Divine Healing

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Compassionist
Guru

Divine Healing

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

I saw this video and am most impressed by this apparent divine healing. If this girl was healed by God, why doesn't God heal all Christians? I know many Christians who are ill and who have even died from various illnesses.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Divine Healing

Post #61

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Compassionist wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:56 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:11 am
Compassionist wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:55 am . No omniscient and omnipotent being can be harmed by anyone so no living thing would ever get harmed by anything living or non-living. They would all be forever happy in their infinite number of universes.
Since when does power and knowledge lead to happiness? A pantheon of powerful beings isn't happiness, its a Greek tragedy waiting to happen. Without love all power is dangerous. A little less Homer and more scripture might be in order.

JW
I disagree. If all living things were omniscient and omnipotent no one would ever be harmed by anyone. The reason living things suffer and die is that they can't protect themselves from injury, illness, ageing and death. Omniscient and omnipotent beings can't be harmed by anyone and anything. If you are omniscient and omnipotent natural disasters, predators and diseases can't harm you.

The evil do not fight to harm; they fight to fight. The universe you are proposing is not only ludicrous with immortal bees and everlasting fruitflies, its a hellish suspension between perpetual war and an indefinite Mexican standoff. It would be laughable if an attempt to discuss eternal life while doggedly avoiding even the mention of the word LOVE wasnt so very tragic . Okay, enough of this!

Thanks for sharing, have a nice day,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #62

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:16 pm
Compassionist wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:55 am . No omniscient and omnipotent being can be harmed by anyone so no living thing would ever get harmed by anything living or non-living. They would all be forever happy in their infinite number of universes.
Since when does power and knowledge lead to happiness? A pantheon of powerful beings isn't happiness, its a Greek tragedy waiting to happen. Without love all power is dangerous. A little less Homer and more scripture might be in order.

JW
I disagree. If all living things were omniscient and omnipotent no one would ever be harmed by anyone. The reason living things suffer and die is that they can't protect themselves from injury, illness, ageing and death. Omniscient and omnipotent beings can't be harmed by anyone and anything. If you are omniscient and omnipotent natural disasters, predators and diseases can't harm you.

The evil do not fight to harm; they fight to fight. The universe you are proposing is not only ludicrous with immortal bees and everlasting fruitflies, its a hellish suspension between perpetual war and an indefinite Mexican standoff. It would be laughable if an attempt to discuss eternal life while doggedly avoiding even the mention of the word LOVE wasnt so very tragic . Okay, enough of this!

JW
If I am on the same page, I agree. Death has to be part of life, in Genesis -creation as much as science -evolution, quite apart from the design of beings apparently implying death as a part of existence. The only question is whether God dished out death to Adam for disobedience, and it would explain that Adam knew what death was as he'd seen animals keel over and kick their hind legs. Or they all had finite lives anyway, and Bible apologists have to make 'Death' mean something else.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #63

Post by Compassionist »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:16 pm

JW

JW
When one makes a mosquito or a bee or a human or a whale omniscient and omnipotent, they no longer look, think, feel and behave the way they used to before the transformation You seem to think that the behaviours of the organisms won't change even if they are omniscient and omnipotent - you are wrong. They will inevitably change. In any case, this entire scenario is hypothetical. My omnibenevolence is not sufficient to prevent all suffering, injustice, and deaths and to make all living things forever happy. Even your Biblical God's so-called love failed to prevent all suffering, injustice, and deaths and failed to make all living things forever happy. Only omnibenevolence, omniscience, and omnipotence can prevent all suffering, injustice, and deaths and make all living things forever happy. Sadly, there do not seem to be any omnibenevolent, omniscient, and omnipotent beings in existence. You are most welcome. Thank you for your kind wish but how can I have a nice day in a reality full of suffering, injustice, and deaths? I most sincerely apologise that I am not omniscient and omnipotent. Please accept my most sincere apology for failing to prevent all suffering, injustice, and deaths and for failing to make all living things forever happy.
Last edited by Compassionist on Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #64

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to Compassionist in post #63
Please accept my most sincere apology for failing to prevent all suffering, injustice, and deaths and for failing to make all living things forever happy.
Don't be silly. It isn't your fault than you can't end all unhappiness. You're no closer to being omnipotent than are any of the rest of us, so you have no personal failure here for which to apologize. Stop putting yourself through all that.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #65

Post by oldbadger »

Compassionist wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:17 am
....................... We live in a world full of suffering, injustice, and deaths. The evil often prospers. The innocent often perishes. The rules of this reality are: 1. Might is right. 2. Adapt or die.
Mother Nature is the governor around this universe, I think, and your Might is right/Adapt or die rule is real, as you say.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #66

Post by Compassionist »

Athetotheist wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:08 pm [Replying to Compassionist in post #63
Please accept my most sincere apology for failing to prevent all suffering, injustice, and deaths and for failing to make all living things forever happy.
Don't be silly. It isn't your fault than you can't end all unhappiness. You're no closer to being omnipotent than are any of the rest of us, so you have no personal failure here for which to apologize. Stop putting yourself through all that.
I agree that it is not my fault, but I am still so sad about all the suffering, injustice, and deaths in this universe. Thank you.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #67

Post by Compassionist »

oldbadger wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:51 am
Compassionist wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:17 am
....................... We live in a world full of suffering, injustice, and deaths. The evil often prospers. The innocent often perishes. The rules of this reality are: 1. Might is right. 2. Adapt or die.
Mother Nature is the governor around this universe, I think, and your Might is right/Adapt or die rule is real, as you say.
The problem with mother nature is that she does not care about living things. That's why 99.9% of all the species to evolve so far on Earth are already extinct and the remaining 0.1% are at risk of extinction. That's why there is so much suffering, injustice, and deaths. That's why life is so rare in the universe. If it were up to me, every living thing would be forever happy, but it is not up to me.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #68

Post by oldbadger »

Compassionist wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:54 pm
The problem with mother nature is that she does not care about living things. That's why 99.9% of all the species to evolve so far on Earth are already extinct and the remaining 0.1% are at risk of extinction. That's why there is so much suffering, injustice, and deaths. That's why life is so rare in the universe. If it were up to me, every living thing would be forever happy, but it is not up to me.
True, Mother Nature is every experience in life, imo. Whether a dreadful tragedy or a wonderful gift it's Mother Nature who gives and takes.

But there is no 'injustice' about Mother Nature. When a whole star system dies, it just does; there is no law broken. We don't know if life is rare in the Universe, we're still searching for it upon Mars so it'll be a while before we can check out what's happening out there.

You mentioned that you would like every living thing to be happy, I know people who have a lovely home, all the mammon that they need, all the status, lots of freedom, and they are miserable moaning unsatisfied people, forever complaining about their lot.

I accepted Mother Nature as the boss around here some time ago and I know that she can bring joy and horror both. So I'm enjoying this very moment of comfort and wellbeing and I recognise how lucky I have been up until now.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #69

Post by Compassionist »

oldbadger wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:45 am
Compassionist wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:54 pm
True, Mother Nature is every experience in life, imo. Whether a dreadful tragedy or a wonderful gift it's Mother Nature who gives and takes.

But there is no 'injustice' about Mother Nature. When a whole star system dies, it just does; there is no law broken. We don't know if life is rare in the Universe, we're still searching for it upon Mars so it'll be a while before we can check out what's happening out there.

You mentioned that you would like every living thing to be happy, I know people who have a lovely home, all the mammon that they need, all the status, lots of freedom, and they are miserable moaning unsatisfied people, forever complaining about their lot.

I accepted Mother Nature as the boss around here some time ago and I know that she can bring joy and horror both. So I'm enjoying this very moment of comfort and wellbeing and I recognise how lucky I have been up until now.
Anyone who is not omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnnipotent is inadequate and anyone who does not own an infinite number of universes is poor. Mother Nature is not a conscious entity. It's our personification of reality which is not a person at all. We have been searching for life on other planets and moons and asteroids for a long time but have not found any. Why aren't there living things everywhere, including the vastness of empty space? Why do living things have to consume air, water and food to live? If I made living things, the would all exist without consuming anything and they would all be omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnipotent and own an infinite number of universes each.

It's horrific that living things consume other living things. Humans kill and consume billions of sentient organisms every year. Please see https://thevegancalculator.com/animal-slaughter I wish I could prevent all the suffering, injustice, and deaths but I can't.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #70

Post by oldbadger »

Compassionist wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:46 am
Anyone who is not omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnnipotent is inadequate and anyone who does not own an infinite number of universes is poor. Mother Nature is not a conscious entity. It's our personification of reality which is not a person at all.
Indeed. True. Mother Nature is quite unaware of and/or disinterested in us. But many cultures have treated Nature as the Giver and Taker of all, which could be the reason why names are given, and gender also since she brings forth everything in its time.
We have been searching for life on other planets and moons and asteroids for a long time but have not found any. Why aren't there living things everywhere, including the vastness of empty space? Why do living things have to consume air, water and food to live? If I made living things, the would all exist without consuming anything and they would all be omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnipotent and own an infinite number of universes each.
Well, we've only been around for a comparatively short time.
An infinite number of universes.......... that's an awful lot of mammon! :)
It's horrific that living things consume other living things. Humans kill and consume billions of sentient organisms every year. Please see https://thevegancalculator.com/animal-slaughter I wish I could prevent all the suffering, injustice, and deaths but I can't.
If you ruled this world would you legislate to make it law that nobody is allowed to kill anything else?