"I do not fear death because I am in Christ."

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

"I do not fear death because I am in Christ."

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

I just heard this statement by a person who is much in the news these days.

Is this a valid statement?

Does anyone have the right to express such confidence?

What would qualify one to feel this confidence?

I'll refrain for now from reveling the identity of the person who made this claim. If a robust discussion develops, I'll reveal their identity and then we can discuss if that changes any opinions.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Re: "I do not fear death because I am in Christ."

Post #41

Post by Tcg »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:35 pm
Tcg wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:14 am
Shem Yoshi wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:47 pm
Tcg wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:40 pm
Shem Yoshi wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:55 pm
Tcg wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:48 pm .
Does anyone have the right to express such confidence?
No one should ever have the right to express such things. Its an abomination.

But the dictators in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of the United Nations would think otherwise
Article 19
Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

We need to have a revolution... these tyrannical authorities are enslaving people to liberty. its outrageous
I worded that question poorly. People have the right to express it, what I really intended to ask is if people are correct to have such confidence. In this case it is complicated by the fact that the person expressing such confidence is a convicted murderer responsible for 6 deaths and 61 serious injuries. One would think that would give one reason for doubt.

Tcg
Murderous Paul expressed the same things
And whoever wrote the gospel of John.

Tcg
So should any man fear death? For what reason should a man fear, or not fear death?
Dying may not be fun depending on how it occurs, but there no reason to fear death. In all likelihood it'll be absolutely nothing. No heaven. No hell. No anything.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #42

Post by Shem Yoshi »

Tcg wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:36 pm [Replying to DJT_47 in post #39]

The bible is not considered authoritative in this subforum so using it as an authority here is a fail. Beyond that, it doesn't matter what the bible says about being "in Christ." All that matters is what the murderer Darrell Brooks thinks it means and he thinks it means that he is going to heaven.

Tcg
I think your right, Darrell Brooks thinks hes going to heaven. However, if he is wrong, what does he have to fear? Seems to me if Darrell is wrong, he should have nothing to fear.

Pascal's Wager would suggest that not only is the man well in believing in God, but rational, and loses nothing from believing in God.

"Pascal's wager is a philosophical argument presented by the seventeenth-century French mathematician, philosopher, physicist and theologian Blaise Pascal (1623–1662).[1] It posits that human beings wager with their lives that God either exists or does not.

Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas if God does exist, he stands to receive infinite gains (as represented by eternity in Heaven) and avoid infinite losses (an eternity in Hell)."
“Them that die'll be the lucky ones.”

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #43

Post by Shem Yoshi »

Tcg wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:41 pm
Dying may not be fun depending on how it occurs, but there no reason to fear death. In all likelihood it'll be absolutely nothing. No heaven. No hell. No anything.

Tcg
Well there is good reason to fear death, and people do it naturally. That reason would be if God exists and you are on the wrong side of God.

Surely you dont have any evidence for your comment: "In all likelihood it'll be absolutely nothing. No heaven. No hell. No anything. "

Tcg
Savant

Post #44

Post by Tcg »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:46 pm
Tcg wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:36 pm [Replying to DJT_47 in post #39]

The bible is not considered authoritative in this subforum so using it as an authority here is a fail. Beyond that, it doesn't matter what the bible says about being "in Christ." All that matters is what the murderer Darrell Brooks thinks it means and he thinks it means that he is going to heaven.

Tcg
I think your right, Darrell Brooks thinks hes going to heaven. However, if he is wrong, what does he have to fear? Seems to me if Darrell is wrong, he should have nothing to fear.

Pascal's Wager would suggest that not only is the man well in believing in God, but rational, and loses nothing from believing in God.

"Pascal's wager is a philosophical argument presented by the seventeenth-century French mathematician, philosopher, physicist and theologian Blaise Pascal (1623–1662).[1] It posits that human beings wager with their lives that God either exists or does not.

Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas if God does exist, he stands to receive infinite gains (as represented by eternity in Heaven) and avoid infinite losses (an eternity in Hell)."
Pascal's wager is a total failure not least of which being that if you pick the wrong god/gods you may be in a worse situation than if you refused to accept any of the unevidenced gods.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #45

Post by Shem Yoshi »

The good reason someone might fear death is if they are in sin. It would be logical to fear death if someone is in sin. Like not living according to what they ought to live to.

I think most people fear death

Tcg
Savant

Post #46

Post by Tcg »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:48 pm

Tcg
Well there is good reason to fear death, and people do it naturally. That reason would be if God exists and you are on the wrong side of God.
Which god/gods are you trying to scare me with?
Surely you dont have any evidence for your comment: "In all likelihood it'll be absolutely nothing. No heaven. No hell. No anything. "
It's the only logical conclusion given the absolute absence of any evidence for any afterlife.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #47

Post by Shem Yoshi »

Tcg wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:55 pm

Tcg
It's the only logical conclusion given the absolute absence of any evidence for any afterlife.

Tcg
Can you define "evidence"? I'm pretty sure it is anything that supports a claim.

viewtopic.php?p=1103711#p1103711

Tcg
Savant

Post #48

Post by Tcg »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:02 pm

Tcg

Tcg
Can you define "evidence"? I'm pretty sure it is anything that supports a claim.

And what can you present as sufficient evidence to support belief in an afterlife?

Oh, and just which god/gods are trying to scare me with and what verifiable evidence do you have of their existence?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #49

Post by Shem Yoshi »

Tcg wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:21 pm

Tcg

Tcg

And what can you present as sufficient evidence to support belief in an afterlife?

Oh, and just which god/gods are trying to scare me with and what verifiable evidence do you have of their existence?

Tcg
In order to avoid fallacy of a "true Scotsman" I would like to define "evidence"... Anyone can reject a Scotsman for anything they want, but a true Scotsman is from Scotland

Tcg
Savant

Post #50

Post by Tcg »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:26 pm
Tcg wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:21 pm

Tcg

Tcg

Tcg
In order to avoid fallacy of a "true Scotsman" I would like to define "evidence"... Anyone can reject a Scotsman for anything they want, but a true Scotsman is from Scotland
This doesn't address any of my questions. Why are you avoiding them?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom