Racism in America - How should we address it?

Debate and discussion on racism and related issues

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

https://time.com/5844645/george-floyds-shows-we-cannot-wait-end-racism/ wrote: George Floyd’s Murder Shows Once More That We Cannot Wait For White America to End Racism

George Floyd was murdered, and it was captured on camera. Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin had his knee pinned against Floyd’s neck for close to eight minutes. We heard a haunting repetition of the words “I can’t breathe.” Floyd cried out for his deceased mother and called out for his children as he desperately clung to life. Chauvin sat there, smug, hand in his pocket, with little regard for the man dying underneath the pressure of his knee. All of this over someone allegedly trying to use a counterfeit twenty-dollar bill at a local deli.
For debate:
- How should we address the racism in America?

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #2

Post by Aetixintro »

* Keep pushing for more and better justice, more diverse police and better police training.
* Make minorities less poor, more support for minorities, Minimal Basic Income (Universal Basic Income).

Also keep fighting racism and keep people aware of racism going on, much like Feminism fights for its issues.

Many times, fighting racism can go hand in hand with other movements and this is most splendid! :handshake:

The future seems most bright, IMO, despite the tragic death of George Floyd. We can definitely end racism once and for all.
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #3

Post by DavidLeon »

By being honest, fair and informed. We are subject to the media's constant bombardment of biased propaganda, distortion of facts, fear mongering and corporate sponsored political ideology. I believe we were created as one race. Don't look at the current riots in Minneapolis as the result of a black man being callously murdered by a white police officer but rather a human being being callously murdered by another. In a country founded as a Republic the term Democracy has incurred tremendous damage by reformers who's intentions were good, but results were tragic. Often without realization by the masses who follow them blindly never giving it a thought or questioning it.

If you protect and uphold the rights of the individual rather than groups you are far better off.

For alternatives to the mainstream media consider Larry Elder, Candace Owens and Thomas Sowell.

I no longer post here

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

The protests/riots are rapidly spreading across the US.
CNN wrote: Protests have erupted in at least 20 US cities over the death of unarmed black man George Floyd at the hands of a police officer in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Situation in Minneapolis remains "incredibly dangerous," governor says.

Dozens arrested in Minneapolis as state plans to mobilize 1,700 National Guard soldiers.

Bricks, graffiti and shattered glass have been left behind by protesters who demonstrated outside CNN Center in Atlanta, Georgia, on Friday night.
We are in a perfect storm for widespread national unrest with the entire country being locked down for months, unemployment not seen since the Great Depression, massive numbers of people needing food assistance, ever widening gap between rich and poor, fake news out of all sources (even the White House), distrust of any authorities, police brutality, and not to mention the centuries of racism that this country has had ever since the very beginning.

Of course violence is not the answer. But, peaceful demonstrations is not the answer either.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #5

Post by Elijah John »

otseng wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:09 am The protests/riots are rapidly spreading across the US.
CNN wrote: Protests have erupted in at least 20 US cities over the death of unarmed black man George Floyd at the hands of a police officer in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Situation in Minneapolis remains "incredibly dangerous," governor says.

Dozens arrested in Minneapolis as state plans to mobilize 1,700 National Guard soldiers.

Bricks, graffiti and shattered glass have been left behind by protesters who demonstrated outside CNN Center in Atlanta, Georgia, on Friday night.
We are in a perfect storm for widespread national unrest with the entire country being locked down for months, unemployment not seen since the Great Depression, massive numbers of people needing food assistance, ever widening gap between rich and poor, fake news out of all sources (even the White House), distrust of any authorities, police brutality, and not to mention the centuries of racism that this country has had ever since the very beginning.

Of course violence is not the answer. But, peaceful demonstrations is not the answer either.
Working within the system is the answer. Destroying local businesses, banks, precinct buildings, post offices etc, looting and setting cars on fire is NOT justified, nor is it working within the system. The main perpetrator of police brutality Chauvin was arrested and charged with murder more arrests for the other three were bound to follow, the system was in the process of working. But that was not enough for the thugs who rioted the last few nights. These are NOT "social justice warriors", they are anarchists using the Floyd tragedy as a pretext for their barbarism.

How does looting Target and stealing electronic equipment or cases of Red Bull help the cause of race relations in the US? Or honor the memory of George Floyd? Or advanced the cause of racial justice? And WHO is going to pay for the massive destruction caused by these "young people" with grievances? How many will be arrested and fined for the destruction they caused? Will their indulgent parents pay? Are they proud of their little "social justice warriors"? I imagine some are righty horrified at what their children have become.

I saw a protestor's sign last night which read "All police are bad". NOT so..

Yes, regarding George Floyd. Yes, his killers deserve prosecution to the full extent of the law. But nothing justifies what went on last night.

Wake up CNN. Even after your own headquarters was breached, you were still making excuses for these thugs and rioters. If there was any condemnation towards the rioters, it was mostly followed by equivocation. "We have to understand their anger"..or "this is a sign of the extent of injustice in our society" or words to that effect.

Racism did not cause all this rioting. Anarchists and self-righteous spoiled brats did. They could have protested without destruction, but they lost that opportunity. I hope that they too are prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

What do you think is the answer, Otseng? How should we address it? And while we're searching for the answer to racism in America, shouldn't we also seek to address the problem of anarchy in America?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #6

Post by Elijah John »

DavidLeon wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:48 pm By being honest, fair and informed. We are subject to the media's constant bombardment of biased propaganda, distortion of facts, fear mongering and corporate sponsored political ideology. I believe we were created as one race. Don't look at the current riots in Minneapolis as the result of a black man being callously murdered by a white police officer but rather a human being being callously murdered by another. In a country founded as a Republic the term Democracy has incurred tremendous damage by reformers who's intentions were good, but results were tragic. Often without realization by the masses who follow them blindly never giving it a thought or questioning it.

If you protect and uphold the rights of the individual rather than groups you are far better off.

For alternatives to the mainstream media consider Larry Elder, Candace Owens and Thomas Sowell.

Well said. I am a fan of Larry and Candace but am unfamiliar with Thomas Sowell.

For alternatives to the mainstream media, Fox on it's best days, (which frequently hosts Larry and Candace) and a lot of local talk radio.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

koko

Post #7

Post by koko »

Brother Elijah,

Racism did not cause all this rioting. Anarchists and self-righteous spoiled brats did. They could have protested without destruction, but they lost that opportunity. I hope that they too are prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Governor Walz, Mayor Frey (Minneapolis), and Mayor Carter (St Paul) all agree that 80% of the agitators are not from Minnesotans. Mayor Carter said that 100% of all people arrested in his city are from out of state. All agreed that some of these suspects are associated with hate filled white supremacists who are there to foment racial trouble, not to protest injustices. All three made speeches today that are available on you tube.

otseng
Savant

Post #8

Post by otseng »

Elijah John wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:02 am What do you think is the answer, Otseng? How should we address it? And while we're searching for the answer to racism in America, shouldn't we also seek to address the problem of anarchy in America?
What people need to do first is confession and repentance for all our sins. Sins of violence, racism, theft, murder, lying, complacency, indifference, injustice, etc. It is our hearts prone to evil that is the root of all our problems.

We all need to next learn to respect others. People are all to be treated with respect, no matter what their race or background. We should be allowed to be different and not only extend respect to people like us. We should respect individuals and their property. People looting and burning down buildings is not respecting others.

Jesus commands us to love our enemies. We need to be commanded to do this because we by nature will not do this. We need to forgive others, esp those that have done wrong.

We need to learn to listen to and understand each other. Those who live in the suburbs most likely do not know what it's like to live in the inner city. If we truly understand the struggles they are going through, we can hopefully be less judgmental.

We need to value truth and not continually practice deceit. The police are not completely truthful. Those arrested are not completely truthful. So, nobody believes the other that they might be actually saying the truth.

We need to stop fiscal policies where it is just kicking the can down the road. In the short term, people might be off better, but in the long run, it will destroy.

We need to stop these insane monetary policies where it is getting the rich richer and the poor poorer. George Floyd ultimately died for the crime of using a counterfeit twenty. Meanwhile, the Fed is counterfeiting/printing trillions with most all of it ending up with those close to the Fed and nobody bats an eye.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Difflugia »

My kingdom for a "like" button!
otseng wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:58 pmWe need to stop these insane monetary policies where it is getting the rich richer and the poor poorer. George Floyd ultimately died for the crime of using a counterfeit twenty. Meanwhile, the Fed is counterfeiting/printing trillions with most all of it ending up with those close to the Fed and nobody bats an eye.
I would like to point out that I once committed the crime of attempting to use a counterfeit ten. Well, it technically wan't a crime, because like most criminal laws, the statute requires intent and I didn't realize it was counterfeit. I didn't actually have to explain that, though, because nobody called the police. I can only speculate why, but I don't think it's a coincidence that I'm white and have a white-collar job. It's also perhaps not coincidental that the cashier, an African-American, might not want to involve the police in what could conceivably have turned into a mixed-race confrontation. All she said was, "I can't take that, Honey." It was actually an obvious counterfeit, having been done on an inkjet printer. I had probably gotten it in change somewhere earlier and not noticed. Had that cashier not noticed as well? Or didn't notice at first, but still passed it to me to avoid getting in trouble with an employer? Or brought the counterfeit bill him- or herself and noticed I wasn't paying attention? Who knows? Until the police were called, George Floyd was potentially in exactly the same position I was.

Anyone being reasonable can see that people might have made different decisions based on either racism or classism. Changing nothing else, would the cashier have called the police on me if I had also been black? Or if I had been obviously poor? Since at the time, she seemed as embarrassed for me as I was, I don't think so, but I can't know. If the police had been called on me and Derek Chauvin had responded, would he have casually murdered me while his colleagues silently watched? I can't know that either, but I have what I think is a pretty good guess.

Officer Chauvin is probably a murderer. It's possible that he in fact neither intended harm to George Floyd nor was culpably negligent, but I don't think that's likely. He and his colleagues are also probably racist. It's possible that the same events would have happened if George Floyd were white, but I don't think that's likely, either.

A cop murdering someone is bad and needs to be dealt with. Five cops racist enough to watch a murder that took eight minutes to complete without intervening is, to my mind, far more troubling overall.

Quantrill
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Quantrill »

As to the question, 'racism in America-how should we address it'? The first thing Americans need to recognize is that 'racism' in and of itself is not evil or wrong. It is natural.

America has created this idea of any acknowledgement of a distinction between the races is evil and hate driven. That just isn't so. Race exists. And differences in the races exist. And races like to be with people of their own race. That is not wrong--unless you're in America.

What should be considered is this. Why don't white people destroy, loot, and burn their town down when a black kills a white person? Why didn't white people destroy, loot, and burn down their town when OJ was set free....due to race?

If offended, the black race moves towards it's goal using threat and destruction, outside of the law. Whereas the whites try and function and maintain the law. Yet the whites are the 'evil people'.

So, how should Americans address racism? Recognize it is natural. Recognize that this attempt to make people believe that races are not different is ludicrous. All men are not created 'equal'. We are all different, and race is one of the main differences.

Until America comes to that understanding, which it won't, there is no solution to the race question. It is going to grow, and explode to the degree that the law no more has control. Of course blacks see this as a good thing. They make hay during these times when they see law can't control them. They loot and burn and have their way.

But they have their way only because whites are hoping the law will prevail in the end and peace be restored. But, wait till it reaches the point that that is no more a possibility. When blacks are so united across the nation that there will be no peace or stability. No law.

That is when whites have nothing to lose. And so now they are unshackled from the law, as there is no law. It is time for them to act against the blacks as the blacks have been acting against the whites, outside of the law. The result...a real civil war. A race war. And there will be no mercy shown from either side. That is the nature of race wars.

In other words, America has created this problem. And it will refuse the answer to it. Thus there is no solution.

Quantrill