Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

God Interferes

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 1319 here...
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Furthermore, God has intervened in the status quo numerous times so clearly can and will take actions that would not occur unless he took said action.
For debate:

Please offer some means to confirm the claim is true and factual.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: God Interferes

Post #11

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:50 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:03 am From Post 1319 here...
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Furthermore, God has intervened in the status quo numerous times so clearly can and will take actions that would not occur unless he took said action.
For debate:

I regard the question as stated, as worded, to have been answered.
I reckon any response is an answer.

Is there a particular post in this thread where you regard an answer as putting any truth to the referenced claims?
So now I'd like to ask a question, did the OP really mean to ask this question:

"Please offer some means to influence me so that I will say 'I believe you' "

Is that the actual intended question?
If you influenced me to believe you were a competent debater, would you magically become one?
-Punkinhead Martin

Sherlock Holmes

Post #12

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:13 pm
For debate:

Is there a particular post in this thread where you regard an answer as putting any truth to the referenced claims?

If you influenced me to believe you were a competent debater, would you magically become one?

Tcg
Savant

Post #13

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #1]

My step daughter is a veteran ICU nurse. This week we were discussing some of her more memorable experiences at work. One of those was of a man who did not have a life threatening illness, was healing up quite nicely and in fact was scheduled to go home in one day's time. Sadly, he took a turn for the worse and inexplicably died the night before his release.

One way to explain this is that God interfered with natural processes and killed the man. There of course is no way to verify that this claim is true and factual. The same is true of cases that go the other way and folks make a "miraculous" recovery. There is no way to connect these or any other events to the actions of any god/gods.

Belief in god/gods is purely faith based. Once on takes the leap to do so, then it is not uncommon to see most everything as the result of god/gods interference. Odd thing is, no one can actually present the god/gods themselves, simply the claims about their supposed actions. Talk about padding a resume.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:39 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:13 pm
For debate:

I'm encouraged to see you've learned how to look up definitions foe the big words all by yourself.

But discouraged you couldn't find a post within this thread that puts truth to the challenged claims.

I propose if you could actually put truth to the claims challenged in the OP, we wouldn't be having all this extraneous goofiness going on.
-Punkinhead Martin

brunumb
Savant

Post #15

Post by brunumb »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:42 am It has a name The Historical Method, that's the method, that's the answer to your question, the question "Please offer some means", that's the means, the Historical Method is the means.
Now apply that method and answer Joey's specific question.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

brunumb
Savant

Post #16

Post by brunumb »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:45 pm The thing with Spartacus is that there is no obvious reason why the tale should have been invented. It could be a tall story to frighten the Romans so they'd keep the Gladiators under supervision and increase the funding to the army.
I really don't know or care if Spartacus existed or not. It makes absolutely no difference to my life.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #17

Post by JoeyKnothead »

brunumb wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:24 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:45 pm The thing with Spartacus is that there is no obvious reason why the tale should have been invented. It could be a tall story to frighten the Romans so they'd keep the Gladiators under supervision and increase the funding to the army.
I really don't know or care if Spartacus existed or not. It makes absolutely no difference to my life.
I'm just .not hearing how Spartacus hates the gays, so we oughta stone em to death.

Among other goofy notions.
-Punkinhead Martin

brunumb
Savant

Post #18

Post by brunumb »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:28 pm I'm just .not hearing how Spartacus hates the gays, so we oughta stone em to death.
Ah, yes, but he didn't say we ought not stone them. ;)

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #19

Post by benchwarmer »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:10 pm The NT is quite exceptional when it comes to documents from antiquity:

It all therefore comes down to how one interprets all this, different people will and do interpret this in different ways.
Harry Potter is also quite exceptional (bolding mine):

http://mediaroom.scholastic.com/files/2 ... PT2018.pdf
1. Scholastic published Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone in the U.S. in September 1998. The
book by then debut author J.K. Rowling had an initial first printing of 50,000 copies
7. More than 500 million copies of the Harry Potter books have sold worldwide; more than 180
million copies have sold in the U.S. alone.
20. If all the Harry Potter books ever sold were placed end to end, they would go around the
equator over 16 times.
The above was from 2018, so we have a span of 20 years and > 500 million copies. What does this tell us? It tells me this book is popular. It certainly doesn't tell us that Hogwarts is a real school for magicians.

I always laugh when someone brings up the number of Bibles printed. As if that is some measure of it's truth or validity. In the age of the internet, we can ALL access any published (to the internet) material. Does this mean it's all true because we can all read it? Clearly not.

I suggest another avenue for validating the truth of any claims from the Bible. Like verifiable (by the person you are trying to convince) evidence.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #20

Post by TRANSPONDER »

brunumb wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:24 pm
Thanks. I was wondering whether to make the point that Spartacus makes no difference to our lifestyle or morality whether he was real or not, but Jesus does. I just thought that it wasn't directly relevant to the pure parameters for whether some old records of lives or events were considered more credible than others. I rather put the Gospels (the whole Bible, in fact) somewhere between Homer and the Icelandic sagas in terms of literal believability. There are perhaps some elements that are credible, even if only life familiar to the writer. There may be garbled history. The Viking discovery of America now seems to be validated, as does Troy in some form. So Jesus is not just 'believe or not', but it has to be evaluated bit by bit, not either accepted on Faith nor rejected because 'miracles don't happen'.