How near was the time?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Athetotheist
Prodigy

How near was the time?

Post #1

Post by Athetotheist »

"Then he told me, “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this scroll, because the time is near."
(Rev. 22:10)

If the words of the prophecy weren't to be sealed up because the time was near, why wasn't it near enough for people who had the scroll still unsealed [around 1,900 years ago] to see the prophecy come about? Wouldn't they have expected to?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: How near was the time?

Post #21

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Correct. There is a world of difference between a prediction based on evidence, which can be averted by efforts, and a message from some supernatural entity that such and such will happen because they said so. And of course it doesn't happen, it is kept going, forgotten (they hope) and replaced by another one, and we work out the old ones were written after the event.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by Eloi »

It is obvious that the existence of a Creator who put constants in the Universe, implies that He knows better than anyone the probabilities of occurrence of any event (apart from being able to route the events to a certain event if it is His will) .... I am not saying "probabilities", I will rather say certainty.

Science as a research method cannot be infallible, because it is human and is limited by the knowledge and technology of the moment, as well as the prejudices and interests of those involved. On top of that, the information that is made public is minimal...so in reality, the public can only know what the information controllers allow them to, and that implies that this information could even be manipulated, so if a recipient of that information has no way of verifying it, the word of those informants and influencers would not be sufficient proof of its veracity.

A personal experience: When I was a child I was very worried about an event that scholars said was going to happen in the future... I read about it in a vintage Russian magazine called Sputnik. Scholars said that in the year 2000 all men would be bald due to the indiscriminate use of hair brushes and others. Hehehehe. Science, right? The god of atheists ... their man-made god.

POI
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by POI »

Eloi wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:43 am It is obvious that the existence of a Creator who put constants in the Universe, implies that He knows better than anyone the probabilities of occurrence of any event (apart from being able to route the events to a certain event if it is His will) .... I am not saying "probabilities", I will rather say certainty.
Not only do you need to prove a God put this into action, but you also need to prove it is from the God of the Bible. Otherwise, as you would say, (paraphrased) I will not debate mere assumption - which may be inspired by fallacious reasoning.
Eloi wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:43 am Science as a research method cannot be infallible, because it is human and is limited by the knowledge and technology of the moment, as well as the prejudices and interests of those involved. On top of that, the information that is made public is minimal...so in reality, the public can only know what the information controllers allow them to, and that implies that this information could even be manipulated, so if a recipient of that information has no way of verifying it, the word of those informants and influencers would not be sufficient proof of its veracity.
Science makes no claims to 'absolutes'. This is the Bible's position. And when we see some of these 'absolutes' seem to fall apart, que the apologetics.
Eloi wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:43 am A personal experience: When I was a child I was very worried about an event that scholars said was going to happen in the future... I read about it in a vintage Russian magazine called Sputnik. Scholars said that in the year 2000 all men would be bald due to the indiscriminate use of hair brushes and others. Hehehehe. Science, right? The god of atheists.
And yet, you trust and rely upon 'science' on a daily bases. Again, "Science" does not offer absolutes. But the Bible does.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by Eloi »

Science is not atheist and, the Word of God, in an inspired by Him document, is far superior to any conclusion a human can come to. Yes, I trust the word of God more than the word of man. It's my choice, and you shouldn't care. Besides that, I am a science man :approve:

BTW, about the topic: "near" or "far" are relative terms. For what reason would the time of the Revelation prophecies be considered "near" to be fulfilled from the point of view of the angel speaking to John?

For me it is very easy to understand: There was a great deal of information given to John, intended for the Christian congregations that existed in that very moment.

POI
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by POI »

Eloi wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:02 am Science is not atheist and the Word of God, in an inspired by Him document, it is far superior to any conclusion a human can come to. Yes, I trust the word of God more than the word of man. It's my choice, and you shouldn't care. Besides that, I am a science man :approve:
Again, I will not debate an assumption, which is likely guided by fallacious reasoning.

And as a 'science man', you then know that you trust and rely upon 'science' daily ;)

Good day

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by Eloi »

Nobody is "debating" with you. There is not any point to debate with you in the first place. Or there is?

POI
Prodigy

Post #27

Post by POI »

Eloi wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:14 am There is not any point to debate with you in the first place.
I gather because my given points about you are deemed sound. Otherwise, I reckon you would 'debate' me.

BTW, please note the name of this website ;)
Last edited by POI on Fri May 13, 2022 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #28

Post by Eloi »

Not interested.

A good day to you.

POI
Prodigy

Post #29

Post by POI »

Eloi wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:20 am Not interested.

A good day to you.
I find when a person knows they are out of their league, they will often times no longer engage the topic at hand.

Please note the name of this website. If you care not to back up your volunteered assumptions, (which are likely fed by fallacious reasoning), then please refrain from 'debatingchristianity".

Have an excellent day

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #30

Post by Eloi »

:? You seem so desperate for attention. What is the point you want to discuss? Is it the topic of the thread?

None of my previous posts were addressed to you. The posts you wrote don't change at all anything I wrote... you haven't even raised an issue you want to debate. What is all this insistence on your part? I do not have time to lose.