Nobility of religion

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Nobility of religion

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Are Judeo-Christians more noble or intelligent than others because they are the last modern people holding onto fairytale beliefs as if they were true?

So many other religions with the same traits have been dismissed, why not this?

Is it a character flaw? Deep brainwashing, the phenomena that it is easier to fool someone than it is to show them they’ve been fooled?

Or something else?

Tcg
Savant

Re: Nobility of religion

Post #21

Post by Tcg »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:10 am
The difference twixt religion and fairy tales is, best I can tell, ya can fleece folks in the name of the first'n, not so much in the other'n.
This is one of the things that astonishes me. It seems that it is easier to get some folks to believe grand tales of an everlasting paradise than more mundane claims.

"Hey buddy, I can save you 10% on your car insurance."

'I'm not buying it.'

"Hey buddy, I can tell you how to reach heaven when you die."

'Praise the Lord, I believe!'

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Willum
Savant

Post #22

Post by Willum »

[Replying to bjs1 in post #19]
Really? Because it seems to more then adequately invalidate the argument. The fact that there has not even been an attempted to defend the argument strongly suggests that the argument is indefensible.
Your attempt failed, as it stovepiped one application, when it applies to many. It is like it is dollars when you apply it to money, volts and amps for electricity, different applications have different expressions.
It may just be your education has failed to allowed you to understand this, and in this case... well, I certainly can't be expected to give you a college education here.

Feel free to continue to believe in the things you can not distinguish from fiction... or as Joey says, fleeceable fiction.

bjs1
Sage

Post #23

Post by bjs1 »

Willum wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:39 pm [Replying to bjs1 in post #19]
Really? Because it seems to more then adequately invalidate the argument. The fact that there has not even been an attempted to defend the argument strongly suggests that the argument is indefensible.
Your attempt failed, as it stovepiped one application, when it applies to many. It is like it is dollars when you apply it to money, volts and amps for electricity, different applications have different expressions.
It may just be your education has failed to allowed you to understand this, and in this case... well, I certainly can't be expected to give you a college education here.

Feel free to continue to believe in the things you can not distinguish from fiction... or as Joey says, fleeceable fiction.
Another post with personal insults and zero evidence. May I safely assume that any additional posts you make in this thread will continue to follow this model?
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Willum
Savant

Post #24

Post by Willum »

[Replying to bjs1 in post #23]

I think you need to understand, that just because you have a personal religion, me degrading it, doesn’t mean I’m degrading you.

However, you have made another post, avoiding a subject that would invalidate your religion to answer it. May I assume you have no way to defend your religion? And if so why do you maintain it?
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight