The Central Problem with Christianity

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Diogenes
Guru

The Central Problem with Christianity

Post #1

Post by Diogenes »

Jesus (and Paul) thought the world was going to end soon. This is why Jesus told people to give away their possessions, and Paul taught people should not marry. Jesus spoke very specifically about the world ending in the lifetime of those he preached to. [I won't go into the verses, because it will spawn the usual verbal gymnastics about how he did not mean what he said]

Christians, for the most part, ignore the idea of not attaining wealth. They also ignore the admonition not to marry. They ignore these basic Christian teachings because they don't like them. Instead, they claim Jesus didn't really mean what he said about the end coming soon. This provides cover for getting married and accumulating wealth.

The question for debate is, "Why do most Christians marry and try to accumulate wealth despite the very clear New Testament admonitions to do the opposite?
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth
and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal.
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor
rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal.
__ Matthew 6:19-20

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

oldbadger
Guru

Re: The Central Problem with Christianity

Post #21

Post by oldbadger »

Diogenes wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:39 pm Good point! Although a central deviation from Jesus' teaching is the 'prosperity gospel,' turning the messenger into a god via the resurrection is the core corruption of the message Jesus brought. In addition to the "dodgy claim" of the resurrection, I'd add the failure of his prophesy of a quick "Second Coming" as concrete evidence of his human rather than divine nature.
Absolutely!
the Gospel of Mark, with Christian edits removed, tells the story of a man who picked up a campaign against Temple and Priesthood corruption and hypocrisy (from the Baptist) and carried it forward for about a year. He may have survived Golgotha and been exiled, after all he was seen by friends afterwards on his way North, and the traditions of Kashmir and Cornwall insist that he went to those places (another debate, that! :) ).

Paul's blinding ideas about building a very efficient method of control (Christianity) were and are ....... spin.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #22

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Athetotheist wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:43 pm
1213 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:03 am
Diogenes wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:09 pm ...Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom (Matt. 16:28).
That happened after few days.

After six days, Jesus took with him Peter, James, and John his brother, and brought them up into a high mountain by themselves. He was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his garments became as white as the light. Behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them talking with him.
Matt. 17:1-3
Diogenes wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:09 pmTruly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place (Matt. 24:34).
I think the "this generation" means that generation that sees all the things. But, you probably disagree, which is why I want to ask, is it possible that all the things Jesus said should have happened have already happened? If not, what has not happened and how do you know that?
If those who were not to taste death before they saw the Son of Man coming in his kingdom were only three of Jesus' disciples in a remote setting after only a few days, it would hardly qualify as an impressive prophecy; most likely everyone present would still be living a few days later. And just before that he states that the Son of Man will be coming with his angels to reward each according to his works. That doesn't happen during the transfiguration.

And "this generation" meaning the generation which wouldn't pass away until it saw all the things which would happen before it passed away would be tautology----needless repetition of the same idea----and again not an impressive prophecy.

It isn't a tautology, but you are trying to make it look like one. It is a prophetic promise that those listening to him (all the 12, including Judas, mind) on the mount of olives once he had finished his wrangles and denunciations in the Temple) would see the things he had prophecies happen while some were still alive. This isn't the only time Jesus says such things. The Sanhedrin would see Jesus coming on the clouds, and the last days or end would come before the disciples had passed through the towns and cities twice or something of that kind.

Clearly though near 2,000 years later, they are all long dead and the prophecy hasn't happened. That despite trying to rewrite 'Generation' to mean something else (which other passages show it doesn't), or that it is happening or even has happened, which evidently it hasn't.

It doesn't wash that it happened during the transfiguration (aside that John effectively denies that any such thing ever happened) because. even if one were to buy that the 16. 28 (1) passage refers to the transfiguration that happens right after that, we still have the prophecies of the mount of Olives and the threat (or promise) to the Sanhedrin, which clearly doesn't refer to that.

Let's be clear about this, folks; we cannot persuade the Faithful it isn't true, because they will rewrite the Bible in their heads or even deny it in order to avoid admitting that they are wrong. That is what it about and all it has ever been about. Accordingly, all that matters to them is denying everything and clinging to their Faith.

That doesn't matter at all. What is REALLY under discussion here is whether anyone who does NOT have Faith and still has the ability to process Data rationally will buy the arguments that the prophecies of the Mount of Olives will come true or have come true. I say that they will not buy it that 'Generation' means all and every humung bean that has ever lived until the prophecy comes true or the sun swallows the earth as a red giant. Or that all those things are coming to pass today, with wars and rumours of wars and human wickedness and blasphemies and fornications, like that hasn't been going on for 2,000 years, already.

This prophecy will be seen to have signally failed by anyone not already in denial because of Faith. Just as they cannot be persuaded that God's genocides are moral and merited, or that hellthreat makes any sense. And to that (it is my mission) I will add the demonstrable fabrication of the nativities, the nearly as provable fabrication of the resurrections and the rest will follow until they realise (despite the stout denial of the Faithful and their exhortations that they should have Faith) that the gospels are not true, reliable, trustworthy or eyewitness accounts.

(1) Luke 9. 27, Mark 9.1

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #22
It isn't a tautology, but you are trying to make it look like one. It is a prophetic promise that those listening to him (all the 12, including Judas, mind) on the mount of olives once he had finished his wrangles and denunciations in the Temple) would see the things he had prophecies happen while some were still alive.
The tautology is the way it's reinterpreted by apologists.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #24

Post by Diogenes »

1213 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:03 am
Diogenes wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:09 pm ...Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom (Matt. 16:28).
That happened after few days.
The Bible says you are wrong.
Matthew 24:

“So when you see the abomination of desolation spoken of by the prophet Daniel, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand), 16 then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 17 Let the one who is on the housetop not go down to take what is in his house, 18 and let the one who is in the field not turn back to take his cloak. 19 And alas for women who are pregnant and for those who are nursing infants in those days! 20 Pray that your flight may not be in winter or on a Sabbath. 21 For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, and never will be. 22 And if those days had not been cut short, no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short. 23 Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. 24 For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect. 25 See, I have told you beforehand. 26 So, if they say to you, ‘Look, he is in the wilderness,’ do not go out. If they say, ‘Look, he is in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. 27 For as the lightning comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 28 Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather.

29 “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30 Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

32 “From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts out its leaves, you know that summer is near. 33 So also, when you see all these things, you know that he is near, at the very gates. 34 Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.
Before the "Second Coming" there is the "great tribulation, such as has not been from the beginning of the world." After the Great Tribulation immediately they will see the Son of Man coming."
And when does all this happen? Before the generation he is speaking to passes away.

This "second coming" follows the tribulation, so it cannot be "the transfiguration" because we have yet to see "the Great Tribulation."

— Confucius

Savant

Post #25

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:01 pm ... What the heck is He waiting for? Inquiring minds want to know????...
I think God is just patient. We are waiting that all who are meant to come in, have come in.

For I don’t desire, brothers, to have you ignorant of this mystery, so that you won’t be wise in your own conceits, that a partial hardening has happened to Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in,
Romans 11:25

Or do you despise the riches of his goodness, forbearance, and patience, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance? But according to your hardness and unrepentant heart you are treasuring up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath, revelation, and of the righteous judgment of God; who “will pay back to everyone according to their works:”
Romans 2:4-6

Savant

Post #26

Post by 1213 »

Diogenes wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:31 pm ...
Before the "Second Coming" there is the "great tribulation, such as has not been from the beginning of the world." After the Great Tribulation immediately they will see the Son of Man coming."
And when does all this happen? Before the generation he is speaking to passes away.

This "second coming" follows the tribulation, so it cannot be "the transfiguration" because we have yet to see "the Great Tribulation."
The "transfiguration was about the "some will see him coming in his kingdom". Matt. 24 I think is a different matter. And maybe you are correct and it has not yet happened. But, how would you know that?

POI
Prodigy

Post #27

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:08 pm
POI wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:01 pm ... What the heck is He waiting for? Inquiring minds want to know????...
I think God is just patient. We are waiting that all who are meant to come in, have come in.
The beauty about this response, is that you can say this perpetually (for years/decades/centuries/millennia), and you are never wrong ;) As Jesus continues not to come, and likely never will, Christians can rinse/repeat with the same assertions indefinitely.

I see you also skipped/missed the main point... The OP asks why Christians pursue wealth? As I'm sure (you and I) agree, Jesus frowns upon material wealth. I would also imagine you possess some type of wealth, for which Jesus would not like. How do you justify/rationalize possessing such wealth, if you also know Jesus does not like such wealth?

In other words, why do you actively maintain and procure wealth, in spite of Jesus's teachings?
Last edited by POI on Mon May 09, 2022 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Diogenes
Guru

Post #28

Post by Diogenes »

1213 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:08 pm
Diogenes wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:31 pm ...

The "transfiguration was about the "some will see him coming in his kingdom". Matt. 24 I think is a different matter. And maybe you are correct and it has not yet happened. But, how would you know that?
It's interesting because the same phrase about "this generation" passing away is found in both Matthew 16 and Matthew 24. Maybe it was just something he said to give authority to his claims. But we absolutely know that at least in chapter 24 he is talking about a final judgment and that it comes after the tribulation, immediately after.
Other relevant verses:

"When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next; for truly I tell you, you will not have gone through all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.
— Matthew 10:23
But truly I tell you, there are some standing here who will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God.
— Luke 9:27
for these are days of vengeance, as a fulfillment of all that is written.
— Luke 21:22
Truly I tell you, there are some standing here who will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.
— Matthew 16:28
Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place."
— Matthew 24:34

Doesn't the phrase about the "Son of Man coming into his Kingdom" suggest the end times when he comes in glory with the angels rather than either the transfiguration or when he fairly secretly shows himself to just a few after the supposed 'resurrection?'

— Confucius

Wootah
Savant

Post #29

Post by Wootah »

Diogenes wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:15 pm Jesus (and Paul) thought the world was going to end soon. This is why Jesus told people to give away their possessions, and Paul taught people should not marry. Jesus spoke very specifically about the world ending in the lifetime of those he preached to. [I won't go into the verses, because it will spawn the usual verbal gymnastics about how he did not mean what he said]

Christians, for the most part, ignore the idea of not attaining wealth. They also ignore the admonition not to marry. They ignore these basic Christian teachings because they don't like them. Instead, they claim Jesus didn't really mean what he said about the end coming soon. This provides cover for getting married and accumulating wealth.

The question for debate is, "Why do most Christians marry and try to accumulate wealth despite the very clear New Testament admonitions to do the opposite?
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth
and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal.
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor
rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal.
__ Matthew 6:19-20
Jesus is asking people to stop relying on material goods that do rot and spoil and build treasure in heaven. He is not saying don't marry or don't accumulate wealth, there is plenty of nuance in the texts on those issues. Actually living as a Christian makes it harder to not accumulate wealth. I have personally found that once I abandoned my vices that my bank account naturally grew more.

Anyway, Jesus is perfect and his teachings are perfect but we are not and so I would expect Christians to be struggling with these words. I also don't think I understand God's word as well as I do now. As I transform more I do think I am making more Christ like decisions and if I had that maturity in Christ earlier I may not have gotten married or used my money differently. Thankfully God forgives.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #30

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to Wootah in post #29
Jesus is perfect and his teachings are perfect
I would ask you to hop over and look at the "Jesus did not teach, he made speeches!" thread and consider the points I bring up there in assessing Jesus' "perfect" teachings.