no
85%

Total votes: 33

worship-your-mother-she-i
Apprentice

Is christianity logical?

Post #1

Post by worship-your-mother-she-i »

Christianity says that only if you are a christian you will go to heaven.Else you go to hell,that too permenant hell.All this is said while christians talk of god being kind and a father.My questions

1)What about the people born before christ?According to christianity they should have gone to hell.But this sounds highly injust.They were born before jesus.So they werent christians.So if they go to hell for not following a religion which is going to be established 1000 years after their birth,,isnt this injustice?

2)What about american native indians in 2nd century?They never heard about jesus.So they werent christians.So they went to hell,right?Isnt this injustice?

3)If jesus said "If somebody slaps you,show him your next cheek too"-how logical is it that such a kind man will throw away people who did not worship him into permenant burning hell?

4)If jesus prayed to god "father they dont know what they do.Forgive them" on his crucifiers,how logical is it to say that he will throw away people in permenant hell for not worshiping him?

5)If i do any sin,even if i beat my mother she will always love me.Even if i never repent for my sins she will always pray for my well being.Do you mean to say that god doesnt have this love on me which my mother has?

Imagine a man like Gandhi who died as a devout hindu.Will jesus tell gandhi "You did not accept me.So burn in hell"?Will he tell somebody like ted bundy "you did serial killings.But you are christian.So go to heaven"?Is this justice?is this logical?

Apprentice

Prophets

Post #2

If Jesus was the only way to god,what about the previous prophets like Abraham and Moses?Did they go to hell then?If you say they went to heaven,then it indicates that jesus is not the only way to reach god.So something is wrong in this belief.Please clarify.

Will jesus say in heaven "you dint believe me.So go to permenant burning hell?"Will a man who prayed for the forgiveness for his crucifiers throw me in permenant hell for not beinga christian?Is the worlds two thirds of non christian population permenantly entering hell?THink friends.All religion are ways to reach the same god.

ENIGMA
Sage

Re: Prophets

Post #3

Post by ENIGMA »

worship-your-mother-she-i wrote:THink friends.All religion are ways to reach the same god.
Yes, none.
Gilt and Vetinari shared a look. It said: While I loathe you and all of your personal philosophy to a depth unplummable by any line, I will credit you at least with not being Crispin Horsefry [The big loud idiot in the room].

-Going Postal, Discworld

Apprentice

No answers

Post #4

I am surprised that you guys are still trying to find out answers for the post.That isnt that difficult a question.

Simon
Student

Post #5

Post by Simon »

I think salvation is only through Christ Jesus, who has always existed. If it's true that He has always existed, then you can begin to see how someone like Abraham, who lived before Jesus was incarnated, could possibly be saved and end up in heaven with the rest of the people who fall under the category of "Christian" .. not that falling under a category can possibly save a person .. simply that if we're going to define "Christians" then perhaps we ought to define them as that group of people existing after the incarnation who follow the teachings of Christ and who have received the free gift of salvation by His sacrifice. (I fully realize, btw, that this is not the common definition accepted by the world today.. the term quickly becomes useless just as C.S. Lewis warned in his Preface to Mere Christianity.)

agnostic_pilgrim
Student

Post #6

Post by agnostic_pilgrim »

Simon wrote:I think salvation is only through Christ Jesus, who has always existed. If it's true that He has always existed, then you can begin to see how someone like Abraham, who lived before Jesus was incarnated, could possibly be saved and end up in heaven with the rest of the people who fall under the category of "Christian" .. not that falling under a category can possibly save a person .. simply that if we're going to define "Christians" then perhaps we ought to define them as that group of people existing after the incarnation who follow the teachings of Christ and who have received the free gift of salvation by His sacrifice. (I fully realize, btw, that this is not the common definition accepted by the world today.. the term quickly becomes useless just as C.S. Lewis warned in his Preface to Mere Christianity.)
So Jesus's sacrfice has always existed?
"No one is choosing to go to hell. They merely disbelieve your religion. Equating my disbelief of your religion with choosing hell, is as ridiculous as someone equating your disbelief of their religion with your wanting to go to their hell." - Emery Lee

Simon
Student

Post #7

Post by Simon »

Jesus' sacrifice happened at a specific point in time, but in the end, every man's acceptance or rejection of it will be the determining factor in each man's eternal state. It is widely accepted among believers that Jesus died not only for the sins of people who were living at the time He was incarnated on earth 2,000 years ago but also for people not YET living (namely, us). :) For reasons similar to why they accept that, they ought to accept that Jesus died not only for the sins of people living at the time He was incarnated on earth 2,000 years ago but also those who lived BEFORE that. [For more on the relationship between salvation for all people and Jesus, check out my post, "On the Bible and the Word" (offsite)]

agnostic_pilgrim
Student

Post #8

Post by agnostic_pilgrim »

Simon wrote:Jesus' sacrifice happened at a specific point in time, but in the end, every man's acceptance or rejection of it will be the determining factor in each man's eternal state. It is widely accepted among believers that Jesus died not only for the sins of people who were living at the time He was incarnated on earth 2,000 years ago but also for people not YET living (namely, us). :) For reasons similar to why they accept that, they ought to accept that Jesus died not only for the sins of people living at the time He was incarnated on earth 2,000 years ago but also those who lived BEFORE that. [For more on the relationship between salvation for all people and Jesus, check out my post, "On the Bible and the Word" (offsite)]
So people before the time of the incarnation are all saved? How could they be saved if they never had the chance to accept or reject Christ's sacrifice? In addition, they do not even know that there is a certain Christ who will die for them in the future. How is this so?
"No one is choosing to go to hell. They merely disbelieve your religion. Equating my disbelief of your religion with choosing hell, is as ridiculous as someone equating your disbelief of their religion with your wanting to go to their hell." - Emery Lee

Simon
Student

Post #9

Post by Simon »

No, they aren't all saved: Those who accept the free gift will be saved; Those who do not, will not be saved.
18. For Christ also died for sins once for all, [the] just for [the] unjust, in order that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; 19. in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits [now] in prison, 20. who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through [the] water. (1 Peter 3:18-20)
Christ preached to the dead. They have their chance, then, to accept or reject Christ.

By the way, some people were aware of the Christ to come.. many people. Thus, the many prophecies of the Old Testament about specific things Christ would do when He was incarnated.

Apprentice

no answers still

Post #10

You havent still answered how people who were born before jesus were saved.You say that jesus preached among the dead.Is this your answer or the official stance of christianity?I heard that before jesus all were going to hell endlessly and jesus came as a link.So finally all those in hell were saved or not?

Also you have to explain what happened to the souls of native americans till columbus landed in 15th century.Were they also saved?What about the souls of australian aborginees till 19th century?Were they also saved?