Reasons people deny God!

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

adamson

Reasons people deny God!

Post #1

Post by adamson »

Hello!

My name is Adam. I was just surfing the web and came across this forum and decided to make a quick register and write a topic, as i saw there was quite a few god-deniers here, and I wanted to ask them (you) why you are like this.

The only reasons I myself can come up with would be that you are such a self-centred person that you do not want God to "decide" what you are allowed to do, and not to do. Maybe you are a gambler, go to brothels, a killer or a thief. I hope of course most of you are not, but just as a logical assumption, i must assume you are something like that, or similar to any of it, as i see no other reason.

I am a proud American. And my personal opinion is that god-deniers should not be considered american citizens as this country was founded upon the glory of God. And my country is currently, and have been during the last century the guardian of peace for the world. We protected the world from communism, terrorism, facism and everything that is evil. Even when people insult us, we aid them and give them help. We give poor countrys billions of dollars just because we are know it is good and yet, they come and insult us, and then ask for more. How can you, especially as american, deny god and insult your nation in that manner? It makes no sense to me.

Best Regards
Adam

Fallibleone
Guru

Post #11

Post by Fallibleone »

Hi Adam. I'm having trouble discerning the veracity of your approach. Are you being genuine in your comments and questions? If you are then here is my response.

1)I do not believe that God exists because I have no evidence that he does.

2)I am sometimes self-centred, doing things I like simply because I like doing them, and sometimes not, performing acts of charity without expectation of reward. Much like a Christian is sometimes self-centred, doing things they like simply because they like doing them, and sometimes not, performing acts of charity with one eye on the grand prize. Well...we're almost the same.

3)I am not a gambler, a murderer, a brothel frequenter or a thief.

4)In my opinion, it is an incorrect assumption that morality stems from Christianity.

5)I would like to echo McCulloch's comment regarding WWII (and WWI, while we're at it).

6)I feel I have to disabuse you of your belief that the world looks up to America.

7)Unfortunately, when I think of America, my initial thought is not 'golly, what a great place that must be to live because it is a Christian nation, which is obviously working out great for them'. I would rather live where I do.

8)You should not attempt to show anybody the way to something the existence of which is far from certain. To do so can actually have the opposite effect to the one which you desired.

9)Why are you convinced that your belief is correct, considering the fact that most people on Earth are not Christians?

bernee51
Site Supporter

Re: Reasons people deny God!

Post #12

Post by bernee51 »

adamson wrote:Hello!

My name is Adam. I was just surfing the web and came across this forum and decided to make a quick register and write a topic, as i saw there was quite a few god-deniers here, and I wanted to ask them (you) why you are like this.
I am not a god denier - I just don't believe it exists. In fact - the JCI god - a creator god - is an impossibility.
adamson wrote: The only reasons I myself can come up with would be that you are such a self-centred person that you do not want God to "decide" what you are allowed to do, and not to do.[
How can a non-existent entity decide what I can/cannot do. Besides, is it not more moral to take those decisions oneself?
adamson wrote: Maybe you are a gambler, go to brothels, a killer or a thief. I hope of course most of you are not, but just as a logical assumption, i must assume you are something like that, or similar to any of it, as i see no other reason.
Would you do that sort of thing if god did not exist?
adamson wrote: And my country is currently, and have been during the last century the guardian of peace for the world. We protected the world from communism, terrorism, facism and everything that is evil.
Why has not the USA followed the golden rule when it comes to foreign policy?
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

adamson

Post #13

Post by adamson »

1)I do not believe that God exists because I have no evidence that he does.
You can not prove that God does not exist.

Do you deny your parents? Same thing. You know very well your parents exist. Why would you deny them? PErhaps because of anger.

How else would you exist if not for your parents? Same with God. Release your anger.
2)I am sometimes self-centred, doing things I like simply because I like doing them, and sometimes not, performing acts of charity without expectation of reward. Much like a Christian is sometimes self-centred, doing things they like simply because they like doing them, and sometimes not, performing acts of charity with one eye on the grand prize. Well...we're almost the same.
Our Moral comes from Gods word.
3)I am not a gambler, a murderer, a brothel frequenter or a thief.
Good.
4)In my opinion, it is an incorrect assumption that morality stems from Christianity.
It does stems from God. Who else? You?
5)I would like to echo McCulloch's comment regarding WWII (and WWI, while we're at it).
OK.
6)I feel I have to disabuse you of your belief that the world looks up to America.
Jealousy of other countries is common when you are the best.
7)Unfortunately, when I think of America, my initial thought is not 'golly, what a great place that must be to live because it is a Christian nation, which is obviously working out great for them'. I would rather live where I do.
If it was not for us, your country would not exist. It is because my Nation decided to be loving and helpful your nation is still free. We asked nothing in return for us to help you.

Remember that.
8)You should not attempt to show anybody the way to something the existence of which is far from certain. To do so can actually have the opposite effect to the one which you desired.
So you come from nothing?
9)Why are you convinced that your belief is correct, considering the fact that most people on Earth are not Christians?
Everyone knows that God exist, deep inside. It is very easy, look at us, you think we "evolved" from soup?

It is clear that evolution has gotten you, just remember next time you read something about it, "can they prove it"?

-
Why has not the USA followed the golden rule when it comes to foreign policy?
We do.

We need to protect our allies. We are not the agitators, the muslims are.

You think it is a mere coincidence that United States is the most powerful nation in the world, that we have the most advanced technology and best medicines?

And the Muslim countries live in caves, almost literally.

I guess its just a COINCIDENCE!
Would you do that sort of thing if god did not exist?
I follow what God gave me. And God gave me the moral to know what is right.
How can a non-existent entity decide what I can/cannot do. Besides, is it not more moral to take those decisions oneself?
God exist.
I am not a god denier - I just don't believe it exists. In fact - the JCI god - a creator god - is an impossibility.
Prove it.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by McCulloch »

For an introduction, you seemed to have struck a nerve. I can't wait to get you into an actual debate.
McCulloch wrote:I am one of those God deniers. I used to be a Christian. I am sure that you will have plenty of opportunity to examine why I hold the views I do.
adamson wrote:So how come you deny God now? What made you turn away from him? Anger? You wanted to do something that did not work with Gods word?
You already knew he existed, and now you deny Him. I assume you can see the contradiction.
No. I believed that God existed. Further study showed that that belief was not valid.
McCulloch wrote:Why [are you a proud American.]?
adamson wrote:Because America is a symbol for what the world should be. Our country is the greatest country in the world. And the reason is God. I know you can say that America has many faults, especially since evolution came, and this was because of the god-deniers rise to power that made us lose ourself. HIV and other STDs have been spreading because of this, because the kids dont wait until they are married because of the evolution propaganda they are taught in school, only to care about themselves and not God.
Anyone not living in this great country can try moving to another and see how good they have it compared to us.
I think that it would be false reasoning to say that all of the faults of the USA are due to or subsequent to the teaching of evolution. Slavery and racism were supported by Bible preaching southerners long before Darwin. I do live in another country. I like it just fine. So have many Americans who have felt the need to escape from the Land of the Free. Starting with the United Empire Loyalists, escaped slaves, targets of McCarthy's cold war, Viet Nam draft dodgers and in the future, I fear, refugees from the new American Christian Taliban.
McCulloch wrote:And here I was thinking that your country's constitution guaranteed the freedom of religion and opposed the establishment of religion.
adamson wrote:God is needed for a good society. Look at Soviet Union and compare it to United States of America.
The Soviet Union fell not because it was atheist but because they were unbending ideologues. I believe that uncritical adherence to any idea will bring about tyranny. America's strength relative to the Soviet Union is the ability of the Americans to think, to question, to adapt, to invent, to disagree without having to resort to violence or to fear the authorities. Why do you only compare the USA with the USSR? Why not the UK, Canada, Germany, Turkey, Iran, China or Ethiopia?
McCulloch wrote:Like you are helping Afghanistan and Iraq?
adamson wrote:We are helping the people there yes. Because they cant help themselves following a false God. You want to me to quote statistics of the killings Muslims do?
I'm sure that they appreciate it. Muslims who are intolerant are as bad as Marxists who are intolerant or Christians who are intolerant.
adamson wrote:Because our Nation was founded upon God and His principals. We are the strongest and most powerful nation on the planet, and this is because our historical love for God. Are you to reap the benefits of this whiles you deny him?
Do you realize that the US Declaration Independence directly contradicts the teachings of the Bible? In this case, I believe the Bible to be in error and the US Declaration represented a great step forward in the development of humanity.
[mrow]The Declaration of Independance[mcol]The Bible[row]We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, [b]deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,[/b] --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States.[col]I see nowhere in the Bible that teaches these unalienable rights. In fact, in his letter to the Romans chapter 13, Paul teaches, "Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God." This teaching was wisely ignored by the framers of your Declaration. They claim that governments derive their powers from the consent of the governed and that the people have the right, even the obligation not to be subject to the governing authorities and to abolish the governments established by God. Jesus taught that his followers should render unto Caesar their taxes, yet the Declaration claims that taxation is only acceptable if those who are taxed are represented in government. No, your country was not founded on the principles of the Biblical God, but on more advanced and higher principles.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by McCulloch »

adamson wrote:You can not prove that God does not exist.
I cannot prove that unicorns do not exist.
adamson wrote:Our Moral comes from Gods word.
No they don't.
adamson wrote:If it was not for us, your country would not exist. It is because my Nation decided to be loving and helpful your nation is still free. We asked nothing in return for us to help you.

Remember that.
If you are talking about the world wars, I really doubt that the motivation was altruistic. Perhaps your country got involved only when it was directly attacked and felt at risk, or was it just a coincidence.
adamson wrote:Everyone knows that God exist, deep inside.
No we don't.
adamson wrote:We need to protect our allies. We are not the agitators, the muslims are.
Find any WMDs recently? Have you tracked down Osama bin-Laden or did you divert too many military resources to Iraq to bother with that troublesome little detail?
adamson wrote:God exist.
Without proof that is just an opinion.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

FinalEnigma
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by FinalEnigma »

adamson wrote:Hello!

and I wanted to ask them (you) why you are like this.
such a self-centred person...a gambler, go to brothels, a killer or a thief...as a logical assumption, i must assume you are something like that

god-deniers should not be considered american citizens...How can you, especially as american, deny god and insult your nation in that manner?
So how come you deny God now? What made you turn away from him? Anger? You wanted to do something that did not work with Gods word?...I know you can say that America has many faults, especially since evolution came, and this was because of the god-deniers rise to power that made us lose ourself...Perhaps you are not a "true" denier, but maybe just full of anger....perhaps it is just anger for some reason. You feel like God tricked you perhaps? Something happened and you blame it all on Him?

It does stems from God. Who else? You?
When you stop insulting me, and half the people on this website, with overgeneralizations that dont even apply to one single atheist that I know, I might start to take you seriously.

Jealousy of other countries is common when you are the best.

If it was not for us, your country would not exist. It is because my Nation decided to be loving and helpful your nation is still free.
This is the kind of absurd arrogance that i find very insulting in people.

person 1) I am better than you.
person 2) No, youre not.
person 1) You're just jealous.

That is something you run across in online games frequently. Usually it is arrogant, incorrect, petulant children who spews that garbage. I hope you are not a petulant child.

To those of you who are not americans; Not all americans hold such a stupid idea of the world. So please, dont judge me based on his statements.

Adamson. I happen to know a particular atheist. You will never be able to explain their life with your absurd definition of atheists. If you knew who I was talking about, and you even tried, you would be digging yourself into a hole from which there is no escape.

adamson

Post #17

Post by adamson »

McCulloch

With regard to nation, and the fact you are a Canadian, i presume there is some hostility in you towards America because of jealousy. I´ve seen many people from different nationalities act this way because of the fact that they come from inferior countries.

Interestingly enough, i always am honorable and nice to these people, as well as explain to them why my nation is so good (God), and how you would be like us (accept God). There is no surprise that we are No.I in the world as a nation, with a 90+ belief in God. You seem to (i assume jokingly) say that it has nothing to do with God.

Of course, i know i am not fully correct here, as i refer to the one true God of the Holy Bible, and muslim live in caves and sandboxes worshiping a false God (alsobeing believers). I just assume everyone else can see the simple facts of it. It´s there, infront of you.

FinalEnigma
When you stop insulting me, and half the people on this website, with overgeneralizations that dont even apply to one single atheist that I know, I might start to take you seriously.
I am not insulting you, i am merely stating the truth.

Without God you have no compass to good moral. Look at the thousands Communists have killed. I guess it has nothing to do with lack of God, but once again, a mere coincidence.

I wonder when this "coincidence" folly will stop, and you will accept truth. Where do you come from? As you clearly have no parents (denial in God, is the same as deny your parents existence).

Fallibleone
Guru

Post #18

Post by Fallibleone »

[q]You can not prove that God does not exist.[/q]

I don't need to prove it. If you want me to believe in God, you need to prove to me that he exists. There's a lovely long thread on this board all about this subject.

[q]Do you deny your parents? Same thing. You know very well your parents exist. Why would you deny them? PErhaps because of anger.[/q]

Denying my physically obvious parents is nothing like the same thing as denying a mythical being. I must confess I am confused by your comment. You seem to think that I am denying my parents. This is irrelevant to the real point, which is my denial of a mythical being. What it is you think I am angry about?

[q]How else would you exist if not for your parents? Same with God. Release your anger.[/q]

I would not exist without my parents. As we can both see, I exist perfectly well despite the absence of God. Again, what anger?
[q]Our Moral comes from Gods word.[/q]

This is an opinion masquerading as fact. By the way, I was cheekily asking whether a Christian can ever be said to not be self-centred. Did you notice?
[q]It does stems from God. Who else? You?[/q]

Let me get this straight - you're asking me if I created the concept of morals? No, surprisingly I did not. But just because I didn't create it, it does not therefore follow that God did. My parents (non-Christian) helped me a lot, though.
[q]Jealousy of other countries is common when you are the best.[/q]

It's unfortunate that you have decided to attribute my comment to jeaulousy. Still, your comments are doing nothing whatsoever to change anyone's views if they feel similarly to me. So the world looks up to America, but people say they don't because they are jealous? It is perfectly possible for non-Americans to feel content in their countries of origin.
[q]If it was not for us, your country would not exist. It is because my Nation decided to be loving and helpful your nation is still free. We asked nothing in return for us to help you.

Remember that. [/q]

'Your' nation was jerked awake by a direct attack. Much as it was in 2001. I'm not sure how a nation which cannot manage to provide adequate health care for its own citizens can be accurately described as 'the best'. I'm sure you don't need me to remind you that pride is a sin.
[q]So you come from nothing?[/q]

That's what I believe. I wasn't there, so I don't know. But I don't see how that's relevant to what I said. I'll put it like this. If you're wrong, and let's say for the sake of argument that Islam is correct, then what you are doing by 'showing the way' is leading people away from God, damning not just yourself, but all those you thought you were helping. If you want to take that risk, it's up to you. It's downright irresponsible to try and take others with you.
[q]Everyone knows that God exist, deep inside. It is very easy, look at us, you think we "evolved" from soup?[/q]

Again, opinion masquerading as fact. Everyone does not know that God exists. Or, if you like, no one knows that God exists. They a)choose to believe he does b)choose to believe he does not c)reserve judgement until such time as they feel informed enough to make a decision.
The 'look at how wonderful everything is, it must have been designed' approach is a well-used and (imo) lazy argument.

[q]It is clear that evolution has gotten you, just remember next time you read something about it, "can they prove it"?[/q]

Nothing has 'got me'. I can only try and explain that I am willing to believe anything that can be proved. If God exists, it should be easy enough to prove it. I am not sure why you are attempting to teach me how to think logically. I don't believe everything I am told. I was told that God is real and so I asked for proof. At the time of typing, I have received none. Therefore, I don't believe in God.

FinalEnigma
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by FinalEnigma »

adamson wrote: FinalEnigma
I am not insulting you, i am merely stating the truth.

Without God you have no compass to good moral. Look at the thousands Communists have killed. I guess it has nothing to do with lack of God, but once again, a mere coincidence.

I wonder when this "coincidence" folly will stop, and you will accept truth. Where do you come from? As you clearly have no parents (denial in God, is the same as deny your parents existence).
Am I mistaken or is telling someone that they are probably a murderous degenerate not an insult? You know nothing about me, therefore making negative assumption of my character is insulting.

I see that you have no wish to have an honest debate, and would rather just bash atheists, therefore I will now step out of this thread.

Have a nice day.

Fallibleone
Guru

Post #20

Post by Fallibleone »

FinalEnigma wrote:To those of you who are not americans; Not all americans hold such a stupid idea of the world. So please, dont judge me based on his statements.
I prefer to work on a person-by-person basis. There are people of questionable beliefs everywhere. Ever heard of Maggie Thatcher? :D