If you were Satan....

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Athetotheist
Prodigy

If you were Satan....

Post #1

Post by Athetotheist »

I remember a TV preacher once asking his broadcast audience, "If you were Satan....." I don't remember the rest of the question, but I seem to remember that he was talking about prophecy and arguing that Satan was up to some diabolical mischief ("If you were Satan, isn't that what you would do?").

A lot of detail in Christian scripture about what is to happen before Jesus returns is tied to the activity of "Satan". The appearance of the "antichrist", in particular, is supposed to be part of Satan's last gambit before he goes down to utter defeat.

Since it was asked of me how I would react if I were Satan, I think it's fair for me to answer. I know that "Satan" is supposed to be a being of superhuman intelligence, but I can't help thinking that if such a being actually existed and if I were that being, I could do a lot better.

If I were "Satan", I would scrap the antichrist plan. If it's all laid out in the Bible, then everyone knows what to expect and you've lost the element of surprise. With that one simple deviation from the prophetic scenario, the whole thing would be gummed up. No antichrist, no mark of the beast, no abomination of desolation, no anything I was supposed to do as Satan to set the stage for the return of Jesus. And without those prophetic components in place, Jesus couldn't return to fulfill prophecy. And how could anyone stop me? I wouldn't be taking some action which could be prevented; I would be defeating prophecy by not taking action.

So let me pass the preacher's question on to you. If you were "Satan", what would you do----or not do----to thwart prophecy?

Willum
Savant

Re: If you were Satan....

Post #31

Post by Willum »

[Replying to Goat in post #30]
Ah, so because you are Jewish, you magically know everything Judaism?
Preposterous claim.

I know more about Judaism than you do because I am not Jewish.
I study its pagan origins, is terminated religions - religions modern Jews now scorn, its mythology and folklore - and distinguishing the religion which is myth, from non-canon myth and folklore.
Folklore especially you are unlikely to admit even exists - if you are a typical Jew.

Good talk.

PS Does that mean if my mother was Jewish, I have the same magical, ooh, I mean magickal knowledge you do?
LOL don't answer.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #32

Post by The Nice Centurion »

Athetotheist wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:55 pm
Goat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:41 pm
1213 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:15 pm
Athetotheist wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:12 am ...
So let me pass the preacher's question on to you. If you were "Satan", what would you do----or not do----to thwart prophecy?
By what the Bible tells, in the book of Job, Satan goes against God, claims to know better than God and the proves he (Satan) is a sadistic torturer. On basis of that, I think he has delusions of grandeur, full of hubris, not self aware... ...I think he will fulfill the prophesies because of that he thinks he is better than God.
That is not true at all. If the story of Job, Ha-Satan has to ask permission to proceed with each step. He is the prosecuting attorney claiming Job is not faithful. He goes after Job test his faith. Job keeps his faith, despite horrible things happening, and is rewarded for keeping faith.
Also keep in mind that, according to the text, Jehovah is the one who first mentions Job. Satan just comes "to present himself" among the host of heaven.
An interesting point here is that this story proves that already at the time the OT was written the Jewish sect who wrote this had a serious problem with Jews leaving their faith.

That said, I also realize that this thread does its best to avoid trying to answer the OPs Question for debate!
I wonder why.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

otseng
Savant

Post #33

Post by otseng »

[Replying to Willum in post #31]

Moderator Comment

Please do not make personal comments about others or argue about how much people know.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Willum
Savant

Post #34

Post by Willum »

[Replying to otseng in post #33]

You need to consider how you enforce your own rules.
I asked a question, and did not violate any of those rules.
I also know more than most Jews do about their culture, because they have erased, ignored and scorned 90% - stuff that looks a lot like oh, other people's mythology.
Judaists think they can get a free pass from some genetic magic knowledge, which is preposterous.

He made a claim based on genetics, or culture or something, and was called on it.

Letting Goat hid behind your skirt is an abuse at best.

I know I know, this doesn't count as a warning.
But you really need to consider the value of your website, and how it is abused, and a PM to you won't accomplish that, will it?

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #35

Post by The Nice Centurion »

Willum wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:24 am [Replying to otseng in post #33]
I also know more than most Jews do about their culture, because they have erased, ignored and scorned 90% - stuff that looks a lot like oh, other people's mythology.
Judaists think they can get a free pass from some genetic magic knowledge, which is preposterous.
This could well be, because it seems to be common that many peöple are unable to describe their own people without giving them a noble plastic surgery.

American Author Pearl Buck in her world bestselling Novel "The Good Earth" describes so well the Chinese people and their lifestile that her book was admitted as chinese scoolbook to teach the people about themselves. Asked about why they do not use a novel from one of their own, their answer was: " Chinese authors describe their people as they want them to be, not as they are."

Another Example: When We Think of ancient greeks we think of tall white men. This is because of the many fair tall statues they made, supposedly in their own Image.
But according to another american history novel writer, Taylor Caldwell who researched really deep for her books, this is only how the ancient greeks w a n t e d to be. In Truhen they were rather brownish and small.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #36

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to Willum in post #31
I know more about Judaism than you do because I am not Jewish.
I study its pagan origins, is terminated religions - religions modern Jews now scorn, its mythology and folklore - and distinguishing the religion which is myth, from non-canon myth and folklore.
If you've studied so much, you should know that the good-evil dualism among the post-exile Israelites seems to have come from the Zoroastrianism of the Persians who liberated them from Babylon.

Willum
Savant

Post #37

Post by Willum »

[Replying to Athetotheist in post #36]

Don’t tell them that.
While I agree with your Zoroastrian observation, the other is a little too broad to give to one person, even culture.

Some ideas are simply too… well, interesting, if not good.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #38

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to Willum in post #37
Don’t tell them that.
They already know that. That's why they've rejected the Zoroastrian concept.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #39

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to Willum in post #34]
But you really need to consider the value of your website, and how it is abused, and a PM to you won't accomplish that, will it?
Moderator Comment

PMs are the correct method (per the Rules) for discussing moderator actions, to avoid disrupting threads. So please use that avenue for disagreements or comments on moderator actions.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics..
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

William
Savant

Post #40

Post by William »

[Replying to Willum in post #18]
The angels rebelled.
Support this statement.