How near was the time?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Athetotheist
Prodigy

How near was the time?

Post #1

Post by Athetotheist »

"Then he told me, “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this scroll, because the time is near."
(Rev. 22:10)

If the words of the prophecy weren't to be sealed up because the time was near, why wasn't it near enough for people who had the scroll still unsealed [around 1,900 years ago] to see the prophecy come about? Wouldn't they have expected to?

Miles
Savant

Re: How near was the time?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Athetotheist wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:22 am "Then he told me, “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this scroll, because the time is near."

If the words of the prophecy weren't to be sealed up because the time was near, why wasn't it near enough for people who had the scroll still unsealed [around 1,900 years ago] to see the prophecy come about? Wouldn't they have expected to?
Yup, just like all the other End Times predictions that were to occur before those who heard them would pass on. Failed predictions one and all. But saddest of all are the many, many failed Watch Tower Society PREDICTIONS made by Jehovah's Witnesses.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

Athetotheist wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:22 am "Then he told me, “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this scroll, because the time is near."

Maybe they were meaning the bible should be allowed to be added to?
Or maybe revelations was the writings of a mentally ill druggie or lunatic?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:48 am

Yup, just like all the other End Times predictions that were to occur before those who heard them would pass on. Failed predictions one and all. But saddest of all are the many, many failed Watch Tower Society PREDICTIONS made by Jehovah's Witnesses.

Well, when you don't celebrate birthdays or holidays, what else do ya' got to live for?!?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

theophile
Guru

Post #5

Post by theophile »

What time was near? Food for thought: are the end times described in Revelation like the end of a timeline that we are fast approaching and should expect to see in our lives? Or is it more of an 'always-the-case' kind of thing? As in, the end is always upon us, could happen any second -- like a thief in the night kind of thing?

To your question, I'm sure many people expected something more climactic than what actually happened. If not actual beasts and monsters and such as described. I'm just not sure that's what was meant.

POI
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by POI »

theophile wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:36 pm

What time was near? Food for thought: are the end times described in Revelation like the end of a timeline that we are fast approaching and should expect to see in our lives? Or is it more of an 'always-the-case' kind of thing? As in, the end is always upon us, could happen any second -- like a thief in the night kind of thing?

To your question, I'm sure many people expected something more climactic than what actually happened. If not actual beasts and monsters and such as described. I'm just not sure that's what was meant.
Please define prophetic? I don't mean simply copying/pasting a quick definition found on the internet, but please explain prophecy? When reading the Bible, it looks as though the Bible attempts to make many future predictions. BUT, are any of these prophetic pronouncements accurately explained, with enough detail; as to not chalk it up to nothing more than somewhat vague and unspecific pronouncements -- which can be interpreted in multiple direction(s)? You know, like reading Nostradamus, or going to your nearest fortune teller, or calling the psychic network?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Athetotheist »

If the end times are an "always-the-case kind of thing", why does verse 11 call for an end to evangelism?

"He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still."

theophile
Guru

Post #8

Post by theophile »

POI wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:49 pm

Please define prophetic? I don't mean simply copying/pasting a quick definition found on the internet, but please explain prophecy? When reading the Bible, it looks as though the Bible attempts to make many future predictions. BUT, are any of these prophetic pronouncements accurately explained, with enough detail; as to not chalk it up to nothing more than somewhat vague and unspecific pronouncements -- which can be interpreted in multiple direction(s)? You know, like reading Nostradamus, or going to your nearest fortune teller, or calling the psychic network?
'Prophetic' is prediction of the natural outcome of an action. It is essentially common sense. e.g., Adam / Israel, if you act this way, then judgment and death will come upon you. It's not saying Adam / Israel will die because of that specific action, but that the action itself tends towards death. It is the natural outcome and can be predicted (prophetically). (Like saying to a child, "if you touch that, you're gonna get burned...")

The prophets of the bible predict an approaching justice / death just as Revelation predicts an end time. They are all always already upon us, to my first point. They could happen at any time / they are always near.

theophile
Guru

Post #9

Post by theophile »

Athetotheist wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:28 pm

If the end times are an "always-the-case kind of thing", why does verse 11 call for an end to evangelism?

"He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still."
So that they can be judged and their fate decided (when the man comes around). Life or death, per my post above, and what the natural outcome of their action is.

POI
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by POI »

theophile wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:30 pm
POI wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:49 pm

'Prophetic' is prediction of the natural outcome of an action. It is essentially common sense. e.g., Adam / Israel, if you act this way, then judgment and death will come upon you. It's not saying Adam / Israel will die because of that specific action, but that the action itself tends towards death. It is the natural outcome and can be predicted (prophetically). (Like saying to a child, "if you touch that, you're gonna get burned...")

The prophets of the bible predict an approaching justice / death just as Revelation predicts an end time. They are all always already upon us, to my first point. They could happen at any time / they are always near.
Then there looks to be nothing profound or special about this particular set of writings, verses any of the other countless collection(s) of 'predictions'; as aforementioned in my prior response. Anyone can say, 'the end is near', about virtually anything. And when anyone questions you, you can just give the response you gave above ;)
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."