Is Christianity a cult

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

bernee51
Site Supporter

Is Christianity a cult

Post #1

Post by bernee51 »

A cult can be simply defined as a system or community of religious worship and ritual. In that sense christianity would fit the bill.

However the word cult has, in recent times, taken on more perjorative connotations and is often seen as something undesirsable from which devotees have had to be rescued then 'de-programmed'

It could be said that members of a cult have lost the ability to think for themselves. They abandon rational, critical thinking.

It is requisite that they do not have any thoughts that are different from their leadership. True Christians (TM) follow their leader (Jesus) to the exclusion of all others. It could be said that they do not question what their leader says, and are willing to do ANYTHING they are told to do for salvation.

Cult members will deeply and sincerely believe that they have found the truth, and that they are strongly defensive when they are confronted on areas of their beliefs.

Also, you know that people who are in cults always deny that they are in a cult... ;)

So could christianity (or elements thereof) be considered a cult?

Amadeus
Scholar

Post #11

Post by Amadeus »

The problem, Bernee, is that miracles require the defiance of logic. Therefore, critical thinking really cannot come into the picture. The critical thinking is used during the earliest stages of religious development, when one is pondering the existence of God, then, when they are pondering which god to believe in. Once they have chosen, by logic and faith, their deity, they believe in His miracles, because they already believe in Him.

coolbluehair
Student

Re: Is Christianity a cult?

Post #12

Post by coolbluehair »

bernee51 wrote:True Christians (TM) follow their leader (Jesus) to the exclusion of all others.
I disagree. In my lifetime of experience with Christianity, both deeply inside the Church (as a "born again" believer) and from observation on the outside as well (one who finally made his departure because I could not NOT think for myself, which I was continually being told I must do), I have to say that: #1. Christians DO NOT follow Jesus, they follow "Christianity," which is a religion that, in doctrine, dogma, and practice, does not conform to the life and teachings of Jesus; #2. in my own opinion, Christinaity is THE biggest cult on earth.

CBH

Amadeus
Scholar

Post #13

Post by Amadeus »

This might not be the right thread to debate this in, Coolbluehair, but I can argue that Christianity DOES follow what Jesus taught. The problem is that a lot of people today have ignored or not heard of the most important things He said. Private message me if you want to know more.... :eyebrow:

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by bernee51 »

Amadeus wrote:The problem, Bernee, is that miracles require the defiance of logic. Therefore, critical thinking really cannot come into the picture. The critical thinking is used during the earliest stages of religious development, when one is pondering the existence of God, then, when they are pondering which god to believe in. Once they have chosen, by logic and faith, their deity, they believe in His miracles, because they already believe in Him.
So it take it then that once a 'decision' is made to believe in god there is no further need for critical thinking when it comes to those things which are attributed to 'him' - like miracles.

Are you a biblical literalist?

You are a believer are you not?

What 'logic' did you use, firstly, to decide there was a god and, secondly, to decide which god was 'real' and which 'myth'?

richic
Apprentice

Post #15

Post by richic »

coolbluehair wrote: I disagree. In my lifetime of experience with Christianity, both deeply inside the Church (as a "born again" believer) and from observation on the outside as well (one who finally made his departure because I could not NOT think for myself, which I was continually being told I must do)
Hi CBH,
I'm intrigued on what caused you to not be born again. This must have been very difficult. Was it this idea of toeing the party line, or else? Or was it an intellectual disconnect, like Hell for unbelievers...things like that?

coolbluehair
Student

Post #16

Post by coolbluehair »

richic wrote:
coolbluehair wrote: I disagree. In my lifetime of experience with Christianity, both deeply inside the Church (as a "born again" believer) and from observation on the outside as well (one who finally made his departure because I could not NOT think for myself, which I was continually being told I must do)
Hi CBH,
I'm intrigued on what caused you to not be born again. This must have been very difficult. Was it this idea of toeing the party line, or else? Or was it an intellectual disconnect, like Hell for unbelievers...things like that?
Actually, my relationship with God has led me to the place of being not only born again (an event that occured many years ago, which is something you do not undo) to the place of being more aware of things, and more committed to the truth than most "Christians" I know around me. You might say that the Christian religion was the portal, the door I walked through in my awakening concerning the things of God, and over time I went beyond that. And looking back on it, looking back at what Christianity REALLY is (which you cannot know unless you step outside of it and look at it critically and honestly from the outside), I am so very glad that I did. Over time I watch my friends and family who are still embedded in the Christian church come to dawning awareness of the things I myself came to realize over time, years ago (and, of course, I am still coming into even deeper understanding as time passes). I never wanted religion, I wanted God, I wanted the truth, I took the red pill. It hasn't been easy, but I know it has been the right path. And so I pray for my Christian brothers and sisters that they also may, over time, think for themselves, ask the questions that need to be asked, and come to know the truth that is still obscure to so many of them.

CBH