Moderator: Moderators

chrispalasz
Scholar

Why isn't everyone a Christian?

Post #1

Post by chrispalasz »

Post your personal individual perspectives on the following questions:

Christians:

1. Why do you think non-Christians do not believe that Jesus Christ is God and that the Bible holds the Truth about humanity?

2. Why isn't everyone a Christian?

3. Why do you think THEY think they don't believe?

Non-Christians:

1. How do you think a Christian would answer questions 1 and 2 above?

chrispalasz
Scholar

Post #71

Post by chrispalasz »

canadianhorsefan: Why would someone All-Powerful need to be divided in three?
This logic does not defeat the Trinity. The fact that, according to Christianity, God exists as the Father in Heaven, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit - is not changed by asking "why". You propose there is a "necessity" for this. It is necessary only according to the way God has done His creation. If He had done it some other way... maybe there wouldn't be a Trinity. But... there is.
jimspeiser: For that matter, why would someone All-Powerful need worshippers?
You also propose a necessity. There is none, in this case. God does not need worshippers any more than your posts need to be responded to. Christians desire to worship God. We were created for His glorification, and seeing that glorification in His Son Jesus Christ, and knowing it through the Holy Spirit, we worship Him.

The Happy Humanist
Site Supporter

Post #72

Post by The Happy Humanist »

canadianhorsefan wrote:
I wrote:For that matter, why would someone All-Powerful need worshippers?
Wouldn't you want them to thank you, for the food and shelter you've given them, and above all, their very own lives?
Um...no. I'm God, remember? I'm all-powerful, and I transcend the entire universe. If they don't want to thank me, hey, no biggie. I've got other things to worry about. Besides, I'm not sure I've done them any favors by creating them. ...And the ones without food and shelter, they can go ahead and curse me, too. I'd deserve it.
You wrote:Would you like them to invent lies about you? Wouldn't worshipping you be like thanking you and allowing them to remember you, and not make up things about you?
What difference would it make to me? I'm all-powerful, and have no need for ego strokes.
You wrote:See, worship isn't hard. It's not like the Aztecs thought, that you have to sacrifice other humans. It is simple, and Allah has given you a bonus: when you worship Him, it makes you feel peaceful. And happy. And shows that you are willing to pray instead of playing video games.
If I didn't want them to play video games, I wouldn't have created Nintendo.

samuelbb7
Sage

Post #73

Post by samuelbb7 »

First protestant Bible has 66 books the Catholic Bible has additional books which are called the apocrypha. The Bible took about 2000 years to assemble and write and covers much of history. It also warns agains spiritual beings trying to lie and say the Bible is wrong and not to trust it.

The Bible also says the HOLY SPIRIT will lead those willing to listen but most will not listen and prefer their own ways.

Colter
Apprentice

Post #74

Post by Colter »

Much of the bible was written by the Hebrew priest class, the same people who killed the prophets and even the Son of God. There are embellishments and tall tails mixed in with profound truth. Occults manipulate their believers through guilt and shame by asking them to believe things which a spiritually repugnant.

Those who are born of the spirit are led by the spirit and are no longer in bondage to fear of a wrathful God but come to know him as a loving father, the only concept ever taught by Jesus of Nazareth.

Arch
Scholar

Post #75

Post by Arch »

GreenLight311 wrote:
jimspeiser: For that matter, why would someone All-Powerful need worshippers?
You also propose a necessity. There is none, in this case. God does not need worshippers any more than your posts need to be responded to. Christians desire to worship God. We were created for His glorification, and seeing that glorification in His Son Jesus Christ, and knowing it through the Holy Spirit, we worship Him.
This is response is just simply untrue. Christians don't desire to worship GOD if they did there would be no reason for a bible and doctrines saying they should. They simple would do it on their own.

There would be no need for a promise of heaven for worshipping nor threat of hell if they don't worship him. Their DESIRE is to try to save themselves from the eternal fire they think they will face if they don't worship GOD correctly.
canadianhorsefan wrote:
I wrote:For that matter, why would someone All-Powerful need worshippers?
Wouldn't you want them to thank you, for the food and shelter you've given them, and above all, their very own lives?
If I was GOD I wouldn't have the desire man has to be seen of each other which Jesus himself speaks against such desires. So why would GOD have such a desire to be worshipped for doing good works.

I always use this analogy, If I knew there were children who needed shelter and food and I was able to help them get that plus improve their well being and health, but I refused to, even though I was easily capable of doing so, unless they worship me and devout the rest of their lives to me. Not only that but then I declared that if they didn't worship me I would make it impossible for them to ever get help anywhere else, to ever have a good life and in fact condemn them to a eternal hell now and even after they die. Most would say I was an evil person, a bad person, a wicked cruel being.

The GOD you say you worship says exactly the same thing according to you, but since it is him doing it it is all of a sudden Good righteous and true.

I call that way of thinking madness and illogical.
RELIGION IS A PRISON FOR THE SEEKERS OF WISDOM
Simplicity is Profundity
Simply put if you cant prove it, you cant reasonably be mad at me for not believing it

scorpia
Sage

Post #76

Post by scorpia »

Their DESIRE is to try to save themselves from the eternal fire they think they will face if they don't worship GOD correctly.
Not all christians are like that.................... And for those that do, how can they claim they love him when it would be out of fear?
I always use this analogy, If I knew there were children who needed shelter and food and I was able to help them get that plus improve their well being and health, but I refused to, even though I was easily capable of doing so, unless they worship me and devout the rest of their lives to me. Not only that but then I declared that if they didn't worship me I would make it impossible for them to ever get help anywhere else, to ever have a good life and in fact condemn them to a eternal hell now and even after they die. Most would say I was an evil person, a bad person, a wicked cruel being.
.... which would be forced worship and would in no way be achieving the love which requires free will which God wanted.
God asked for love, and it would not be possible to get this love if it was forced. God is not threatening anyone to love him, that would be pointless
'Belief is never giving up.'- Random footy adverisement.

Sometimes even a wise man is wrong. Sometimes even a fool is right.

Vianne
Student

Post #77

Post by Vianne »

GreenLight311 wrote:
The fact that, according to Christianity, God exists as the Father in Heaven, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit - is not changed by asking "why". You propose there is a "necessity" for this.
Necessity? No. Reason? Yes. Purpose gives value to action. Action is worthless without purpose. Nature reflects this. The rain falls for a reason, because it evaporated and was collected in the sky. Things fall for a reason, they are drawn to the center of the earth through gravity.

If someone were to consistently act in an obnoxious, inconsiderate manner, you could safely assume that he or she is an obnoxious, inconsiderate person.

In every area of creation, God has designed it so that all things have a distinct purpose. He created a logical world. You can therefore deduce that He is logical. Which means he more than likely has a reason for everything he does. His behavior is not changed by asking why, it is explained.

Vianne

The Happy Humanist
Site Supporter

Post #78

scorpia wrote: .... which would be forced worship and would in no way be achieving the love which requires free will which God wanted.
God asked for love, and it would not be possible to get this love if it was forced. God is not threatening anyone to love him, that would be pointless
You seem to be up against a brick wall on this one. Is it not true that if you don't love God, you go to hell? Now it could be argued that those who truly love God, do so voluntarily, out of a genuine love, and the threat is not necessary for them. That being the case, what is the point of the threat? If it applies to anyone, then it must be for those of us who don't love God. But of course, we can't bring ourselves to love someone who threatens us with hellfire if we don't. Could you? So, then, "spreading the word" must include this threat, which makes it self-defeating. N'est-ce pas?
Jim, the Happy Humanist!
===
Any sufficiently advanced worldview will be indistinguishable from sheer arrogance --The Happy Humanist (with apologies to Arthur C. Clarke)

Arch
Scholar

Post #79

Post by Arch »

scorpia wrote:
Their DESIRE is to try to save themselves from the eternal fire they think they will face if they don't worship GOD correctly.
Not all christians are like that.................... And for those that do, how can they claim they love him when it would be out of fear?
I now have my bible, so I can post some direct quotes

So GOD doesn't want us to fear him hun????
BIBLE wrote: JOB 28:28
And he said to man, 'The fear of the Lord-that is wisdom, and to shun evil is understanding.' "

PSALMS 111:10
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

PROVERBS 1:7
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

PROVERBS 9:10
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

Ecclesiastes 12:13
[COLOR=BLUELet us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.[/COLOR]
So the whole duty of man is to FEAR GOD and KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS.
that is what that verse says as does the other verses say that In order to be wise you must FEAR GOD.
scorpia wrote:
.... which would be forced worship and would in no way be achieving the love which requires free will which God wanted.
GOD doesn't force worship hunnn?
He commands you worship him to not worship him is a SIN, if you don't worship him he won't save you from the hell he created. He created hell for people who don't worship him. How can you possibly say he doesn't force worship.

WORSHIP ME OR GO TO HELL, thats the same as my analogy.

Shall I quote the first commandment of all the laws of the bible
bible wrote:
Exodus 34:14
For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

Exodus1-3
And God spoke all these words, saying:
2"I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3"You shall have no other gods before Me.
Here he commands worship and exclusivity in worship for only him. Now what happens if you dont worship him
bible wrote: 4"You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 5you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
Clearly and I mean crystal clear, GOD states that if you don't worship him not only will he curse you but your children as well....wow what a loving GOD. And not just your children but your children's children as well unto the fourth generation....SO SO MERCIFUL #-o

Thats crystal clear and cant even be debated or given another interpretation. GOD DEMANDS WORSHIP or you get hell. Plain and simple!!!
RELIGION IS A PRISON FOR THE SEEKERS OF WISDOM
Simplicity is Profundity
Simply put if you cant prove it, you cant reasonably be mad at me for not believing it

The Happy Humanist
Site Supporter

Post #80

Vianne wrote: In every area of creation, God has designed it so that all things have a distinct purpose. He created a logical world. You can therefore deduce that He is logical. Which means he more than likely has a reason for everything he does. His behavior is not changed by asking why, it is explained.
Now, I'm no student of logic, but I think this is called "using your premise as your conclusion" or something (help me out, here, you collegiate types). You have stated that "all things have a distinct purpose. He created a logical world." You must have a reason for believing this. I assume it is because you are able to perceive the logic in everything that you have ever seen. But wait...you go on to state, "he more than likely has a reason for everything he does..." which implies to me that you have perceived some things that don't make sense - perhaps the tsunami is a good example. If this is the case, then we cannot state with certainty that "He created a logical world." And down the drain goes your conclusion.
Jim, the Happy Humanist!
===
Any sufficiently advanced worldview will be indistinguishable from sheer arrogance --The Happy Humanist (with apologies to Arthur C. Clarke)