Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

historia
Prodigy

Is it reasonable to believe in God?

Post #1

Post by historia »

Is it reasonable to believe in God?

Note, the question here is not whether you think it is true that God exists, but simply whether such a belief is reasonable or not.

Clownboat
Savant

Re: Is it reasonable to believe in God?

Post #301

Post by Clownboat »

Clownboat wrote:Got it! If gods are talked about in stories, they are true.
Nope.
Then please be more careful with your words.
Copy/paste: "However, as those stories also indicate, YHVH is real"
I reject your nonsensical conclusion for being nonsensical.
You base your rejection on your 'got it' so, no.
I based it on your words.
Seriously, Yahweh is real because Yahweh is indicated to be real in stories?
No.

My original point seems to stand. Without the Bible, there is no Yahweh god concept. I care not if you pretend that Yahweh is some other god. Not even worthy of debate IMO as it is an empty claim with the sole purpose of leaving a gap for Yahweh to be imagined in.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Clownboat
Savant

Post #302

Post by Clownboat »

William wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:35 am Rather, I am pointing out the natural tendency of humans to go the way of theism, and whatever names they come up with in that process, whether they know it or not - they are speaking about the same one real entity
Sounds like some pet theory of yours. Can you show that all religious people are actually speaking about the same entity? You also claim that the entity is real. How did you come about this knowledge?
The way that GOD is dressed and named varies from culture to culture but the underlying similarities can be identified and from that, one can understand that while the person might see 'other' gods in other cultures, those distinctions are superficial dressing.
Human psychology explains nicely as to why humans from all over the planet have assigned agency to what they see around them. There is no need for a there to be a real God for this to be explained.

It's like you are acknowledging that different groups of humans throughout human history have all come up with god concepts to explain the unknowns, yet reject the psychological mechanism in place of pretending that all humans got their god right and they all happen to be talking about the same god in the end (Yahweh).

Psychology explains this better then all the god being real and the gods being the same God as you suggest.

Humans do what humans do. Without the gods as far as we can tell.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

William
Savant

Post #303

Post by William »

[Replying to Clownboat in post #302]
Rather, I am pointing out the natural tendency of humans to go the way of theism, and whatever names they come up with in that process, whether they know it or not - they are speaking about the same one real entity
Sounds like some pet theory of yours.
Sounds can be distorted through... "you know who".

What I am doing is following the premise that we exist within a created thing, therefore the implication is creator/creators.
The question of GOD comes through the theist branch, and there are many theories which require alignment.
Can you show that all religious people are actually speaking about the same entity?
I cannot speak for religious people and their particular beliefs on the matter.
I can show the similarities they all have, which is what I am pointing out.
You also claim that the entity is real. How did you come about this knowledge?
I treat the entity as real re the premise. I do so in the spirit of Thought Experiment.
Human psychology explains nicely as to why humans from all over the planet have assigned agency to what they see around them. There is no need for a there to be a real God for this to be explained.
Human science re psychology merely scratches the surface, and the deepest level so far achieved through that branch of Human Science is hinted at by Jung.

These are The Archetypes and represent the voices within - those heard and those which exist to be heard if the Personality engages with their subconscious realm - a realm normally ignored due to viability issues, due to the lack of visibility of said realm within said Personality.
It's like you are acknowledging that different groups of humans throughout human history have all come up with god concepts to explain the unknowns, yet reject the psychological mechanism in place of pretending that all humans got their god right and they all happen to be talking about the same god in the end (Yahweh).
Well - my investigations re that are ongoing. I see no better example of an all-rounder that fits the bill, other than YHVH. I am open to alternate suggestions...
Psychology explains this better then all the god being real and the gods being the same God as you suggest.
As pointed out, Jung gives us enough information on this re the subconscious realm. The rest must therefore be up to us - as individual Personalities - to examine the knowledge and possibly find that connect.
Over and above our internal Archetypes, their/there is One - and the Personality can find themselves reflected in that internal mirror.

YHVH - as it works out - fits the bill re the overall idea that there are "no other archetypes apart from me"...when all is said and done...no "God over Devil/Devil over God" routines. Split Personalities are less useful to both the individual and to YHVH and to the host of aligned archetypes...
Humans do what humans do. Without the gods as far as we can tell.
Best not assume either way then, and git about doing what humans best do...

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #304

Post by JoeyKnothead »

William wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:35 am The reason I use the name YHVH is because the identifier is known by both Hebrew and Christian to be the name they use when referring to GOD, and since site this is predominantly Christian, YHVH will suffice re the identifier.

I myself am not interested in 'a particular god' re the names of gods as my argument isn't along those lines of enquiry.

Rather, I am pointing out the natural tendency of humans to go the way of theism, and whatever names they come up with in that process, whether they know it or not - they are speaking about the same one real entity - [ I am assuming the existence of said entity for the sake of the argument] - and this is something which is part of the Hebrew creed re GOD being One.

The way that GOD is dressed and named varies from culture to culture but the underlying similarities can be identified and from that, one can understand that while the person might see 'other' gods in other cultures, those distinctions are superficial dressing.

Another reason why I specifically use the God-Name "YHVH" can be read {HERE}
I'll stand behind the notion William would use the name as a readily understood identifier, even if it may cause confusion for some of us.

As evidenced here, William will happily expound when asked.

While I'd prefer the use of capital G God, that can also lead to confusion, so it's fair to ask particulars. William ain't hiding an agenda. He'll be honest as he knows how to be, if he hasta be wrong to do it (I say with respect).
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Clownboat
Savant

Post #305

Post by Clownboat »

William wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:57 am What I am doing is following the premise that we exist within a created thing, therefore the implication is creator/creators.
That's all your doing?
In that case, I reject your premise.
Be well...

William
Savant

Post #306

Post by William »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #304]
I'll stand behind the notion William would use the name as a readily understood identifier, even if it may cause confusion for some of us.
I acknowledge with appreciation your supportive generated message JK.
The {SOURCE}-link provided at the end of the post I made and you quoted, goes some way in my attempting to stem any confusion my expression might cause to others.
As evidenced here, William will happily expound when asked.
It's a kind of hobby of mine... :)
While I'd prefer the use of capital G God, that can also lead to confusion, so it's fair to ask particulars.
I go further by making it all caps [GOD] re the omni-everything type...a type which I do not see YHVH [biblically presented] as filling that role... and just writing "God" might confuse the reader into thinking one is referring to the Christians god, aka "God"...

Re that, there is some discussion still required as to asssertain that the Christian God and YHVH are the same fella.

Such might be considered semantics, but for now it seems important so as we are not "cross-dressing" our gods...[super-imposing notions of gods over one another]
William ain't hiding an agenda. He'll be honest as he knows how to be, if he hasta be wrong to do it (I say with respect).
No offense taken. I stand ready to tweak as required, any notion I express, shown to be incorrect. Meanwhile, I go with what I got and share it accordingly, with the group.

Last edited by William on Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

William
Savant

Post #307

Post by William »

Clownboat wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:58 pm
William wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:57 am What I am doing is following the premise that we exist within a created thing, therefore the implication is creator/creators.
That's all your doing?
In that case, I reject your premise.
Be well...
OPQ wrote:Is it reasonable to believe in God?

Note, the question here is not whether you think it is true that God exists, but simply whether such a belief is reasonable or not.
If you reject the premise that it is true that God exists, [therefore we exist within a creation] then you cannot answer the question in any way other than "No" so we have nothing to discuss about that, here.

Be well...