If you were Satan....

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Athetotheist
Prodigy

If you were Satan....

Post #1

Post by Athetotheist »

I remember a TV preacher once asking his broadcast audience, "If you were Satan....." I don't remember the rest of the question, but I seem to remember that he was talking about prophecy and arguing that Satan was up to some diabolical mischief ("If you were Satan, isn't that what you would do?").

A lot of detail in Christian scripture about what is to happen before Jesus returns is tied to the activity of "Satan". The appearance of the "antichrist", in particular, is supposed to be part of Satan's last gambit before he goes down to utter defeat.

Since it was asked of me how I would react if I were Satan, I think it's fair for me to answer. I know that "Satan" is supposed to be a being of superhuman intelligence, but I can't help thinking that if such a being actually existed and if I were that being, I could do a lot better.

If I were "Satan", I would scrap the antichrist plan. If it's all laid out in the Bible, then everyone knows what to expect and you've lost the element of surprise. With that one simple deviation from the prophetic scenario, the whole thing would be gummed up. No antichrist, no mark of the beast, no abomination of desolation, no anything I was supposed to do as Satan to set the stage for the return of Jesus. And without those prophetic components in place, Jesus couldn't return to fulfill prophecy. And how could anyone stop me? I wouldn't be taking some action which could be prevented; I would be defeating prophecy by not taking action.

So let me pass the preacher's question on to you. If you were "Satan", what would you do----or not do----to thwart prophecy?

POI
Prodigy

Re: If you were Satan....

Post #2

Post by POI »

Athetotheist wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:12 am I remember a TV preacher once asking his broadcast audience, "If you were Satan....." I don't remember the rest of the question, but I seem to remember that he was talking about prophecy and arguing that Satan was up to some diabolical mischief ("If you were Satan, isn't that what you would do?").

A lot of detail in Christian scripture about what is to happen before Jesus returns is tied to the activity of "Satan". The appearance of the "antichrist", in particular, is supposed to be part of Satan's last gambit before he goes down to utter defeat.

Since it was asked of me how I would react if I were Satan, I think it's fair for me to answer. I know that "Satan" is supposed to be a being of superhuman intelligence, but I can't help thinking that if such a being actually existed and if I were that being, I could do a lot better.

If I were "Satan", I would scrap the antichrist plan. If it's all laid out in the Bible, then everyone knows what to expect and you've lost the element of surprise. With that one simple deviation from the prophetic scenario, the whole thing would be gummed up. No antichrist, no mark of the beast, no abomination of desolation, no anything I was supposed to do as Satan to set the stage for the return of Jesus. And without those prophetic components in place, Jesus couldn't return to fulfill prophecy. And how could anyone stop me? I wouldn't be taking some action which could be prevented; I would be defeating prophecy by not taking action.

So let me pass the preacher's question on to you. If you were "Satan", what would you do----or not do----to thwart prophecy?
Well, if "Satan' exits, how do we know Satan was not Jesus in disguise? If Satan is to deceive humans, wouldn't presenting as a magical Jewish homeless teacher be a convincing way to deceive an audience, and for humans to later write a 'New Testament"? Now, Satan can just set back and watch as billions worship the wrong god, while also breaking the first couple Commandments.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to POI in post #2
Well, if "Satan' exits, how do we know Satan was not Jesus in disguise? If Satan is to deceive humans, wouldn't presenting as a magical Jewish homeless teacher be a convincing way to deceive an audience, and for humans to later write a 'New Testament"? Now, Satan can just set back and watch as billions worship the wrong god, while also breaking the first couple Commandments.
Actually, the idea I was getting at was that if a lunkhead like me can come up with a way for "Satan" to completely upend the Christian Bible's prophetic scenario, doesn't that call the existence of such a being into serious question?

POI
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by POI »

Athetotheist wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:51 pm [Replying to POI in post #2
Actually, the idea I was getting at was that if a lunkhead like me can come up with a way for "Satan" to completely upend the Christian Bible's prophetic scenario, doesn't that call the existence of such a being into serious question?
Another question... How do we know a "Satan" even exists?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Athetotheist »

POI wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:20 pm
Athetotheist wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:51 pm [Replying to POI in post #2
Another question... How do we know a "Satan" even exists?
Actually, it's the same question.

Have you noticed that I've been putting "Satan" in quotation marks?

Willum
Savant

Post #6

Post by Willum »

I’d repent.
Assuming the Bible is true and the rival entity known as “God,” is omnipotent.

If not, I’d continue to kick his butt, and let him claim victory through sobs.

Of course, if there is any validity to the Bible, then the best lie Satan ever pulled was to convince people there was an all-loving god who would defeat him AFTER they were dead.

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

Athetotheist wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:12 am ...
By what the Bible tells, in the book of Job, Satan goes against God, claims to know better than God and the proves he (Satan) is a sadistic torturer. On basis of that, I think he has delusions of grandeur, full of hubris, not self aware... ...I think he will fulfill the prophesies because of that he thinks he is better than God.

Willum
Savant

Post #8

Post by Willum »

[Replying to 1213 in post #7]

Do you even read topics before you reply?
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Purple Knight »

Athetotheist wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:12 am So let me pass the preacher's question on to you. If you were "Satan", what would you do----or not do----to thwart prophecy?
Nothing. I've put myself in these shoes before because they fit so well, and I think it's nobler to lose for a cause I believe in.

I think humanity is rubbish. I'm proving it. Go ahead and intervene and save everyone it just proves me right.

Willum
Savant

Post #10

Post by Willum »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #9]

What a remarkable and realistic perspective! You’ve open my world.