Divine Healing

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Compassionist
Guru

Divine Healing

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

I saw this video and am most impressed by this apparent divine healing. If this girl was healed by God, why doesn't God heal all Christians? I know many Christians who are ill and who have even died from various illnesses.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Divine Healing

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Compassionist wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:57 pm ...why doesn't God heal all Christians? I know many Christians who are ill and who have even died from various illnesses.
Biblically, because God is looking for people of faith, not those that serve him from self interest. For more on this topic please see the post : Why does God not grant all requests to be cured from sickness, handicap and disease?
viewtopic.php?p=1048012#p1048012

JW

To learn more please go to other posts related to

SICKNESS , DEATH, and ...THE MIRACLES OF JESUS CHRIST
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #3

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:40 pm
Compassionist wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:57 pm ...why doesn't God heal all Christians? I know many Christians who are ill and who have even died from various illnesses.
Biblically, because God is looking for people of faith, not those that serve him from self interest. For more on this topic please see the post : Why does God not grant all requests to be cured from sickness, handicap and disease?
viewtopic.php?p=1048012#p1048012

JW

SICKNESS , DEATH, and ...THE MIRACLES OF JESUS CHRIST
Post by JehovahsWitness » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:52 pm

POI wrote: ↑Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:40 pm
... it seems to me quite odd that God is claimed to answer prayer, time and time again, but always skips over amputees, cerebral palsy, and downs syndrome.?.?.?.?[/color]

Scripturally Jesus demonstrated God's willingness and desire to heal all sorts of infirmities including restore limbs, heal brain diseases and even raise the dead. The bible indicates however that our modern era is not Gods time for such spectacular miracles so godly prayers would reflect a willingness to accept this.

So the only excuse for God not doing miracle healings for more than a tiny fraction is really no more than 'God has his reasons'. Again and as usual: that might be good enough for you, to perpetuate denial, but it just makes your case look worse to anyone with their minds still a bit open.

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Biblically, because God is looking for people of faith, not those that serve him from self interest.
Curious about this faith you mention, I went to Wikipedia to see how the term "faith" is commonly regarded. I found four "definitions":

1. "Within Christianity, faith, in one sense, is often discussed in terms of:
believing God's promises, trusting in his faithfulness, and relying on God's character and faithfulness to act."

2. "According to most Christian traditions and denominations,
Christian faith requires a belief in the resurrection of Jesus, and the Agony in the Garden which Jesus states is the plan of God the Father."

3. "The precise understanding of the term "faith" differs among the various Christian traditions. Despite these differences,
Christians generally agree that faith in Jesus lies at the core of the Christian tradition, and that such faith is required in order to be a Christian."

4. "Some of the definitions of faith in the history of Christian theology have followed the biblical formulation in Hebrews 11:1:
'the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen'."

Perhaps it's needless to say, but there's quite a bit of difference among the four. Do any of them fit your definition of faith? If not, how do you define the word?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Miles wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:33 pm
Biblically, because God is looking for people of faith, not those that serve him from self interest.
Curious about this faith you mention, I went to Wikipedia to see how the term "faith" is commonly regarded. I found four "definitions":

1. "Within Christianity, faith, in one sense, is often discussed in terms of:
believing God's promises, trusting in his faithfulness, and relying on God's character and faithfulness to act."

2. "According to most Christian traditions and denominations,
Christian faith requires a belief in the resurrection of Jesus, and the Agony in the Garden which Jesus states is the plan of God the Father."

3. "The precise understanding of the term "faith" differs among the various Christian traditions. Despite these differences,
Christians generally agree that faith in Jesus lies at the core of the Christian tradition, and that such faith is required in order to be a Christian."

4. "Some of the definitions of faith in the history of Christian theology have followed the biblical formulation in Hebrews 11:1:
'the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen'."

Perhaps it's needless to say, but there's quite a bit of difference among the four. Do any of them fit your definition of faith? If not, how do you define the word?

All of them accurately present aspects of faith; #4 being the biblical conclusion. But as I said all are good explanations.

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Anna64

Post #6

Post by Anna64 »

This is something I've never understood. Based on what can I believe if I deserve to be treated as I would expect by God if I got this sick for example? Many times it seems that people who are living devils are still doing fine and God doesn't do much, if anything. This makes me truly sad, especially during these hard times.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Anna64 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:52 am This is something I've never understood. Based on what can I believe if I deserve to be treated as I would expect by God if I got this sick for example? Many times it seems that people who are living devils are still doing fine and God doesn't do much, if anything. This makes me truly sad, especially during these hard times.
Hello Anna, welcome.

The answer from The bible is that God is allowing suffering for the time being and does not intervene for anyone , not even the faithful, to protect them miraculously from physical effects of living in this system. Those that claim miraculous healing are all mistaken, dillusionary or lying.

There is a hope but that is that soon God will destroy this system and heal all the afflicted under his incoming government.

JW

Should Christians expect to be miraculously protected from sickness, diseased or premature death?
viewtopic.php?p=1010134#p1010134

Is THE PALE horse of Revelation riding today?
viewtopic.php?p=1080132#p1080132

Are all prayers guaranteed a positive response?
viewtopic.php?p=1024122#p1024122

Mat 18:22 (John 14:13) Did Jesus break his promise to grant his followers ANYTHING they ask for?
viewtopic.php?p=1015982#p1015982

Mat 21:22 Does God promise to grant absolutely all requests?
viewtopic.php?p=808498#p808498

Why are there no such spectacular miracles such as described in the bible today?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 39#p958339

PRAYER, SICKNESS and ...THE MIRACLES OF JESUS CHRIST
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #8

Post by Compassionist »

Anna64 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:52 am This is something I've never understood. Based on what can I believe if I deserve to be treated as I would expect by God if I got this sick for example? Many times it seems that people who are living devils are still doing fine and God doesn't do much, if anything. This makes me truly sad, especially during these hard times.
I can relate to how you feel. We live in a world full of suffering, injustice, and deaths. The evil often prospers. The innocent often perishes. The rules of this reality are: 1. Might is right. 2. Adapt or die.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #9

Post by Compassionist »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #7]

Christians have been predicting the return of Jesus for many years but he has not returned. When is he coming back?

Compassionist
Guru

Post #10

Post by Compassionist »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #2]

I find the Bible to be very unreliable and horrific and unjust. I consider the Biblical God to be either evil and imaginary or evil and real. I can't quite decide which. Please see https://www.evilbible.com and http://skepticsannotatedbible.com