Is faith for the lazy?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Is faith for the lazy?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

To have faith in something, you have to believe and hope that, against what seems normal, your desired end result comes to fruition.
Want to be cured of your terminal disease? Have faith.
Want to be able to pay your bill, even though your account shows you can't? Have faith.
Want to think your loved ones will make it to heaven? Have faith.
But is 'having faith' showing you're weak?
Want to be cured of your terminal disease? Why not get off your butt and seek medical treatment?
Want to be able to pay your bills? How's 'bout you get another or different job?
Want your loved ones to get to heaven? Do something about it.

There are those that both, have faith and work to better their situation. But are they doing enough?

For discussion:
Does the act of 'having faith' allow for laziness within believers, relying only on their belief in god and not their own ability to better themselves?*

*This is not to say, explicitly, that all believers are lazy (though there is an argument for that as well), but by having faith either allows for more laziness or is held by people who are more likely to be lazy.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Willum
Savant

Re: Is faith for the lazy?

Post #2

Post by Willum »

Let’s see:
Where do babies come from?
Godidit.
Where did the Earth come from?
Godidit.
Where did everything come from?
Godidit.
Where does lightning come from?
Godidit.

Yep, God is for the lazy.

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

Q. Is faith for the lazy?

A. For the lazy and the desperate.

I think faith, the excuse people give for trusting a belief when they lack good evidence for it, is a last ditch, feel-good reason for asserting the truth of something that has no truth.

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

Willum wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:06 pm Let’s see:
Godidit.
Godidit.
Godidit.
Godidit.

The ultimate Godidit..

Genesis Chapter 1.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

Ahhh yes. Sensationalism.

Anyways..

Christian faith: Pray to God and he will come through for you.

Atheist/Naturalist faith: Give it some time, and the question(s) will be answered with science.

Common denominator; faith.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #6

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Willum wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:06 pm Let’s see:
Godidit.
Godidit.
Godidit.
Godidit.

:D It certainly looks easy - just affirm magic as the answer to all problems or questions and deny anything to the contrary. But you know, what is remarkable is how much work, effort and stress it seems to involve these people in on the long run. We have seen (have we not ;) ) how it's easy to explain the origins of earth, life and humans as Goddunnit and just dismiss "Evilooshun" out of hand. Simple and easy, and might be 'Lazy'; and dismissal and denial easy (and lazy); but the amount of effort and stress that must be involved in pushing away the constant evidence that they are wrong..well I would not want to be in that position.

Sure, it is possible to swash the resultant doubts and worries away by prancing about in a megachurch, but nobody can stay off their heads permanently. The cold harsh morning of sobering up or cold poultry will come again and again, and I'd suggest kicking the habit, believer, since you have nothing to lose but your mental chains.

Of course, I understand that doing such may lead to losing family, job and place in society. But one can always fake it 'till you break it.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #7

Post by TRANSPONDER »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:06 am [Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

Ahhh yes. Sensationalism.

Anyways..

Christian faith: Pray to God and he will come through for you.

Atheist/Naturalist faith: Give it some time, and the question(s) will be answered with science.

Common denominator; faith.
Believers habitually misapprehend the equivocation involved in 'Faith/Trust/belief'. But it's actually quite simple; evidence. Evidence is that life (however it started) evolved.Aside postulating a god behind that evolution, rejection of that evidence because of Faith in Genesis is invalid, illogical and against the evidence. 'Faith' in evolution in fact follows the evidence and a god (name your own) behind it is...just a matter of Faith.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

The bible says ...

So no biblical faith is not for the "lazy".

To read learn please go to other posts related to ....

FAITH, GOD and ...THE BIBLE

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:03 am The bible says ...

So no biblical faith is not for the "lazy".

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
Well, that documents what the bible says and your interpretation of what it says. Neither offering proves that either are true.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Tcg wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:10 am
Well, that documents what the bible says and your interpretation of what it says. Neither offering proves that either are true.

Tcg
I've offered documented and verifiable evidence supporting my claim that faith according to the bible is not for the lazy. If you would like to challenge my conclusion, which does not deal with whether the bible is true but offers what I believe to be a reasonable interpretation of the words found at James 2:26, feel free.

If you would like to discuss theological "truth" of the contents of the bible, it might be better if you attempt to do so to a more suitable subforum.
otseng wrote: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:53 am
7. For debates purely on theology with the assumption that the Bible is an authoritative source, please consider posting in the Theology, Doctrine, and Dogma subforum.
If you would like to start a thread here in this subforum "on the subject of biblical truth, feel free to start another thread to that end. For my part, I'm happy to leave the issue of truth and any assumption that the bible is authoritive aside and just discuss (as have all the other contributors so far) whether, one can reasonably conclude that faith (as defined by the dogma of the Christian religion ) could be considered as something for the "lazy" as per the OP.. I propose, in referencing the sacred text of said religion in support of my conclusion, no.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8