Prayer

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Diocletianus812

Prayer

Post #1

Post by Diocletianus812 »

Could someone please explain what prayer is? How to operate it? I am interested in knowing:

A) Is a degree or special training required for prayer?
B) How do I know my prayers were answered - not luck or because of 'work'?
C) Are prayers which are not answered instantly stored somewhere - where?
D) We understand sound is vibrations. Scienctifically speaking how does prayer work?
E) Does one need faith to pray?
F) Must one pray alone (the bible seems not to clarify)
G) How exactly does praying for someone you do not know work?
H) How many times must one pray for a miracle to happen?
I) How does christian prayer differ from other prayer?
J) Has anyone ever actually moved a mountian with prayer? Or was
Jesus just over extending himself?
K) Are prayers ever not answered? How do I know which ones were and which ones are not - are prayers rejected? I feel this is extremely important to know! If prayer works I want use it! I must know which ones not to use so they are not rejected.
L) Is a sinners prayer ever answered?(IE Before John Gotti was sentenced he could clearly be seen praying - He was jailed and died there) - Many(ALL sincere) mafioso was typically a devout catholic. As time passed some became christian. In the 80sPaul Castellano ("The Boss of Bosses") attended church and prayed atleast once a week. He was bringing in $10,000,000 a month. He died quickly and painlessly according to FBI. Were his prayers answered - was it dumb luck? Prior to giving the order to killing Paul C Sammy Gravano(The underboss) states in his book he prayed for strength. Hitler a devout catholic prayed too. Hundreds of pictures exist with him & high ranking church officials. 9/11 4men(I think) prayed- I bet. Although I can not prove this it only seems logical they prayed. After prayer they borrowed a 747 and rammed it into a skyscraper. Inside this skyscraper 2,000 people died. Prior to death atleast 4 of these people were on their cell phone with family and loved ones. The surviving members claimed they prayed with the loved one nothing bad would happen - they died. Out of the 2,000 who died I am sure more than 4 prayed, no? Many africans pray. Infact, africa has one of the biggest churches in the world(4th largest I think - did you know that). These good affricans often have clashes with muslims. 1999-2000 over 5,000 people died due to religious riots.
- this is often amuses me. It is for another topic. But good conversation: good christians goto the poorest nations in the world. With the worst schooling in the world and extreme conditions. Like homo erectus life is a daily struggle for these people. They are 90-100% unable to fend for themselves as most good christians do in the USA. It kind of reminds me how Hitler went to the youth. The most imprintable, least logical and most needing of a "good" cause. This to any WWII historian was one of Hitler's greatest achivements. - known as Hitler Youth Movement. Also:Its kinda like going to jail - have you ever been in jail? It is very common people loose faith and hope in themselves. They have lost everything and now face difficult lives(Although I do not feel ad difficult as Homo Erectus) . . Thus, these people become extremely imprintable. The church takes up pulpit in almost every prison in the USA(odd or not) -- Anyhow, back to the topic questions
Do you see what I am asking? I could give atleast 100 more examples like this if anyone would like?
M) What positive events have happened which can be proved to have happened because of prayer?
N) Can someone intercept or change my prayer?
O) What is the final destination of prayer?
P) Is a god the only one who can hear prayer?
Q) Has anyone ever "measured" prayer?
R) How fast does prayer travel?
S) What is the difference between prayer and thought?

Oh, heavens I am getting tired of typing and running out of letters. I will add the final letters T thru Z at a later time in the post.

I Cor 14:34-34(women can't pray?)
Ps 119:15(prayer is meditation - nothing more?)
Matthew 6: 9-15(hmmm)
Jer 15:16(a god likes tastey words - I like tastey stuff too!)
Psalm 95:6(Do I always have to kneel during prayer or worship?)
-----------------

There seem to be atleast 60-100 references I've collected from the bible on prayer. I will be more happy to share and discuss the entire collection. The ones listed above were simply the first few in my list. I am honestly hoping someone with alot more knowledge on the topic will help! I would like to unlock the mystery & magic of prayer - right here, right now.

Tony S

Midwestguy
Student

Post #2

Post by Midwestguy »

Great question. I wish I had the answer on how prayer works.

My personal experience has been that the best prayers are more of a conversation with God. It is somewhat like talking with a trusted friend.

So far as how or when that friend responds to any requests or concerns, is beyond me. At this point in my life, it would seem that breaking prayer down into the answers you are seeking would be like having a genie in a lamp.

In other words, all one has to do is pray "correctly" and the prayer will be answered. I think faith is more than that, but am still engaged on a journey of discovery and understanding myself.

I will keep watching this site. Who knows, maybe some one will have all the answers to your questions?

As always,

Midwestguy

canadianhorsefan
Student

Post #3

Post by canadianhorsefan »

I'm a Muslim, obviously, but I didn't hear anyone say that I can't also answer, so here it goes.
A) Is a degree or special training required for prayer?

Well, to pray, you must learn how to. It isn't just putting your hands together and speaking.
B) How do I know my prayers were answered - not luck or because of 'work'?
Obviously, if it happens. ;)
C) Are prayers which are not answered instantly stored somewhere - where?
It is quite obvious that Allah can remember what was His first creation and what you ate for breakfast today.....so don't think He needs a PC or something. :lol:
D) We understand sound is vibrations. Scienctifically speaking how does prayer work?
Allah is All-Hearing. He hears you prayers. That's how it works.
E) Does one need faith to pray?
Yes.
F) Must one pray alone (the bible seems not to clarify)
He can pray alone or in congregation.
G) How exactly does praying for someone you do not know work?
If you don't know them, why are you praying for them? Unless you mean praying for everyone. In that case, Allah can hear what you're asking for perfectly well.
H) How many times must one pray for a miracle to happen?
If you are praying for a miracle, who knows? Only Allah.
I) How does christian prayer differ from other prayer?
It differs from Islamic prayer in the language you speak, the way you pray, who you pray to even, etc.
J) Has anyone ever actually moved a mountian with prayer? Or was Jesus just over extending himself?
Personally, I don't see the point of doing that. But it is possible.
K) Are prayers ever not answered? How do I know which ones were and which ones are not - are prayers rejected? I feel this is extremely important to know! If prayer works I want use it! I must know which ones not to use so they are not rejected.
Well, if you want to win the lottery, that probably won't happen. If Allah wants to answer, He will. And I don't think your prayers will be answered till you pray 5 times a day. You willing to?
L) Is a sinners prayer ever answered?
Everyone sins, so obviously it can be.
M) What positive events have happened which can be proved to have happened because of prayer?
Getting a raise? :p Well, you will feel peaceful, believe it or not.
N) Can someone intercept or change my prayer?
No, unless someone makes you mess up.
O) What is the final destination of prayer?
If you pray 5 times a day and do other required things, Heaven.
P) Is a god the only one who can hear prayer?
If it's an audible prayer, others can obviously. But Allah is the only one that can answer prayers.
Q) Has anyone ever "measured" prayer?
I don't think that's possible.
R) How fast does prayer travel?
Instantly?
S) What is the difference between prayer and thought?
In thought you're thinking and in prayer, you are woshipping Allah and asking Him for favors.

This is from a Muslim point of view. You want a Christian point of view, just ignore this.