Guru

The Biblical God's conduct and culpability

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

I read the following:

Source: https://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/ ... dened.html
Who hardened the Pharaoh's heart?

God did.

And the LORD said unto Moses, When thou goest to return into Egypt, see that thou do all those wonders before Pharaoh, which I have put in thine hand: but I will harden his heart, that he shall not let the people go. Exodus 4:21
And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and multiply my signs and my wonders in the land of Egypt. Exodus 7:3

And he hardened Pharaoh's heart, that he hearkened not unto them; as the LORD had said. Exodus 7:13

And the LORD hardened the heart of Pharaoh, and he hearkened not unto them; as the LORD had spoken unto Moses. Exodus 9:12

And the LORD said unto Moses, Go in unto Pharaoh: for I have hardened his heart, and the heart of his servants, that I might shew these my signs before him. Exodus 10:1

But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart, so that he would not let the children of Israel go. Exodus 10:20

But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart, and he would not let them go. Exodus 10:27

And Moses and Aaron did all these wonders before Pharaoh: and the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart, so that he would not let the children of Israel go out of his land. Exodus 11:10

And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, that he shall follow after them; and I will be honoured upon Pharaoh, and upon all his host; that the Egyptians may know that I am the LORD. Exodus 14:4

And the LORD hardened the heart of Pharaoh king of Egypt, and he pursued after the children of Israel. Exodus 14:8

I will harden the hearts of the Egyptians, and they shall follow them: and I will get me honour. Exodus 14:18

The Pharaoh did.

But when Pharaoh saw that there was respite, he hardened his heart. Exodus 8:15
And Pharaoh hardened his heart at this time also, neither would he let the people go. Exodus 8:32

And when Pharaoh saw that the rain and the hail and the thunders were ceased, he sinned yet more, and hardened his heart, he and his servants. Exodus 9:34

Wherefore then do ye harden your hearts, as the Egyptians and Pharaoh hardened their hearts? 1 Samuel 6:6
Then I read the following: https://www.gotquestions.org/God-harden ... heart.html

Also read: Isaiah 45:9 (NLT)
“What sorrow awaits those who argue with their Creator.
Does a clay pot argue with its maker?
Does the clay dispute with the one who shapes it, saying,
‘Stop, you’re doing it wrong!’
Does the pot exclaim,
‘How clumsy can you be?’
I am convinced that it is morally wrong of the Biblical God to harden the Pharaoh's heart and then punish him for it. I disagree with the stance of the Got Questions Team about this. We are not clay pots. We are sentient beings. All sentient biological beings feel pain and that gives us rights. If God is causing us pain and death then God is culpable. Am I the only one or are there others who feel the same way?

Savant

Re: The Biblical God's conduct and culpability

Post #91

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:08 am ....Two humans allegedly committed the most heinous crime of disobedience that involved no harm to anyone, and as a consequence God rejected them ...
I don't think that is true, God gave them what they wanted, should be happy.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #92

Post by Compassionist »

William wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:53 pm [Replying to Compassionist in post #65]
Yes, you are a victim.
According to my connect with the "Cosmic Mind", I am informed that I am 'nobodies victim - ever." I agree with the assessment, even while understanding your own propensity to think of yourself [and everyone else] as victims.
Even the fact that you are in denial about being a victim is inevitable.
Given the information I receive, I agree - it is inevitable - I deny it, because it is not true. So far you have shown me no evidence to the contrary.
Did you choose to conceive yourself?
According to the information I have received, yes - I did choose to enter this experiential reality - even knowing prior to doing so, that I would lose all memory of my prior existence as a result.
Did you choose your genes?

Yes. I chose everything.
Can you do any of the tasks I asked you to do? No. You are a victim from conception to death. As are all living things.
I chose to be part of this experiential reality, even knowing that I would not be able to do the tasks you asked me to do, and that this experiential reality would be short-lived.
I define free will as a will that is free to do anything and is not determined by any variables. Such free will does not exist in biological organisms. Only an all-knowing and all-powerful being has free will.
Please explain the reason behind your belief that an omniscient and omnipotent being has free will.
What is the Cosmic Mind? How did you connect with the Cosmic Mind? How do you know that you chose your genes? How could you possibly choose your genes given the fact that you didn't exist before you were conceived?

Definition of free will: A will that is free from all constraints and is not determined by any variables e.g. genes, environments, nutrients and experiences. Omniscience and omnipotence allow one a will that is free from all constraints and a will that is not determined by any variables. I have never met an entity that was all-knowing and all-powerful. So, the existence of such an entity is hypothetical.

Definition of constrained will: A will that is constrained and is determined by variables e.g. genes, environments, nutrients and experiences. Biological organisms have constrained will.
Last edited by Compassionist on Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #93

Post by Compassionist »

William wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:26 pm [Replying to Compassionist in post #69]
Compassionist: I have never wanted to be alive. I think about suicide every few minutes. I hate all the suffering, injustice and deaths but I can't go back in time and prevent all suffering, injustice and deaths. I want to make all living things forever happy but I can't. My lack of omnniscience and omnipotence makes me so sad. I want live without consuming any oxygen, water and food but I can't. I am a vegan but I want to me much more ethical then just being a vegan. I want to be a total non-consumer who consumes nothing and has zero ecological footprint. I feel terrible that my existence has made climate change worse. Every time I exhale, fart, burp, cough and sneeze I expel carbon dioxide which makes climate change worse. I am ashamed of my existence and the harm my existence has caused to other living things. I wish I was never conceived.
[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #72]
TRANSPONDER: I feel for you and (while I have had my problems) I can't put myself in your position. I do hope that you can get help to attain a better frame of mind. But while I understand where you are coming from, that does not make it an empirical verity for anyone else. Let alone any kind of argument for God or against humanism.
[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #70]
TRANSPONDER: Firstly, I am distressed to hear that you are in a delicate state of mind. I think you are missing out on a lot and I might suggest that you get some advice. A lot of depression can be helped by a pill or two.
I understand what it is like to be in the deep hole in which feeling ashamed for being human and wishing to be dead [and contemplating killing myself to make it so] has me thinking.

However, once I sourced the reason for why I had such feelings, I was able to climb from said deep hole and have no logical reason to be dragged back into it whilst attempting to help another out of it.

The rope one is offered can either be used to climb out of the situation, or hang oneself with. However, it is pertinent to point out that killing oneself does not automatically guarantee one will be free of oneself.

I started a thread in the chat section of the Message Board. I called it;

Is it pertinent to prepare for more experience upon death of the body?

In post #3 the subject is;

Distressing Near-Death Experiences:

One story [re suicide] is this;
A woman who attempted suicide felt her body sliding downward in a cold, dark, watery environment: “When I reached the bottom, it resembled the entrance to a cave, with what looked like webs hanging…. I heard cries, wails, moans, and the gnashing of teeth. I saw these beings that resembled humans, with the shape of a head and body, but they were ugly and grotesque…. They were frightening and sounded like they were tormented, in agony.”
and;
A woman who attempted suicide felt herself sucked into a void: “I was being drawn into this dark abyss, or tunnel, or void…. I was not aware of my body as I know it…. I was terrified. I felt terror. I had expected nothingness; I expected the big sleep; I expected oblivion; and I found now that I was going to another plane … and it frightened me. I wanted nothingness, but this force was pulling me somewhere I didn’t want to go, but I never got beyond the fog.”
Search the web and there will be a multitude of similar stories from those who attempted suicide and had a horrific experience of it - worse than anything they had previously experienced in their life which contributed to their decision to end it all.

What sane fellow would take the advice of someone who admits to hating the human experience and to having suicidal thoughts? In asking me to accept that I am a victim of circumstance, you are inviting me to risk being suicidal as such belief clearly takes the personality to such a place and how is that even helpful?

Since suicide cannot guarantee me relief from my beliefs and whirlpool thoughts, I would not risk leaving this experiential reality with a boot-load of unanswered questions which lead me to decide on such course of action, because taking that baggage on to a possible next-experiential reality might well amplify the despair, rather than deal a death-blow to it.

If the above appears to be in a non-empathic tone - please understand that it is not my intention to add to your despair, but it is my intention to let you know on no uncertain terms, that I am not going to buy into the despair you already own/clutch to yourself.

Seek help - take the meds - listen to the professionals - or find a way to pull yourself up by your own bootstraps but please to not insist that others see their own lives through the lens of your particular understanding.

And furthermore, be aware that I am passing your messages through my own connection with the "Cosmic Mind" -
Re: Generating Messages
Post #222
I haven't advised anyone to do anything. Where did you get that from? I am discussing some aspects of reality e.g. determinism, culpability, justice, etc.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #94

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:48 am
Compassionist wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:01 pm My plan to prevent all suffering, injustice and deaths does not involve killing anything. It involves making all living things omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnipotent and giving every living thing an infinite number of universes each.
So, you would not give freedom. I think that is quite evil.
Compassionist wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:01 pmJust because you claim that you have free will, it does not mean you do. Your choices are determined by your genes, environments, nutrients and experiences.
Can you prove that? What is the evidence for that my choices are determined by genes,...?
Compassionist wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:01 pm...
What is your definition of free will? What makes your definition more accurate than my definition of free will?
Free will means person can freely wish or desire anything he wants, because:

"...not determined by anything beyond its own nature or being : choosing or capable of choosing for itself..."
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/free

"...to have a wish or desire..."
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/will
I do not understand why Bible apologists think that appeal to the Eden scenario is going to impress skeptics. How many Christians even believe that event to be true? Taken as a story, it looks like a put - up job to make sure that humans sinned so they and their descendants could be marked. And the blame is shifted to the humans and their children. It is disgusting, and the only defence (other than appeal to terror of the dictator) is to see it as a metaphor. But as a metaphor, it tells us nothing other than 'Sin' is not explained by the Bible and we have to look somewhere else. Evolved morality is where we are better advised to look, rather than these old and foolish myths.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #95

Post by Compassionist »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:42 pm Yes, but it is still under the free will heading rather than no free will. It is still free will even if not total free will. Making it a subset (constrained free will) does not make it No free will.
You are arguing for the existence of a constrained will. I already said that we have a constrained will.

Please see:

and

Compassionist
Guru

Post #96

Post by Compassionist »

1213 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:49 am
brunumb wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:08 am ....Two humans allegedly committed the most heinous crime of disobedience that involved no harm to anyone, and as a consequence God rejected them ...
I don't think that is true, God gave them what they wanted, should be happy.
You have to prove the Bible to be true before citing Biblical accounts as truths. No one has yet proven the Bible to be true.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #97

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Compassionist wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:22 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:42 pm Yes, but it is still under the free will heading rather than no free will. It is still free will even if not total free will. Making it a subset (constrained free will) does not make it No free will.
You are arguing for the existence of a constrained will. I already said that we have a constrained will.

Please see:

and
I know. But that is still more than not having any free will. Not having total free will is not having No free will. If you are using those videos to make a point about free will, could you please say just what it is supposed to prove and I'll consider whether to watch them. To be honest, while I don't wish to inflate my ego, I have seen too many 'Experts' fall down on their logic.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #98

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Compassionist wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:57 am
William wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:26 pm [Replying to Compassionist in post #69]
Compassionist: I have never wanted to be alive. I think about suicide every few minutes. I hate all the suffering, injustice and deaths but I can't go back in time and prevent all suffering, injustice and deaths. I want to make all living things forever happy but I can't. My lack of omnniscience and omnipotence makes me so sad. I want live without consuming any oxygen, water and food but I can't. I am a vegan but I want to me much more ethical then just being a vegan. I want to be a total non-consumer who consumes nothing and has zero ecological footprint. I feel terrible that my existence has made climate change worse. Every time I exhale, fart, burp, cough and sneeze I expel carbon dioxide which makes climate change worse. I am ashamed of my existence and the harm my existence has caused to other living things. I wish I was never conceived.
[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #72]
TRANSPONDER: I feel for you and (while I have had my problems) I can't put myself in your position. I do hope that you can get help to attain a better frame of mind. But while I understand where you are coming from, that does not make it an empirical verity for anyone else. Let alone any kind of argument for God or against humanism.
[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #70]
TRANSPONDER: Firstly, I am distressed to hear that you are in a delicate state of mind. I think you are missing out on a lot and I might suggest that you get some advice. A lot of depression can be helped by a pill or two.
I understand what it is like to be in the deep hole in which feeling ashamed for being human and wishing to be dead [and contemplating killing myself to make it so] has me thinking.

However, once I sourced the reason for why I had such feelings, I was able to climb from said deep hole and have no logical reason to be dragged back into it whilst attempting to help another out of it.

The rope one is offered can either be used to climb out of the situation, or hang oneself with. However, it is pertinent to point out that killing oneself does not automatically guarantee one will be free of oneself.

I started a thread in the chat section of the Message Board. I called it;

Is it pertinent to prepare for more experience upon death of the body?

In post #3 the subject is;

Distressing Near-Death Experiences:

One story [re suicide] is this;
A woman who attempted suicide felt her body sliding downward in a cold, dark, watery environment: “When I reached the bottom, it resembled the entrance to a cave, with what looked like webs hanging…. I heard cries, wails, moans, and the gnashing of teeth. I saw these beings that resembled humans, with the shape of a head and body, but they were ugly and grotesque…. They were frightening and sounded like they were tormented, in agony.”
and;
A woman who attempted suicide felt herself sucked into a void: “I was being drawn into this dark abyss, or tunnel, or void…. I was not aware of my body as I know it…. I was terrified. I felt terror. I had expected nothingness; I expected the big sleep; I expected oblivion; and I found now that I was going to another plane … and it frightened me. I wanted nothingness, but this force was pulling me somewhere I didn’t want to go, but I never got beyond the fog.”
Search the web and there will be a multitude of similar stories from those who attempted suicide and had a horrific experience of it - worse than anything they had previously experienced in their life which contributed to their decision to end it all.

What sane fellow would take the advice of someone who admits to hating the human experience and to having suicidal thoughts? In asking me to accept that I am a victim of circumstance, you are inviting me to risk being suicidal as such belief clearly takes the personality to such a place and how is that even helpful?

Since suicide cannot guarantee me relief from my beliefs and whirlpool thoughts, I would not risk leaving this experiential reality with a boot-load of unanswered questions which lead me to decide on such course of action, because taking that baggage on to a possible next-experiential reality might well amplify the despair, rather than deal a death-blow to it.

If the above appears to be in a non-empathic tone - please understand that it is not my intention to add to your despair, but it is my intention to let you know on no uncertain terms, that I am not going to buy into the despair you already own/clutch to yourself.

Seek help - take the meds - listen to the professionals - or find a way to pull yourself up by your own bootstraps but please to not insist that others see their own lives through the lens of your particular understanding.

And furthermore, be aware that I am passing your messages through my own connection with the "Cosmic Mind" -
Re: Generating Messages
Post #222
I haven't advised anyone to do anything. Where did you get that from? I am discussing some aspects of reality e.g. determinism, culpability, justice, etc.
Agreed. Whether or not discussion of determinism has any real bearing on God's culpability (in the context of the Bible -stories, believe them or not) the above stuff on NDE's seems irrelevant, since it doesn't appear to even be presented as evidence for an afterlife.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #99

Post by Compassionist »

Compassionist wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:01 pm My plan to prevent all suffering, injustice and deaths does not involve killing anything. It involves making all living things omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnipotent and giving every living thing an infinite number of universes each.
Compassionist wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:01 pmJust because you claim that you have free will, it does not mean you do. Your choices are determined by your genes, environments, nutrients and experiences.
Can you prove that? What is the evidence for that my choices are determined by genes,...?
What is your definition of free will? What makes your definition more accurate than my definition of free will?

"...not determined by anything beyond its own nature or being : choosing or capable of choosing for itself..."

In a deterministic reality, it is impossible to be free. I think omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnipotent beings would be the best decision makers. I am omnibenevolent but I am not omniscient and I am not omnipotent. So, I can't do all the omnibenevolent things I want to do e.g. make all living things forever happy.

Tardigrades can live without oxygen, water and food. I and you don't have all the genes tardigrades do. That's why I and you can't do what tardigrades do. This proves that genes play key roles in determining our choices. If you want to prove me wrong, please do what the tardigrades do even though you don't have their genes.

What good is a wish or desire if you can't make the wish or desire real? I want to make all living things forever happy but I can't make it happen. I became a vegan because I felt sad for all the suffering and deaths caused by non-vegans. I can't even make all the non-vegans vegan. I feel so frustrated that I have a constrained will instead of having a free will which would grant me the power to do what I want to do.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #100

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Compassionist wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:36 pm

In a deterministic reality, it is impossible to be free. I think omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnipotent beings would be the best decision makers. I am omnibenevolent but I am not omniscient and I am not omnipotent. So, I can't do all the omnibenevolent things I want to do e.g. make all living things forever happy.

Tardigrades can live without oxygen, water and food. I and you don't have all the genes tardigrades do. That's why I and you can't do what tardigrades do. This proves that genes play key roles in determining our choices. If you want to prove me wrong, please do what the tardigrades do even though you don't have their genes.

What good is a wish or desire if you can't make the wish or desire real? I want to make all living things forever happy but I can't make it happen. I became a vegan because I felt sad for all the suffering and deaths caused by non-vegans. I can't even make all the non-vegans vegan. I feel so frustrated that I have a constrained will instead of having a free will which would grant me the power to do what I want to do.
:D I have no wish to be a more than Mary Sue. I am happy to accept the restriction to not be able to breathe underwater, change colour or even recall everything I've ever read, see musical tones as colour or calculate algorithms in my head. I'll settle for what I can do fairly well and rejoice that a hawk may have better eyesight than me, bit it couldn't stirfty a Khaphrao. And the mechanism of choice is good enough and I don't miss that it's not perfect coinflip or unlimited abilities.