Racism in America - How should we address it?

Debate and discussion on racism and related issues

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
otseng
Savant
Posts: 18587
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:16 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 214 times
Contact:

Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

https://time.com/5844645/george-floyds-shows-we-cannot-wait-end-racism/ wrote: George Floyd’s Murder Shows Once More That We Cannot Wait For White America to End Racism

George Floyd was murdered, and it was captured on camera. Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin had his knee pinned against Floyd’s neck for close to eight minutes. We heard a haunting repetition of the words “I can’t breathe.” Floyd cried out for his deceased mother and called out for his children as he desperately clung to life. Chauvin sat there, smug, hand in his pocket, with little regard for the man dying underneath the pressure of his knee. All of this over someone allegedly trying to use a counterfeit twenty-dollar bill at a local deli.
For debate:
- How should we address the racism in America?

User avatar
Tcg
Savant
Posts: 7162
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:01 am
Location: Third Stone
Has thanked: 1292 times
Been thanked: 1518 times

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #111

Post by Tcg »

otseng wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:59 am
Should the officers realize there's no way Brooks could've killed them and not shoot him? Perhaps.
It has been determined that officer Rolfe should have:
  • Fired Atlanta police officer Garrett Rolfe charged with felony murder in shooting death of Rayshard Brooks

    Former Atlanta police officer Garrett Rolfe was charged Wednesday with 11 counts, including felony murder and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, in the killing of Rayshard Brooks, the latest in a string of Black people dying after altercations with police.

    If convicted, Rolfe is facing the possibility of the death penalty or life in prison.

    Arrest warrants have been issued for Rolfe and fellow officer Devin Brosnan, who was also at the scene and is facing three lesser charges.

    “We’ve concluded at the time that Mr. Brooks was shot that he did not pose an immediate threat of death,” Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard said.

    Howard also said that rather than provide timely medical attention to Brooks after the shooting, as required by city policy, Rolfe kicked Brooks as he lay on the ground and Brosnan stood on the dying man's shoulder.

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 196723001/

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists


Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc


I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

koko

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #112

Post by koko »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:43 pm [Replying to koko in post #109]
Im not going to be doing your work for you. You need to post the actual information on this forum instead of expecting for others to gather it for you. Provide the information and the source (page number, link, etc).

Again, I have seen NO evidence that lethal force is used against Black people more than Whites. I'd also like to know if resistance to arrest is factored in. You have presented no information on that matter. So your argument is dismissed.



As I posted, "Your question has now been conclusively answered."

koko

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #113

Post by koko »

Tcg wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:54 pm

It has been determined that officer Rolfe should have:
  • Fired Atlanta police officer Garrett Rolfe charged with felony murder in shooting death of Rayshard Brooks

    Former Atlanta police officer Garrett Rolfe was charged Wednesday with 11 counts, including felony murder and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, in the killing of Rayshard Brooks, the latest in a string of Black people dying after altercations with police.

    If convicted, Rolfe is facing the possibility of the death penalty or life in prison.

    Arrest warrants have been issued for Rolfe and fellow officer Devin Brosnan, who was also at the scene and is facing three lesser charges.

    “We’ve concluded at the time that Mr. Brooks was shot that he did not pose an immediate threat of death,” Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard said.

    Howard also said that rather than provide timely medical attention to Brooks after the shooting, as required by city policy, Rolfe kicked Brooks as he lay on the ground and Brosnan stood on the dying man's shoulder.

Based on these facts I see grounds for a charge and conviction of capital murder. Unless the defense can successfully present extenuations, I would apply the Bible's lex talionis remedy - a life for a life. Justice must first exist so that order can prevail. "No justice, no peace" ~ Isiaiah 59:8. This will smooth much of the tension we have in society and make us all much safer.

koko

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #114

Post by koko »

This is the type of racism that exists in the USA and is never publicly addressed:








Kentucky cutting number of polling places for Tuesday’s primary from 3700 to 200

There will be one polling place for 616,000 registered voters in Louisville’s Jefferson County, where half state’s black voters live.

Mitch McConnell is blocking legislation passed by House Dems to:

-restore Voting Rights Act

-implement nationwide automatic voter registration, early voting & end to voter purging

-expand vote by mail & give $3.6 billion in much needed election aid to states.






Republicans will suppress hundreds of thousands of votes. This is why existing problems never change.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter
Posts: 25089
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:38 pm
Location: Bible Belt USA
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #115

Post by Zzyzx »

koko wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:44 am This is the type of racism that exists in the USA and is never publicly addressed:

Republicans will suppress hundreds of thousands of votes. This is why existing problems never change.
Voter suppression, gerrymandering, and similar tactics are direct attacks on democratic processes (no matter by whom or where). Those in power seek to stack the deck in their favor. The system is broken (and has been since the beginning -- by the 'elite' for the 'elite').
.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Samuel
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:25 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #116

Post by Samuel »

[Replying to koko in post #113]
These are snippets from several sources like Georgia law enforcement and the official Georgia police law.
5. A police officer may use a firearm as a last resort: a) to defend a person and him/herself from a threat to their lives and/or health;
d) to prevent a violent crime if a person resists a police officer;
7. A firearm may be used without prior warning:
c) in the cases of armed resistance by a person;
e) to stop the robbing a police officer of a firearm; (Brooks could have tased the officer and stolen his gun)

The “projectile” type stun gun is considered a firearm and is regulated by the same laws that govern the use of other types of weapons.

So let’s pause there and see where we’re at legally.
Charges:
DUI
Obstruction X2 - Felony
Battery on an officer X2
Aggravated assault X2 - Felony
Strong Armed Robbery - Felony
And believe it or not....
Possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime - Felony
Per Georgia Law, a taser is classified as a “less-lethal” FIREARM as they do occasionally cause death.
(OCGA 16-11-106)

(The taser that APD carries has 2 cartridges, so Brooks could have potentially shot the officer twice.)

What does Georgia Law say about deadly force?
OCGA 17-4-20 (b):
Sheriffs and peace officers may use deadly force:
1.) to apprehend a suspected felon only when the officer reasonably believes that the suspect possesses a deadly weapon. (He did)
2.) to apprehend a suspected felon who possesses any object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury. (He did)
3.) to apprehend a suspected felon when the officer reasonably believes that the suspect poses an immediate threat of physical violence to the officer or others (He did)
4.) to apprehend a suspected felon when there is probable cause to believe that the suspect has committed a crime involving the infliction or threatened infliction of serious physical harm (He did)
The officer only needed one of those requirements, but he had all 4........

The law clearly shows that the shooting was legal.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter
Posts: 25089
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:38 pm
Location: Bible Belt USA
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #117

Post by Zzyzx »

Samuel wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:36 pm The law clearly shows that the shooting was legal.
If stun guns are classified as weapons under Georgia law, are police charged with a felony when using them unlawfully? Are there any actual prosecutions and imprisonments? Or is it a one-way street?
.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

User avatar
Tcg
Savant
Posts: 7162
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:01 am
Location: Third Stone
Has thanked: 1292 times
Been thanked: 1518 times

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #118

Post by Tcg »

Samuel wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:36 pm
(The taser that APD carries has 2 cartridges, so Brooks could have potentially shot the officer twice.)
This was not the case at the time Rolfe fatally shot Brooks: Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists


Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc


I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

koko

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #119

Post by koko »

Samuel wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:36 pm [Replying to koko in post #113]
These are snippets from several sources like Georgia law enforcement and the official Georgia police law.
5. A police officer may use a firearm as a last resort: a) to defend a person and him/herself from a threat to their lives and/or health;
d) to prevent a violent crime if a person resists a police officer;
7. A firearm may be used without prior warning:
c) in the cases of armed resistance by a person;
e) to stop the robbing a police officer of a firearm; (Brooks could have tased the officer and stolen his gun)

The “projectile” type stun gun is considered a firearm and is regulated by the same laws that govern the use of other types of weapons.

So let’s pause there and see where we’re at legally.
Charges:
DUI
Obstruction X2 - Felony
Battery on an officer X2
Aggravated assault X2 - Felony
Strong Armed Robbery - Felony
And believe it or not....
Possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime - Felony
Per Georgia Law, a taser is classified as a “less-lethal” FIREARM as they do occasionally cause death.
(OCGA 16-11-106)

(The taser that APD carries has 2 cartridges, so Brooks could have potentially shot the officer twice.)

What does Georgia Law say about deadly force?
OCGA 17-4-20 (b):
Sheriffs and peace officers may use deadly force:
1.) to apprehend a suspected felon only when the officer reasonably believes that the suspect possesses a deadly weapon. (He did)
2.) to apprehend a suspected felon who possesses any object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury. (He did)
3.) to apprehend a suspected felon when the officer reasonably believes that the suspect poses an immediate threat of physical violence to the officer or others (He did)
4.) to apprehend a suspected felon when there is probable cause to believe that the suspect has committed a crime involving the infliction or threatened infliction of serious physical harm (He did)
The officer only needed one of those requirements, but he had all 4........

The law clearly shows that the shooting was legal.




Then why was the cop charged with murder?

In Georgia, stun guns and tasers can be bought over the counter without a licence. Doesn't make much sense for anyone to be able to buy something "deadly" without the state taking necessary precautions to prevent these weapons from getting into the wrong hands.

Samuel
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:25 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #120

Post by Samuel »

Zzyzx wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:08 pm
Samuel wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:36 pm
If stun guns are classified as weapons under Georgia law, are police charged with a felony when using them unlawfully? Are there any actual prosecutions and imprisonments? Or is it a one-way street?
I've never heard of any cases in which a police officer used a taser illegally. However, that comment was not my own personal opinion, it was a quote of Georgia police law and a form on the shooting of Brooks made by the Georgia law enforcement website. I would assume that there is a high probability that a case has been made against an officer using a taser illegally, but I have never heard of any such case. I have, however, heard that some cadets in the police academy have filed cases against the academy for being injured by the taser. Tasers can cause injury and there are are also some people that are highly at risk with tasers. Not to even mention that fact, that when a taser is fired, the subject usually falls to the ground which can also result in injury. All this being said, I am focusing on this one case and on what the law says. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me either, but that is what it says

Post Reply