Guidelines for the C&A subforum

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Guidelines for the C&A subforum

Post #1

Post by otseng »

1. We are debating Christianity, pro and con, for and against, not debating with the assumption that Christianity is true. Please realize that people on the forum are from all worldview backgrounds and do not necessarily share the same assumptions.

2. Avoid using the Bible as the sole source to prove that Christianity is true.

3. For factual claims like the existence of individuals, places, and events, the Bible can be considered as providing evidence, but not necessarily conclusive evidence.

4. Unsupported Bible quotations are to be considered as no more authoritative than unsupported quotations from any other book.

5. Please avoid "preaching" and using the forum as simply a way to blast people with the gospel message. This is a debating forum, not a convenient place to overtly proselytize.

6. Realize that most participants here are strong debaters and have a vast knowledge of Christianity and the Bible (including non-theists). If you make any claims, be ready to support your claims with evidence if asked. Non-Biblical evidence would go far among non-theists.

7. For debates purely on theology with the assumption that the Bible is an authoritative source, please consider posting in the Theology, Doctrine, and Dogma subforum.

If you choose to debate in this sub-forum you are REQUIRED to honor the Guidelines. Notice specifically that the Bible can be used ONLY to show what the bible says and what Christianity says. It cannot be used to prove that a statement or story is true.

This sub-forum is intended as a meeting ground for any and all theistic positions – none of which are given preferential treatment. It is a very “level playing field�. Any story, statement or claim of knowledge which is challenged is required to be substantiated with evidence to show that it is true and accurate. “The Bible (or Quran or Bhagavad Gita) says so� is NOT acceptable as proof of truth.

If you disagree with the Guidelines and/or cannot debate without attempting to use the Bible to prove a point or position true, kindly do not debate in this sub-forum. Instead, use Theology, Doctrine and Dogma OR Holy Huddle sub-forums in which the Bible IS regarded as authoritative and can be used as proof of truth.

Also, kindly review Forum Rules regarding preaching and proselytizing.
Last edited by otseng on Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

William
Savant

Re: Guidelines for the C&A subforum

Post #11

Post by William »

William wrote: [Replying to post 8 by Tired of the Nonsense]

I wondered why he suddenly stopped posting. Was he banned or did he just move on?

Ah - It all becomes so clear to me now :D.

This must have happened while I was taking a break from the forum. Mystery solved. :D

Wootah
Savant

Post #12

Post by Wootah »

2. Avoid using the Bible as the sole source to prove that Christianity is true. However, using the Bible as the only source to argue what is authentic Christianity is legitimate.
I'd appreciate understanding what this point means, please? Especially the part I have bolded?

I just had a post moved where said post was basically debating what is authentic Christianity.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

otseng
Savant

Post #13

Post by otseng »

Wootah wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:25 pm
2. Avoid using the Bible as the sole source to prove that Christianity is true. However, using the Bible as the only source to argue what is authentic Christianity is legitimate.
I'd appreciate understanding what this point means, please? Especially the part I have bolded?

I just had a post moved where said post was basically debating what is authentic Christianity.
I believe this phrase was there before TD&D was created. So, since we have a subforum specifically for debating theology, this phrase should be deleted here in the C&A guidelines.

otseng
Savant

Post #14

Post by otseng »

Guideline #2 has been edited to be: "Avoid using the Bible as the sole source to prove that Christianity is true."

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #15

Post by The Nice Centurion »

William wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:30 pm
William wrote: [Replying to post 8 by Tired of the Nonsense]

I wondered why he suddenly stopped posting. Was he banned or did he just move on?

Ah - It all becomes so clear to me now :D.

This must have happened while I was taking a break from the forum. Mystery solved. :D
Blastcat also takes a break from the forum now! - A long one at that!
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"