Is Christianity alone in this?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Is Christianity alone in this?

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

This is certainly not true of all Christians, but there is a subset that rejects the findings of science because they perceive that in some cases these findings conflict with a literal reading of scripture. The age of the earth is a good example. Some claim it is around 6,000 years old. Scientific calculations place it at around 4.5 billion. Evolution is another scientific finding that often gets rejected because it seemingly conflicts with the Genesis story of creation.

Are there other religions that have a subset of its followers who reject scientific findings or is Christianity alone in this?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Is Christianity alone in this?

Post #61

Post by TRANSPONDER »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:48 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:07 am As I recall, you did. Starlight, wasn't it? And i said that the light in genesis was described as daylight because we had morning and evening, dark and light and the sun and moon (apparently) made later to mark them. And thus not a 13 billion years divided into 7, which is the apologetic to fit science to Genesis.
Yup. 7 literal days to me.
denial.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:50 pm So we give Science some credit for being valid and describing with credibility the way things are and were and how they work. We do not dismiss it as being faith -based, opinion, or some kind of religion. It is a detection -method, using evidence and verification. Which Christian apologetics often attempts to do but runs up against science which then has to be dismissed if it can't be fiddled to fit the Bible.

Which is where we came in.
Hey buddy, question for ya.

What is science, to one who created and rules the universe?

:lol:
Faith claim.

I am of course wrong in my odd feeling that you are an atheist caricaturing a Creationist just to make Creationism look bad? You couldn't do a better job if you were.