and the dreaded door knock

Post #2

Post by Eloi »

I came to US almost two decades ago, from a country where I had a terrible childhood, because the government did not allow my religion and organized ways to change my religious behavior, either with intimidation or force through other children who were recruited for that; They also intimidated my parents by imprisoning them for the religious education they gave me and my brothers. This government welcomed me and my family, after having suffered a lot of discrimination, and even persecution just for our beliefs.

It embarrasses me that there are still people here who don't realize why laws have been passed in this country that allow freedom of religion, and try to change that right just because it bothers them how others want to practice their faith.

No human being is going to prevent a true Christian from speaking of his faith: it is a mandate from our Leader and a responsibility on which our own future and that of others depends.

PD: Do you think that atheist militancy, propaganda, and its anger in eliminating religious beliefs, even when they do not affect them at all, should be repressed in some way?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Eloi in post #2]
Do you think that atheist militancy, propaganda, and its anger in eliminating religious beliefs, even when they do not affect them at all, should be repressed in some way?
Curious (and off topic):
Why do you insist on 'thinking' the militancy is only atheist?
Do you not recognize propaganda permeates all parts of society, including the religious groups?
Do you think people want to eliminate religious belief in this country?
Who is the 'them' that the religious views don't affect?
Depending on who the 'them' are above, why do you think people's religious views don't affect 'them' at all?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Eloi »

I was clear in my post. I have no time for machine-like posts.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by nobspeople »

Eloi wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:47 am I was clear in my post. I have no time for machine-like posts.
No it wasn't. But if you don't 'have time' to clarify your point, then your point isn't worth reading, now or going forward.
Happy posting.

The QUOTE feature, here, is your friend.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by JoeyKnothead »

nobspeople wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:15 am ...
Is witnessing effective?
Lol 'witnessing'.
What's the best way to witness?
To've actually witnessed the stuff it is you claim to be witnessing about.
What's the worse?
Reading stuff from a book and calling that 'witnessing'.
Have you witnessed in the past?
I once witnessed two garter snakes having mad sexy garter snake relations.
If so, how effective was it?
Can't tell, as I wasn't able to further document the repercussions. But I figure the garter snake God mighta got upset if they wasn't married first, or if they was two boy snakes.
How can you do better?
My data suggests alcohol or cocaine's far more effective than slithering up to some pretty thing, and then hissing.
Do you think one of these ways (direct or indirect) should be 'banned' (for lack of a better term)?
Naw, cause if just one pretty thing's cool with the slithering and the hissing, I ain't above adoing it to reach my aims.

Conclusions?

When a Christian tells me they wanna 'witness', I assume they just love em some Cocoa Puffs.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

brunumb
Savant

Post #7

Post by brunumb »

Eloi wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:33 am No human being is going to prevent a true Christian from speaking of his faith: it is a mandate from our Leader and a responsibility on which our own future and that of others depends.
Do you feel the same about true Muslims, true Hindus, true Scientologists and so on? Do you accept them knocking on your door or confronting you in the shopping centre or at work speaking their faith?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

brunumb
Savant

Post #8

Post by brunumb »

Eloi wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:33 am PD: Do you think that atheist militancy, propaganda, and its anger in eliminating religious beliefs, even when they do not affect them at all, should be repressed in some way?
If religious people are permitted to express their faith and attempt to convert everyone to their way of thinking, doesn't that right also apply to people who don't share that faith? So, what exactly do you regard as atheist militancy? Is the questioning of beliefs now elevated to militancy? Would you prefer a society where atheists would just shut up and move to the back of the bus?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

Eloi wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:33 am I came to US almost two decades ago, from a country where I had a terrible childhood, because the government did not allow my religion and organized ways to change my religious behavior, either with intimidation or force through other children who were recruited for that; They also intimidated my parents by imprisoning them for the religious education they gave me and my brothers. This government welcomed me and my family, after having suffered a lot of discrimination, and even persecution just for our beliefs.
What a sad story, at least it would be if any verifiable evidence of its truthfulness could be provided. The reality is that it is simply a prelude to yet more unsupported propaganda against atheists. Facts are what matter here. None have been provided.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom