Death: (Does living without God have a comforting ending.)

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

wannabe
Apprentice

Death: (Does living without God have a comforting ending.)

Post #1

Post by wannabe »

Does living without God have a comforting ending.
Or can it ?
What does it do to give comforting words, that of which can't be held on to for any reason.
:
:

Live to give , Give to live ( love Jesus )

: I believe a mans spirit is more than just his imagination.

I believe in forever. That's true even without religion.(or man)

: Live to give, give to life, Forgive to live.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Death: (Does living without God have a comforting ending.)

Post #11

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I find it very curious that all these people are supposedly convinced that they are going to be ok in heaven. And yet I have heard apologetics that nothing is guaranteed, and the wrong religion, wrong denomination..heck even misunderstanding scripture..can bar one from heaven. I have also read in deconversion stories that many Christians were terrified that they weren't being good enough and they might end up in Hell. I sometimes wonder whether they have a misplaced confidence in their having a confirmed booking in Heavenly Hotel, or whether they have to say they are confident because otherwise Big Brother will get him.

William
Savant

Post #12

Post by William »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #11]

It is conceptionally possible for someone who has had an active and purposeful aversion to any hint of "Living With GOD" - upon dying and finding out they continued consciously experiencing a reality, that they would excel in their new-found subjective knowledge and adapt more quickly than those who simply find no comfort in their beliefs which conjure up whatever experience they might fear the most.

If 'comfort re death' is gained through fearlessly facing whatever one may face upon actual death, then either belief can achieve this, as far as I can tell. Neither way appears any better equipped to do the job, than the other.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Goat »

William wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:21 pm [Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #11]

It is conceptionally possible for someone who has had an active and purposeful aversion to any hint of "Living With GOD" - upon dying and finding out they continued consciously experiencing a reality, that they would excel in their new-found subjective knowledge and adapt more quickly than those who simply find no comfort in their beliefs which conjure up whatever experience they might fear the most.

If 'comfort re death' is gained through fearlessly facing whatever one may face upon actual death, then either belief can achieve this, as far as I can tell. Neither way appears any better equipped to do the job, than the other.
Reminds me of what Woody Allen said about death. 'I am not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens'
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

oldbadger
Guru

Post #14

Post by oldbadger »

wannabe wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:36 am Does living without God have a comforting ending.
Or can it ?
What does it do to give comforting words, that of which can't be held on to for any reason.
As a Deist I cannot answer for 'comforting words', but since every particle of matter and energy within me is a tiny part of the whole, of the Deity, then none of it can be destroyed.
I was dead for countless trillions of years and it was ok, so when it's time for me to be dead again then it will be ok.
And at this minute I live, so I will treasure this minute and get a whole minute-of-life value from it. :)

Willum
Savant

Post #15

Post by Willum »

Those few of us who read the Bible, and observe and draw conclusions from Yahweh's actions, not just how observably evil people describe it, conclude that Yahweh is a monster.
If, in the hideous reality where Yahweh were real, would living in a "Heaven" with it be comforting?
Is pleasing a malevolent creature like that worth going to Heaven with?
Would it be a paradise, or would it be a paradise to it?! perhaps a Hell to us?

Every theists admits that don't really know.

Leaving us with the wisdom of Marcus Aurelius

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #16

Post by TRANSPONDER »

It appears that, at one time, heaven was envisaged as a sort of King's court where people grovelled constantly before the Lord, flattering him and shouting his praises. This no doubt didn't sound much of a carrot, so they had to make the stick a bit bigger, with resultant pulpit -thumping and dwelling on hellthreat. That also isn't so good, so once again an informal committee of Churchmen decided that heaven had to be redesigned so it was more a spiritual drifting about in pure bliss.

That doesn't sound like much to like either as you mind is effectively gone. Oblivion would be just as good and in the Atheist model, you get it for free, without tithes, terror of not getting right with God (1) and trying to prop up rubbish apologetics. Oh, and total freedom from fear of hell. From all I've heard, that's a big plus.

(1)

wannabe
Apprentice

Post #17

Post by wannabe »

by TRANSPONDER » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:05 pm

It appears that, at one time, heaven was envisaged as a sort of King's court where people grovelled constantly before the Lord, flattering him and shouting his praises. This no doubt didn't
sound much of a carrot, so they had to make the stick a bit bigger, with resultant pulpit -thumping and dwelling on hellthreat. That also isn't so good, so once again an informal committee of
Churchmen decided that heaven had to be redesigned so it was more a spiritual drifting about in pure bliss.
-
Nice progression
Good to see it heading in the right direction. (much more comforting now)
-

That doesn't sound like much to like either as you mind is effectively gone. Oblivion would be just as good and in the Atheist model, you get it for free, without tithes, terror of not getting
right with God (1) and trying to prop up rubbish apologetics. Oh, and total freedom from fear of hell. From all I've heard, that's a big plus.
-
If Christians believe in Jesus , why would they fear hell.
Jesus is a saviour not a condemner.
That's right - He saves Christians, not those that don't recognize him.

Also there is no problem of being terrified of 'getting it right with God'.
Jesus tells us how to get it right with God. (some of us are slower learners.)

So I ask you also for some evidence to support all of your above claims and assumptions.
:
:

Live to give , Give to live ( love Jesus )

: I believe a mans spirit is more than just his imagination.

I believe in forever. That's true even without religion.(or man)

: Live to give, give to life, Forgive to live.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #18

Post by TRANSPONDER »

wannabe wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:05 pm by TRANSPONDER » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:05 pm

It appears that, at one time, heaven was envisaged as a sort of King's court where people grovelled constantly before the Lord, flattering him and shouting his praises. This no doubt didn't
sound much of a carrot, so they had to make the stick a bit bigger, with resultant pulpit -thumping and dwelling on hellthreat. That also isn't so good, so once again an informal committee of
Churchmen decided that heaven had to be redesigned so it was more a spiritual drifting about in pure bliss.
-
Nice progression
Good to see it heading in the right direction. (much more comforting now)
-

That doesn't sound like much to like either as you mind is effectively gone. Oblivion would be just as good and in the Atheist model, you get it for free, without tithes, terror of not getting
right with God (1) and trying to prop up rubbish apologetics. Oh, and total freedom from fear of hell. From all I've heard, that's a big plus.
-
If Christians believe in Jesus , why would they fear hell.
Jesus is a saviour not a condemner.
That's right - He saves Christians, not those that don't recognize him.

Also there is no problem of being terrified of 'getting it right with God'.
Jesus tells us how to get it right with God. (some of us are slower learners.)

So I ask you also for some evidence to support all of your above claims and assumptions.
So, ok, you presumably don't consider denomination relevant - so long as one believes in Jesus, you don't need to worry about Hell. That's just your belief - some reckon that the right denomination is vital. But you don't even know that you have the right religion. Self - confidence and Faith is no guarantee that you are right.