Nobility of religion

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Nobility of religion

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Are Judeo-Christians more noble or intelligent than others because they are the last modern people holding onto fairytale beliefs as if they were true?

So many other religions with the same traits have been dismissed, why not this?

Is it a character flaw? Deep brainwashing, the phenomena that it is easier to fool someone than it is to show them they’ve been fooled?

Or something else?

Willum
Savant

Re: Nobility of religion

Post #11

Post by Willum »

[Replying to bjs1 in post #9]

No, not at all. It just makes us realize you’re incapable of realizing you worship a fairytale.

bjs1
Sage

Post #12

Post by bjs1 »

Willum wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:11 pm [Replying to bjs1 in post #9]

No, not at all. It just makes us realize you’re incapable of realizing you worship a fairytale.
This post continues the misuse of words. There is no point in continuing a debate with someone who will not use well defined words correctly, even after the definition has been provided.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Willum
Savant

Post #13

Post by Willum »

[Replying to bjs1 in post #12]

The best defense you have is I am using the wrong word?
You know what I mean exactly though, so this is just a poor evasion.

Do you prefer comic-book?
Fantasy?
Made-up stories?

What evs.

otseng
Savant

Post #14

Post by otseng »

Willum wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:11 pm It just makes us realize you’re incapable of realizing you worship a fairytale.
Moderator Comment

Please debate without making personal comments of others.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

bjs1
Sage

Post #15

Post by bjs1 »

Willum wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:11 pm [Replying to bjs1 in post #12]

The best defense you have is I am using the wrong word?
You know what I mean exactly though, so this is just a poor evasion.

Do you prefer comic-book?
Fantasy?
Made-up stories?

What evs.
I do know what you mean exactly. You believe that religious faith is false and you want to find a way to make your unsupported opinion into a personal insult. If you have evidence - something more than "I'm right unless you can prove me wrong" - then present it. If this is nothing more than what it seems (that is, an unsupported opinion stated as an insult) then go well.
-Charles Darwin

Willum
Savant

Post #16

Post by Willum »

[Replying to bjs1 in post #15]

Sure.
I have evidence supported by every discipline I know of, science, math, law courts academia, and so on.

It’s call proof by equivalence.
If you can’t distinguish your god from a made up entity with the same characteristics… you worship a made up thing.

Anything your god can do an imaginary one cannot, validates your imaginary friend.

Since you can’t, you worship an imaginary creature.

bjs1
Sage

Post #17

Post by bjs1 »

Willum wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:02 pm [Replying to bjs1 in post #15]

Sure.
I have evidence supported by every discipline I know of, science, math, law courts academia, and so on.

It’s call proof by equivalence.
If you can’t distinguish your god from a made up entity with the same characteristics… you worship a made up thing.

Anything your god can do an imaginary one cannot, validates your imaginary friend.

Since you can’t, you worship an imaginary creature.
That is very clearly not what proof by equivalence means. (That is the third well defined phrase that been incorrectly used in this thread.)
https://calcworkshop.com/relations/equi ... %20integer.

Also, I asked for evidence, not assumption. Existence is the obvious difference between something that exists and something that is made up. Saying “you can’t distinguish your God from a made up entity with the same characteristics” is just stating the un-evidenced assumption that God does not exist. You are free to that assumption, but it is not evidence.
-Charles Darwin

Willum
Savant

Post #18

Post by Willum »

[Replying to bjs1 in post #17]

So amusingly, I said in math, science, and so on, and you attempted to use only one standard to invalidate the claim.
That is very clearly a bad attempt to invalidate the argument.

Of course it is going to be described and applied differently in each discipline. Using current laws to describe a theft scenario is going to be as useful as... as useful as... well, your objection.

God remains proven imaginary.

Your move.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

bjs1
Sage

Post #19

Post by bjs1 »

Willum wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:11 pm [Replying to bjs1 in post #17]

So amusingly, I said in math, science, and so on, and you attempted to use only one standard to invalidate the claim.
That is very clearly a bad attempt to invalidate the argument.
Really? Because it seems to more then adequately invalidate the argument. The fact that there has not even been an attempted to defend the argument strongly suggests that the argument is indefensible.
Willum wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:11 pm Of course it is going to be described and applied differently in each discipline.
I will patiently await for you to accurately apply the argument once in any discipline.
Willum wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:11 pm God remains proven imaginary.
As always, saying that does not actually prove anything.
-Charles Darwin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #20

Post by JoeyKnothead »

The dictionary merely denotes common usage, and has nothing to say how the individual should, or is allowed, to define terms.

The difference twixt religion and fairy tales is, best I can tell, ya can fleece folks in the name of the first'n, not so much in the other'n.

Notice theists are incapable of showing their favored god/s exist, nor can they show Cinderella don't.

That I might worship Cinderella through ritual and prayer, and demand others respect my religion gives me little reason to fuss at folks saying I worship me a fairy tale.

"Mine's a religion cause I take it serious" is all the reason I need to laugh at folks who say the one's a fairy tale, but the other'n ain't.

The bible has all the hallmarks of a fairy tale, cept, I reckon, for a glass slipper.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin