Why Should Anyone Care What the Bible Says?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Why Should Anyone Care What the Bible Says?

Post #1

Post by POI »

For eons, theists will quote Scripture, with the presupposition that it is authoritative in some kind of way. I contend that the Bible is no better or worse than any other collection of writings. Meaning, it may appear to have some 'good' things to say, some 'bad' things to say, some 'strange' things to say, some 'wrong' things to say, some untenable things to say, some contradictory things to say, etc etc etc....

Any of us can produce passages and quotes from anyone, or any publication. To many, the Bible is just another one of those tools for use, where applicable.

For Debate:

Why should one more-so care what the Bible says? Is it because....

1. It is the inspired word of God? If so, how do you know?

2. Another reason(s)? If so, what, and why does this make anyone care what the Bible says?
Last edited by POI on Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Savant

Re: Why Should Anyone Care What the Bible Says?

Post #31

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:54 am
1213 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:11 am
POI wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:43 pm Your statement is not true. In the slavery thread, you acknowledge contradiction,...
In that case I think you have misunderstood what I meant. Sorry, if I was not clear enough. Please tell, what contradiction I acknowledged?
I already directed you to the contradiction between yourself and god. Post 76 of the slavery thread.
Sorry, I don't think that shows a contradiction in the Bible. Please explain what do you mean?

Savant

Post #32

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:49 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:06 pm
POI wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:43 pm ...
Does this mean you are an atheist?
Of course he is - about every god other than the one he believes in.
I don't claim other gods don't exist. It is possible that they have existed, I just wouldn't keep them as my God.
Then you are still an atheist :D Do you believe those gods do actually exist or do you just say you don't deny the possibility
I think it is possible they have existed. I don't know it. And because it is irrelevant to me, I have no reason to decide do I believe. And, if I would say "I don't believe they exist", it would be to me the same as saying "they don't exist", and I can't say so, because I don't know enough to make such claim.

POI
Prodigy

Post #33

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:52 am I already directed you to the contradiction between yourself and god. Post 76 of the slavery thread.
Sorry, I don't think that shows a contradiction in the Bible. Please explain what do you mean?
[/quote]

Please re-read what I wrote. Do you NOT have a contradiction between God's instruction(s), verses your own?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #34

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:52 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:49 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:06 pm
POI wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:43 pm ...
Does this mean you are an atheist?
Of course he is - about every god other than the one he believes in.
I don't claim other gods don't exist. It is possible that they have existed, I just wouldn't keep them as my God.
Then you are still an atheist :D Do you believe those gods do actually exist or do you just say you don't deny the possibility
I think it is possible they have existed. I don't know it. And because it is irrelevant to me, I have no reason to decide do I believe. And, if I would say "I don't believe they exist", it would be to me the same as saying "they don't exist", and I can't say so, because I don't know enough to make such claim.
Then you are as atheist about them as I am :D , and you show clearly what we know - theists, no matter how irrational and illogical, can do logic as much as any atheist If they shed god faith.

You have essentially expressed the perfectly rational reasons to reject any gods, except the irrational and illogical reasons you believe in just the one. it's why we saw that Theists can became rational almost overnight simply by shedding Godfaith, which requires inverted, distorted and messed - up reasoning to make some kind of rationale for it.

P.s apart from this: "if I would say "I don't believe they exist", it would be to me the same as saying "they don't exist" I almost missed it because non -belief to a high degree is almost like being certain they don't exist. But in logic, one is not the other. Not believing the claim is true in NOT the same as saying it is false.

Savant

Post #35

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:55 pm ....
Then you are as atheist about them as I am :D...
So, you believe gods can exist? You don't claim Bible God is not real?

Savant

Post #36

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:26 am Please re-read what I wrote. Do you NOT have a contradiction between God's instruction(s), verses your own?
If I would have contradictory ideas, it would not mean Bible is contradictory. And I thought you were claiming Bible has contradiction in itself.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #37

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:45 am
1213 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:45 am
Let's see whether you can understand the way logic works,even if you don't buy the result.

Just as you don't claim to know there are no other gods, because you can't prove they don't, I don't claim to know no gods exist, including yours, but I don't believe in any of them.

I don't believe any of their Holy Books or Personal Experiences, just as you don't. I don't believe any of the personal experience for God, because we know about what the Theist apologists call 'Imperfect human perceptions', though we use it correctly, not to discredit the science that is designed to weed out mistakes and errors of perception.

Nor do I believe the Book that is filled with errors, contradictions and nonsense.

That is why I disbelieve in all the gods you disbelieve in, plus one more - Biblegod.

Now I'm going to ask the Question..one i never get an answer to: Did you really think that was a valid question, even though the answer was already given by you, or were you hoping to wrongfoot me into an admission that '''ohh, well, no, I don't know that Biblegod doesn't exist..." ?

Well, I know the answer already.The Believer thinks the logic goes like this:

"The god I believe in is real until 100% disproven, therefore if the atheist can't prove 100% it doesn't exist, it does". Isn't that the Faithbased reasoning you are following? Plus of course, dismissing out of hand all the other gods without even thinking about them Isn't that it?

Hawkins
Scholar

Post #38

Post by Hawkins »

Why should you care about what CNN and Fox News said that much, while one said that Triump won while the other said it's Biden?

It is because humans have no choice but to rely on the mass media to get to a truth, while Christianity is God's mass media. Simple as that. So if "Triump won" is a truth, the only way this truth can reach you is through a media such as Fox News. If "Biden won" is a truth, it goes through CNN and such to reach you. If God is true then it is Christianity/Bible which conveys such a truth. Can they convey a lie, of course. Everyone knows either CNN or Fox News lied about the election. Yet humans have no choice but to choose one of them to believe as it remains the only way for a truth to convey!

Atheists are the cursed, as they never understand how a truth shall convey among human beings. They live in dreams where everything is evidenced, including the votes of Biden and Triump. Then why the hack one of them can lie if the votes can be evidenced?! lol.
Last edited by Hawkins on Thu May 04, 2023 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #39

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Epistemology, Information and Authority is a tricky one, that's for sure. :D Critical thinking and being informed helps.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #40

Post by Clownboat »

Hawkins wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:13 am Why should you care about what CNN and Fox News said that much, while one said that Triump won while the other said it's Biden?

It is because humans have no choice but to rely on the mass media to get to a truth, while Christianity is God's mass media. Simple as that. So if "Triump won" is a truth, the only way this truth can reach you is through a media such as Fox News. If "Biden won" is a truth, it goes through CNN and such to reach you. If God is true then it is Christianity/Bible which conveys such a truth. Can they convey a lie, of course. Everyone knows either CNN or Fox News lied about the election. Yet humans have no choice but to choose one of them to believe as it remains the only way for a truth to convey!
Stop pretending to know things that are unknowable. This includes the election results and whether or not there are gods out there.
It's obvious that not knowing things bothers you. For such people, humans invented religions and god concepts to provide answers to unknowable things like why we are here or what happens to us when we die. People such as yourself gobble up such answers and is the reason for the religions we now have.
Atheists are the cursed, as they never understand how a truth shall convey among human beings.

I'm confused, are you not an atheist when it comes to Allah for example? How cursed are you?
They live in dreams where everything is evidenced, including the votes of Biden and Triump.
What dream to atheists believe about Biden and Trump votes and is such a thing actually a requirement in order to be an atheist?
Then why the hack one of them can lie if the votes can be evidenced?! lol.
You seem awfully emotional about this. Perhaps try to leave your emotions out of it.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb