Christians and their 'bad apple-ism'

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Christians and their 'bad apple-ism'

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

In a recent thread, when asked 'what percentage/how much of the bible needs to be real for you to believe?', the answers' ranges weren't too surprising.
I was once told my experiences with XYZ group shouldn't soil my view of the whole group. When ask exactly how many I should have experiences with to form an opinion, I was met with nothing of value.

There is a saying of 'one bad apple spoils the whole bushel'. Can this thinking be attributed to christians and, by proxy, the whole belief system?
I believe it's very possible. Why? Because god should have 'better control over the situation' if god is wanting his sheep to minister and, thus, draw more people into its 'bosom' (no people aren't robots but that doesn't mean god should have some sort of control over situations and peoples' heart).

I don't believe anyone honestly thinks christians should be perfect. Humans are going to fail, even the most devout and righteous. As the saying goes, 'christians aren't perfect, just forgiven'. That said, christians should be held to a higher standard than the lay person simply because they have access to 'a power' or influence that others do not, as well as 'knowing better' when it comes to doing the right vs. wrong thing.

This leads to the concept of the 'one bad apple'. One bad experience with a christian can hurt another's view on the belief system, or at least that denomination. But is this appropriate? Is it logical?

For discussion:
Should having a bad experience with one christian be detrimental to one's view of christianity?
If not, how many 'bad experiences' should one have to form an accurate opinion of christianity?
Has this happened to you?
Do believers accept that 'one bad apple' can sully the view of another for their religion? Or do believers have a totally different POV on the subject?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Christians and their 'bad apple-ism'

Post #21

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Difflugia wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:12 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:24 amIf not, how many 'bad experiences' should one have to form an accurate opinion of christianity? Any number would be arbitrary; our personal experiences are limited by géographe and circumstance. For example a person might might live in a particularly high crime area where the population is mostly black. If he went out regularly at night multiple muggings might more be a result of his own bad choices than the race of the mugger.
It never occurred to me that victim-blaming might be the solution to racism.
Are you suggesting that is what I did, if so be so kind to explain yourself. If not, why have you addressed this comment to me?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8