Death: (Does living without God have a comforting ending.)

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

wannabe
Apprentice

Death: (Does living without God have a comforting ending.)

Post #1

Post by wannabe »

Does living without God have a comforting ending.
Or can it ?
What does it do to give comforting words, that of which can't be held on to for any reason.
:
:

Live to give , Give to live ( love Jesus )

: I believe a mans spirit is more than just his imagination.

I believe in forever. That's true even without religion.(or man)

: Live to give, give to life, Forgive to live.

Miles
Savant

Re: Death: (Does living without God have a comforting ending.)

Post #2

Post by Miles »

wannabe wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:36 am Death: (Does living without God have a comforting ending.)
As much as living without having eaten lutefisk would be my guess.

Lutefisk
The fish you can eat with a spoon

"With a distinctive odor and gelatinous texture, lutefisk is definitely an acquired taste. Lutefisk's smell is so strong it has a lot of detractors.

Lutefisk's gelatinous texture is a result of the fish breaking down during the preparation process. First, the fish are cleaned and then hung to dry, which takes approximately nine to 10 days. When fully dried, the cod will be tough and leathery. The process of rehydrating the fish takes over a week. For five to six days it's soaked in cold water, with the water being changed every day. Next, it's soaked in a combination of lye and water for another week, and then soaked in cool water, changed daily, again for another few days. This soaking and rinsing breaks down the protein in the fish, giving lutefisk its notorious jelly-like consistency.

If lutefisk is cooked correctly, it can be flaky and tasty. But in the wrong hands, it turns to mush, with some people saying it resembles "snot" or a fishy Jell-O."

Perhaps the greatest offense of the lutefisk isn't necessarily its texture, but the smell associated with it. Most people describe it as a very pungent, fishy smell that can't be easily forgotten. Simply put, lutefisk smells strongly of fish, with notes of sourness and ammonia. The smell does tend to recede after the lutefisk has been cooked, though some don't make it that far. Poke around the internet and you'll find plenty of jokes referring to it.

'What's this fly doing in my lutefisk?'
'Gagging,' said the waiter."

source

wannabe
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by wannabe »

I guess that's one up for Jesus and any other good god (real or not).
:
:

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #4

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Oh yes indeed. If one dismisses any particular religion (while leaving a god of some sort open) then hellthreat is gone and that is very comforting, wouldn't you say? Now we may get the kind of theists that protests that they don' t believe in Hell. So we are left with the instinctive dislike of death. But I have never seen any indication that theists are any more better adjusted to death than non -believers. Even though they play the 'no atheists in foxholes' card, which doesn't actually seem to be true, but is a delusion they have. I saw on Qora (1) yet another question to atheists about whether they'd convert on their deathbeds. No. No more than a Christian would convert to Islam in their deathbeds, just in case Allah was the real god.

(1) I answered one question and since then everything from 'Should I Botox' to 'do tomatoes cause cancer' pops up in my in tray.

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

wannabe wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:56 am I guess that's one up for Jesus and any other good god (real or not).
If comfort is your goal Jesus isn't a very good source. He reportedly used these words to explain the meaning of the Wheat and the Tares parable:
Matthew 13:41 The Son of Man will send out His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who practice lawlessness, 42 and will cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
This doesn't sound like a very comfortable death. Of course, there is no reason to conclude any of this will actually take place so there is comfort in that realization.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #6

Post by Wootah »

wannabe wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:36 am Does living without God have a comforting ending.
Or can it ?
What does it do to give comforting words, that of which can't be held on to for any reason.
Christianity is definitely about the promise of peace with God and rest in a new creation. But I would argue that the benefits are more for the here and now.

I made a thread on the psychological essentiality of believing God is good and here I would say that psychologically when you book a holiday your experience now is improved by knowing a rest is coming. Heaven is the same thing. Yes, I look forward to it, but knowing it is there waiting for me and one day I will see God face to face encourages and changes the way I live now.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Goat »

wannabe wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:36 am Does living without God have a comforting ending.
Or can it ?
Well, when looking at the stories about Heaven and hell, if you don't accept the concept of God, then you don't accept the concept of either heaven or hell.

Not going to hell is very comforting, isn't it?

THere is non-existence, but I have had billions of years of not existing before I existed. I been there before, I just didn't know it at the time.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

If I believed that once my brian died, then that would be the end of me, i think I might have some comfort in the belief.
However, since it would be belief based, there would most likely be some lurking doubt although I might not be consciously aware of it, or perhaps would be, but push it away from my awareness so that such thoughts would not interfer with my comfort space.

brunumb
Savant

Post #9

Post by brunumb »

Goat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:04 am Not going to hell is very comforting, isn't it?
A dying Christian might be anxiously wondering if they have met all the criteria for entering heaven and avoiding hell. Could be a serious source of discomfort since there is little time left to make any necessary adjustments.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

wannabe
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by wannabe »

I take death very seriously and I take great comfort in knowing that a place is prepared for me in heaven.
Also I'm comforted to know that I wont be alone.
Besides death it is also comforting to know that God is real.
So what can compare to the comforts, God provides concerning death.

Christianity remains to have an easy way out (which is a good thing).
:
: