Christians if...

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Christians if...

Post #1

Post by Willum »

If you don't know the Bible as well as those who don't believe it...
If you can't distinguish your Bible from fiction...
If you make up things about your religion and God so it can survive logic...

You may not prove Christianity is false, but you do prove your version of it is.

Which leads to the question...

Is there anyone who does not modify the writing of the Bible to suit their own personal beliefs about religion?
Topic for debate, that there is no one who does not modify the writings of the Bible, and their God to suit their own beliefs, and hence, invents their own, false religion.
Last edited by Willum on Fri May 27, 2022 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjs1
Sage

Re: Christians if...

Post #2

Post by bjs1 »

[Replying to Willum in post #1]

These are some pretty big “ifs.” For instance, none of these three statements accurately describe any of the self-described Christians who currently post regularly on this site. I disagree with some of them on significant issues, but only someone divorced from reality would claim that any of the Christians on this site don’t know the Bible better than unbelievers, can’t tell fact from fiction, or that they make things up about God.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Willum
Savant

Post #3

Post by Willum »

[Replying to bjs1 in post #2]

Wow!
I have considered your points, and due to succinct and powerful logic, they have completely changed my views.
When you noticed the ifs...
When you created the strawman about fact and fiction...
That was enlightening...

Now you tell one.

Remember this is a debate, supported, not an opin-nate.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Willum wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:41 pm
Is there anyone who does not modify the writing of the Bible to suit their own personal beliefs about religion?
Considering the patchwork mess of conflicting statements, contradictions, inconsistencies, and outright inventions and fables that make up the Bible, modify its writings (cherry picking) to suit one's beliefs is inescapable. Why else would there be an estimated 45,000 Christian denominations throughout the world.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #5

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I am aware of a lot of differing views of The Bible )persons and events_ and jesus in particular. Aside from different theological and sectrarian views, skeptics come up with a lot of Real Jesus theories. Of course this is much facilitated by the 'witness error' apologetic which allows this or that peddler of a pet theory to present Jesus as anything to a God with a human facemask on (as in John) to a reforming Jewish Rabbi following in the footsteps of John. The way this is accomplished is start with the Story, fit anything in the Gospels that looks like it (Interpreted if necessary) and ignore anything that doesn't.

Yes, friends, I find the Real Jesus artists as flawed in method than the Ghost Bible fraternity.

I try to avoid this by considering all possible explanations for problems. Circumstantial evidence is no more than that. That Arimathea went to Pilate to ask for Jesus' body and he put him in the tomb after the crucifixion, does not prove that the one who offered the 'spunge' of wine was Arimathea. It could have been a soldier (Luke only mentions the soldiers offering 'vinegar'). Though it sounds like someone who wasn't a soldier. And then we must consider whether it is an invented story, fulfilling a prophecy (Psalms) or whether being common to the Synoptics as well as John gives it credibility.

Well, just with that we can see how easy it is to think away in different directions.