Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Should I become an atheist and why?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Should I become an atheist and why?

What are the benefits, practices, beliefs? Any good conversion stories?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: Should I become an atheist and why?

Post #81

Post by Difflugia »

historia wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:28 amalbeit one rather demeaning of women.
I accept the rebuke. I try to be better about keeping my privilege from showing.

In case anyone thinks that's intended as sarcasm or as anything other than what it says, it's not.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #82

Post by JoeyKnothead »

historia wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:59 am You seem confused. You were just telling us about the virtues of prostitution -- which, in case you hadn't noticed, exploits vulnerable women -- and how this is part of atheism. Go on.
As if religion doesn't exploit the vulnerable?

Not all prostitutes are forced into their chosen profession. Some do it because it can be a -gasp- enjoyable and profitable endeavor.

My point in all this is that where one thinks a certain belief system is "boring", they only have their opinion to go by.

Theism can be fun I guess, when the suppression of people's rights is found so thrilling an endeavor.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Diogenes
Guru

Post #83

Post by Diogenes »

I missed the part about hookers being part of atheism. I've been missing out. Maybe I'm not cute like Joey. Maybe I need to pray... or prey. Actually, talkin' religion is one of the main methods of seduction, or so I've read. The hookers I've known (not professionally) were all religious. They were used to getting down on their knees.

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

Tcg
Savant

Post #84

Post by Tcg »

Diogenes wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:48 pm Actually, talkin' religion is one of the main methods of seduction, or so I've read.
Some groups have taken it to the extreme:
The History and Theological Premise of Flirty Fishing (1977-1987)

In the latter part of the '70s and early '80s, David Berg, responding in part to the sexual liberality of that time period, presented the possibility of initiating a more personal and intimate form of witnessing which became known as "Flirty Fishing" or "FFing." Flirty Fishing later developed into a ministry throughout the Family until it was discontinued in 1987.

David proposed that the boundaries of expressing God's love to others could at times go beyond just showing kindness and doing good deeds. He suggested that for those who were in dire need of physical love and affection, even sex could serve as evidence to them of God's love.

https://davidberg.org/flirty-fishing/
The group David Berg led was at one time known as "The Children of God." They don't sound like atheists to me.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #85

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Diogenes wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:48 pm I missed the part about hookers being part of atheism. I've been missing out. Maybe I'm not cute like Joey. Maybe I need to pray... or prey. Actually, talkin' religion is one of the main methods of seduction, or so I've read. The hookers I've known (not professionally) were all religious. They were used to getting down on their knees.
You probably joined the wrong atheist denomination.
historia wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:28 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:09 am
It is rather boring
We keep agreeing.
Bottom line - this is just another cheap and dishonest effort at an atheist -bash and, as such, it fails.
Calm down, TRANSPONDER, I'm just teasing.

You guys are constantly taking cheap shots at Christianity on this forum with nary a reply from the opposition. But I jokingly say atheism is boring, and can barely hear myself over all the resulting pearl clutching. At least Joey and Difflugia had the good sense to respond with their own jesting, albeit one rather demeaning of women.
being boring is NOT why (as the video suggested) we should stop doing it
Oh, do you want to discuss the video? That's actually interesting.
Rather than cheap shots, I see valid doubt and question about the claims of religion, particular Christianity. However, your point that atheism is boring is both irrelevant (atheism is a logical stance and isn't supposed to be interesting in itself, just as right angle is what it is, whether anyone finds it interesting or not) and linking a video saying that's why it should be given up, is indeed a cheap shot as well at fatheaded. There is no need to discuss it further.

I am perfectly calm, so don't even think of playing the 'Oh, you got angry..so i must be right' card (the 'hey, lighten up, dude, I was only joking.' gambit is best left alone, too). You have already done your credibility and that of your case, enough harm. In fact, I'm disappointed as I usually expect quality arguments from you, not this cheap smearing.

historia
Prodigy

Post #86

Post by historia »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:01 pm
historia wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:59 am
You seem confused. You were just telling us about the virtues of prostitution -- which, in case you hadn't noticed, exploits vulnerable women -- and how this is part of atheism. Go on.
As if religion doesn't exploit the vulnerable?
'Religion' describes a broad array of human activities, some of which has clearly been cruel and exploitative. Good thing you're here to make sure atheism also gets in on that action.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:01 pm
My point in all this is that where one thinks a certain belief system is "boring", they only have their opinion to go by.
Any belief system -- whether one personally subscribes to it or not -- is inherently interesting. But, as we are repeatedly told on this forum, atheism is not a belief system. It has been carefully defined so as to assert nothing, deny nothing, and imply nothing, lest any atheist here have to defend an actual belief. Which makes your defense of it as a belief system the only interesting thing about atheism in this thread.

historia
Prodigy

Post #87

Post by historia »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:09 am
Rather than cheap shots, I see valid doubt and question about the claims of religion, particular Christianity.
There are those too. But I see an inordinate number of silly jabs and put-downs from the atheists on this forum -- the occasional barb I can appreciate, but the sheer number of cheap shots actually makes you all look desperate. Those largely go without any response from the Christians here. I guess they just have a thicker skin.
However, your point that atheism is boring . . . and linking a video saying that's why it should be given up, is indeed a cheap shot as well at fatheaded.
I take it from this and your earlier comment you didn't actually watch the video. Too bad, it makes a more sophisticated point than the title would suggest.
I'm disappointed as I usually expect quality arguments from you, not this cheap smearing.
I'll just have to find some way to recover, I guess.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #88

Post by Diogenes »

historia wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:28 am
Any belief system -- whether one personally subscribes to it or not -- is inherently interesting. But, as we are repeatedly told on this forum, atheism is not a belief system. It has been carefully defined so as to assert nothing, deny nothing, and imply nothing, lest any atheist here have to defend an actual belief. Which makes your defense of it as a belief system the only interesting thing about atheism in this thread.
This is true, as far as it goes, tho' there is a fine line between lack of belief in an entity and in denial of the existence of the entity. Despite ironic claims to the contrary I admit I not only lack belief in the Great Flying Spaghetti Monster, I deny its existence.
Re: God as described in the Jewish and Christian scriptures, I think it so highly improbable, the difference between lack of belief and outright denial is negligible.

A key point is that, altho' atheism is not a belief system, atheists have belief systems consistent with atheism. Generally that means a belief in the scientific method as the most reliable way of knowing and rejects the supernatural. I recall hearing that some atheists believe in ghosts or other aspects of the supernatural. To me at least, this seems outrageously inconsistent.

The closest I can come to a belief in something other than a random, mechanistic universe is a certain openness to the idea there may be an indefinable 'X' (which I can only hope is personal) that somehow pervades the universe.

One of my issues with religion and theism in general is the insistence their beliefs represent truth rather than actually seeking truth. How can one find truth, if one already claims a certain belief system is the truth?

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #89

Post by JoeyKnothead »

historia wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:28 am 'Religion' describes a broad array of human activities, some of which has clearly been cruel and exploitative. Good thing you're here to make sure atheism also gets in on that action.
Unlike so many theists, I don't claim my beliefs provide superior morality, or are the product of a "morals giver".
Atheism asserts a lack of belief in the goofy, illogical, unsupportable claims of the theist.

I accept that position informs my decisions elsewhere.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #90

Post by TRANSPONDER »

historia wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:44 am
Rather than cheap shots, I see valid doubt and question about the claims of religion, particular Christianity.
There are those too. But I see an inordinate number of silly jabs and put-downs from the atheists on this forum -- the occasional barb I can appreciate, but the sheer number of cheap shots actually makes you all look desperate. Those largely go without any response from the Christians here. I guess they just have a thicker skin.
However, your point that atheism is boring . . . and linking a video saying that's why it should be given up, is indeed a cheap shot as well at fatheaded.
I take it from this and your earlier comment you didn't actually watch the video. Too bad, it makes a more sophisticated point than the title would suggest.
I'm disappointed as I usually expect quality arguments from you, not this cheap smearing.
I'll just have to find some way to recover, I guess.
I did watch the video - or enough to see that it was worse than making a bad argument (atheism in itself is a position on a claim. It does not have to be a fascinating pursuit in itself - atheist have lives outside of atheism) but that it was 'boring' was given as a reason not to do it, which is an awfully bad argument. The jabs and put down atheism makes...well ok, but if they are not valid, let theist apologists refute them rather than play the victim.

The argument of course should be on the evidence or logic, not poking fun or suggesting to give up a valid logical position on the poor grounds that it is boring. I see no way that any sophistication could save such a fundamentally flawed argument.