Your miracle

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Your miracle

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Some say miracles are real, while others say they're not. The naysayers often point out to limbs not growing back, other dead people not raising up and 'living their best life', no one since Mosses has interacted with a talking and burning bush that's not consumed, etc.
Yet believers do point out that Billy Bobchristian was 'healed' from his sin. Or Bobby Billchristian survived his 11th hour surgery that saved his life. And the like.

For discussion:
So, here's your chance, believers, once and for all. What miracle have you experienced that you KNOW was a miracle and that it was from god (if you're willing to have it, potentially, challenged - and why shouldn't you? You have faith it's real that's all that matter to you, right? Why not use this time to witness the power of your god?!?)?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Re: Your miracle

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:41 am ...
So, here's your chance, believers, once and for all. What miracle have you experienced that you KNOW was a miracle and that it was from god (if you're willing to have it, potentially, challenged - and why shouldn't you? You have faith it's real that's all that matter to you, right? Why not use this time to witness the power of your god?!?)?
I think this life is a miracle and that we have had this short period of quite free world. If this life would not be from God, I would like to know how we got life?

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:58 am If this life would not be from God, I would like to know how we got life?
No mystery here, from your mommy and daddy of course.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

brunumb
Savant

Post #4

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:58 am
I think this life is a miracle and that we have had this short period of quite free world. If this life would not be from God, I would like to know how we got life?
Another Claytons response. Try responding to the OP as it was intended, or not at all.

And to answer your question, we got this life as the outcome of abiogenesis and evolution. If you don't find that a satisfactory answer, it is at least as good as God-did-it.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #5

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I look forward to seeing some real miracles. Playing the 'If we can't explain it, must be God' gambit is without weight, quite apart from there being a reasonably hypothetical mechanism of origins of Life, circumstantial evidence that it happened as Palaeontology rather than Genesis says and even if there was any decent evidence that a god dunnit, it still doesn't tell us Which god.

But here's my miracle - answered prayer.

I'd been travelling in my 20's - 30's and I'd met a very nice girl. We planned to get married a few years later but there was a problem - to get a visa for her I needed a proper house, and not the tiny apartment I was living in. But just at the perfect time, the Office relocated to outside the capital (to save on rent) and I was able to sell my flat for a stack of cash just before the housing bubble burst. I was able to get a four...well three bedrooms and a shoebox... house and so my prayers were answered.

Except of course I'd not prayed, didn't believe in God and cannot explain why a 'miracle' would happen to an atheist while some Christians I'd known hadn't done so well whether or not they'd been praying about it.

The conclusion is that this was just a very lucky coincidence of the kind that would certainly be wagged about as a Miracle (or answered prayer) by a Christian rummaging about for evidence. But it shows that even inexplicable events in life do not have to be miracles or answered prayers, which means that such is evidence of nothing at all, even aside that finding car keys or excuses as to why a prayer wasn't answered ("Sometimes God says No"} is just self -delusions and denialist excuses of the Faithful to reject the best case hypothesis - there is no good evidence for God.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Goat »

1213 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:58 am
Through the development of more complex chemical reactions from pimplier self replicating molecules, probably self replicating RNA .
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

Goat wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:50 pm ...
Through the development of more complex chemical reactions from pimplier self replicating molecules, probably self replicating RNA .
If that is possible, where we can see it in nature, life from non living material?

Savant

Post #8

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:03 am
1213 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:58 am If this life would not be from God, I would like to know how we got life?
No mystery here, from your mommy and daddy of course.
Parents don't give life, they give birth, allow the life to continue.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Goat »

1213 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:08 pm
If that is possible, where we can see it in nature, life from non living material?
Why yes it is. Take a look at plants. Plants take non liviing material and turn it into plant, which is living material
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #10

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:08 pm
How about plants from seeds? Are seeds 'alive?'