Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

The foundations of Christianity

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Christianity is supposedly based on Judaism.*
Judaism is claimed to be an unbroken perfectly preserved oral tradition handed down miraculously unbroken, from at least Noah.

Let's examine this claim.
There are three contradictory sects of this perfectly preserved oral tradition, often in complete disagreement with each other.

...........................Free Will?............Afterlife?.................Oral Law?..............................Other deities?.........Interpretation of scripture

1. Sadducee:.........Yes.......................No..........When it agrees with the law....................No.................................Literal

2. Pharisee............Yes**................Resurrection..............Yes..........................................Yes....................Theocratic Authority

3. Essene...............No....................Spiritual.................Inspired.......................................No...............................Inspired

So many questions arise from this.

Obviously, if this is a pure unbroken source, how can there be such huge contradictions?

If the tenets of Christianity are contradictory, and indeed have identical contradictions, despite claimed to have come from an authentic perfect source, is there any assurance these aren't simply myth?

If these people couldn't agree on these foundational issues, despite an perfect source, how can you even have an opinion?

If there was ONLY an oral tradition, what are the Dead Sea Scrolls? and why do they contradict?

Topic for debate: How can a rational person believe these religions are not simply myth with this information?

* = The age of Christian vs Judaic literature is not an issue for the topic.

Savant

Re: The foundations of Christianity

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

Willum wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:17 am ...
Obviously, if this is a pure unbroken source, how can there be such huge contradictions?
If they have same source or original message, but they come up to a different conclusion, it is probably because they want something else than the original message. I think it does not mean that the original message is not good, it is just not something the interpreters like.
Willum wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:17 amIf these people couldn't agree on these foundational issues, despite an perfect source, how can you even have an opinion?
Easily.
Willum wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:17 amIf there was ONLY an oral tradition, what are the Dead Sea Scrolls? and why do they contradict?
Aren't the Dead Sea Scrolls also based on oral tradition first?
Willum wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:17 amTopic for debate: How can a rational person believe these religions are not simply myth with this information?
religions are real, not myth. What religions teach may be myth. I believe Bible message is no a myth, for example because atheists have so much difficulties to understand it.

Willum
Savant

Post #3

Post by Willum »

Replying to 1213 in post #2]
I believe Bible message is no a myth, for example because atheists have so much difficulties to understand it.
You have shown what you believe is not in line with anyone else's interpretation of the Bible, and since it is only what you, personally believe, it is not fit for discussion in this forum - because to criticize it is to insult you personally.

Come back when you have more than single word answers, "if"s and "I believes."
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #4

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I looked at this thread and considered responding but it could get a bit personal. I just recalled a saying or meme on my previous Board...It may not have been an Axiom.

"Christianity is indeed based on a Rock".

Rock. definition - a sweet, pink, sticky confection with twisty words all the way through."