Savant

Jesus NEVER saved...

Post #1

Post by Willum »

... A single woman from being raped.
... A single child from abuse.
... A single victim from murder.
... The Jews in the Holocaust.

Why should you believe he will save you, after you have died and are helpless?

Miles
Savant

Re: Jesus NEVER saved...

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Willum wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:33 pm ... A single woman from being raped.

"Because I need someone or something to save me from my abject fear of the nothingness that awaits me after I die, and as it stands Jesus is the best thing to have come around the corner. He's my flannel security blanket of hope."

POI
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by POI »

Miles wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:16 am

"Because I need someone or something to save me from my abject fear of the nothingness that awaits me after I die, and as it stands Jesus is the best thing to have come around the corner. He's my flannel security blanket of hope."

End of topic now?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

bjs1
Sage

Post #4

Post by bjs1 »

I'm not sure how much this matters, but: How do you know any these claims to be true?
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Willum
Savant

Post #5

Post by Willum »

[Replying to bjs1 in post #4]

You’re the one that doesn’t read the Bible right, but claims to be Christian?

Miracles are pretty profound, right? But to answer your question, we can use statistics, and see if there are any unusual miracles going on.

No, I’m wondering if it is possible to get a Christian to answer a question… That is without changing and avoiding the subject.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

bjs1
Sage

Post #6

Post by bjs1 »

Willum wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:13 pm [Replying to bjs1 in post #4]

You’re the one that doesn’t read the Bible right, but claims to be Christian?

Miracles are pretty profound, right? But to answer your question, we can use statistics, and see if there are any unusual miracles going on.

No, I’m wondering if it is possible to get a Christian to answer a question… That is without changing and avoiding the subject.
Neither you nor I said anything about a "profound" action. You made claims about what Christ has done. I am asking how you know that those claims are true. I will ask again. How do you know your claims are true? How do you know what Jesus has or has not done?
-Charles Darwin

Willum
Savant

Post #7

Post by Willum »

[Replying to bjs1 in post #6]
Neither you nor I said anything about a "profound" action. You made claims about what Christ has done. I am asking how you know that those claims are true. I will ask again. How do you know your claims are true? How do you know what Jesus has or has not done?
Oh, we just know you will, and I am probably not the only one who feels sorry and sympathetic for you.

However, every debate starts with assumptions. If you don't like them, you must show why they are poor, or, accept them and discuss the points.

You seem to not like the assumptions, but are unable to do anything about them.

Move along.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

bjs1
Sage

Post #8

Post by bjs1 »

Willum wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:30 pm [Replying to bjs1 in post #6]
Oh, we just know you will, and I am probably not the only one who feels sorry and sympathetic for you.

However, every debate starts with assumptions. If you don't like them, you must show why they are poor, or, accept them and discuss the points.

You seem to not like the assumptions, but are unable to do anything about them.

Move along.
I appreciate your willingness to admit that these are only assumptions. The claims from the first post are just things that you have made up and there is no reason to think that they are true.

I have nothing to add to the discussion beyond this, so I wish you well as you “move along.”
-Charles Darwin

Willum
Savant

Post #9

Post by Willum »

[Replying to bjs1 in post #8]

I appreciate your willingness to admit you don't understand how a debate works.
I also appreciate that you admitted you never had any intention to constructively debate.
I will interpret this as your inability to counter either the assumptions, necessary to the debate (OMG! he can't even challenge the assumptions) or the conclusion.

I really appreciate your moving on.

bjs1
Sage

Post #10

Post by bjs1 »

Willum wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:57 pm [Replying to bjs1 in post #8]

I appreciate your willingness to admit you don't understand how a debate works.
I also appreciate that you admitted you never had any intention to constructively debate.
I will interpret this as your inability to counter either the assumptions, necessary to the debate (OMG! he can't even challenge the assumptions) or the conclusion.

I really appreciate your moving on.
To be clear, I did challenge the assumptions. They were not defended. Since the conclusions rests on undefended assumptions, the conclusions is false. That is how debate works.
-Charles Darwin