Can anyone give good reason to believe Yahweh is not a demon?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Demand animal sacrifices.
Demand the Hebrew commit genocide for a cultural misunderstanding.
A demon would murder planets because he was having a tantrum.
When the Hebrew's generations were weakened by following it, had them undergo genocides themselves.
A demon would allow Adam and Eve to be corrupted, for reasons opaque. (Perfect beings not intending to sin, sinning.)
A demon would be defeated by a greater power (Satan) yet claim victory.
A demon would turn people to salt for looking back.
A demon would claim to love you, while sending most folks to Hell.
A demon would write a book saying he was good, omnipotent and full of all sorts of propaganda.
A demon would re-name itself "God," to capitalize on the conflation with the benevolence of deities.

...and so on.

Can anyone provide good reason to not suspect Yahweh is a demon?

Willum
Savant

Re: Can anyone give good reason to believe Yahweh is not a demon?

Post #31

Post by Willum »

[Replying to Wootah in post #30]
Personally, I agree. One man's righteous God is another man's horrific demon. I would hold onto this notion and then dig deeper.
One should also consider how the worshipers of such a creature are.
When genocide is in their favor, Hoseanna!, when they are in the gas chambers in the name of their god, it's atrocity.

When they are taking slaves, it's because they are a superior race, when taken slaves, it is an affront to their demon-god.

It's all very interesting, and, when you consider the history of other cultures, their's is not so very special, and in most ways, not special at all... except they, and their spin-offs, seem to be the only humans left still believing the fairytales of their previous generations.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Wootah
Savant

Post #32

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Willum in post #31]

The more I understand the Bible God is very one-eyed for his people/children. Isn't that how parents are meant to be though?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Willum
Savant

Post #33

Post by Willum »

[Replying to Wootah in post #32]

That makes no sense to me… it’s worse if you follow the Bible.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

William
Savant

Post #34

Post by William »

Wootah wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:18 pm [Replying to Willum in post #31]

The more I understand the Bible God is very one-eyed for his people/children. Isn't that how parents are meant to be though?
GM: Lean into it
The Right Tool For The Job
Like a doting parent
Calling the shots

"Peace! We are invited to the feast! Inside my heart delights at the action I must take Lest I forget the taming of the beast within Lest I forget the heart that aches!"
Intelligent
"I Ensure The Hierarchy Serves It's Purpose"
{SOURCE}

Wootah
Savant

Post #35

Post by Wootah »

I think what I am getting at is that a very good person is a demon for a very bad person.

Really the vast majority of hero movies, Die Hard for example, could also be viewed as a man trying to achieve his dreams of wealth and to finally be happy is prevented by another man who ruins his dreams and kills all his friends.

We watch a horror movie and watch the bad guy stalk and kill all the teenagers in it but isn't that actually what we also watch when we watch a hero movie.

It's no wonder people see God as a demon.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #36

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:59 pm I think what I am getting at is that a very good person is a demon for a very bad person.

Really the vast majority of hero movies, Die Hard for example, could also be viewed as a man trying to achieve his dreams of wealth and to finally be happy is prevented by another man who ruins his dreams and kills all his friends.

We watch a horror movie and watch the bad guy stalk and kill all the teenagers in it but isn't that actually what we also watch when we watch a hero movie.

It's no wonder people see God as a demon.
I'm just not seeing a lot of heroes calling for us to stone the gheys.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

William
Savant

Post #37

Post by William »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #36]
I'm just not seeing a lot of heroes calling for us to stone the gheys.
That might have something to do with the story-tellers demonizing GOD... by making out that GOD is like them...

Willum
Savant

Post #38

Post by Willum »

[Replying to Wootah in post #35]
I think what I am getting at is that a very good person is a demon for a very bad person.
That is what someone, poisoned by demon worship, would say - being unable to distinguish good from evil, since their evil deity sets their standards for good.

Obviously, it is the one initiating harm for their own benefit.

Wootah
Savant

Post #39

Post by Wootah »

Willum wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:41 pm [Replying to Wootah in post #35]
That is what someone, poisoned by demon worship, would say - being unable to distinguish good from evil, since their evil deity sets their standards for good.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #40

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:45 am
Willum wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:41 pm [Replying to Wootah in post #35]

This is fun, it's like being a parrot.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin