Racism in America - How should we address it?

Debate and discussion on racism and related issues

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
otseng
Savant
Posts: 18591
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:16 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 214 times
Contact:

Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

https://time.com/5844645/george-floyds-shows-we-cannot-wait-end-racism/ wrote: George Floyd’s Murder Shows Once More That We Cannot Wait For White America to End Racism

George Floyd was murdered, and it was captured on camera. Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin had his knee pinned against Floyd’s neck for close to eight minutes. We heard a haunting repetition of the words “I can’t breathe.” Floyd cried out for his deceased mother and called out for his children as he desperately clung to life. Chauvin sat there, smug, hand in his pocket, with little regard for the man dying underneath the pressure of his knee. All of this over someone allegedly trying to use a counterfeit twenty-dollar bill at a local deli.
For debate:
- How should we address the racism in America?

Online
User avatar
AgnosticBoy
Guru
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:44 pm
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 98 times
Contact:

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #131

Post by AgnosticBoy »

koko wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:36 pm
AgnosticBoy wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:43 pm [Replying to koko in post #109]
Im not going to be doing your work for you. You need to post the actual information on this forum instead of expecting for others to gather it for you. Provide the information and the source (page number, link, etc).

Again, I have seen NO evidence that lethal force is used against Black people more than Whites. I'd also like to know if resistance to arrest is factored in. You have presented no information on that matter. So your argument is dismissed.



As I posted, "Your question has now been conclusively answered."
I'm not convinced. I've seen no evidence of "systemic" racism. White people usually get lesser penalty or less convictions because they have better lawyers. Perhaps you should look at that as classism (as in they can pay for better lawyers, OJ had that benefit, right??) instead of racism.

I also see no evidence that Blacks are shot more simply because of their race. It could be because they resist more on average.

Many who want to sell me on the idea of "systemic" racism WITHOUT showing me good evidence, are usually Democrats who want to use the race card. It's all political agenda and as an Independent, I won't fall for it.

koko

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #132

Post by koko »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:12 pm I'm not convinced. I've seen no evidence of "systemic" racism. White people usually get lesser penalty or less convictions because they have better lawyers. Perhaps you should look at that as classism (as in they can pay for better lawyers, OJ had that benefit, right??) instead of racism.

I also see no evidence that Blacks are shot more simply because of their race. It could be because they resist more on average.

Many who want to sell me on the idea of "systemic" racism WITHOUT showing me good evidence, are usually Democrats who want to use the race card. It's all political agenda and as an Independent, I won't fall for it.


Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But try to convince black conservative OJ Oleka and other like minded types that systemic racism doesn't exist:


https://www.courier-journal.com/story/o ... 337486002/

Quantrill
Banned
Banned
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri May 29, 2020 7:41 pm
Location: Texas
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #133

Post by Quantrill »

koko wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:09 pm @Samuel


About 30 years ago we had a scandal in Minneapolis where several members of the police force were discovered to have been members of the KKK. Officially they were rooted out of the force. But here, we all know racism is and remains a big part of the force. A few years ago the department had an openly gay female chief. It was disclosed that many police secretly referred to her as "dyke" and other objectionable references. Bigotry remains a big part of the department whether you choose to believe it or not.

In my many years of living in NY I've know a great many cops, mostly black or Hispanic. Each complained of departmental racism. A Hispanic was driving his car peacefully when 2 white cops stopped him and started hassling him. Despite every provocation imaginable he would not retaliate with threats or bad mouthings. In frustration they demanded that he produced ID which he promptly did. Turns out the Latino driver was a police lieutenant. He could easily have gotten both into big trouble for what they did but he chose to let them go. Every black/Latino cop I know of can give you similar stories. Note that I am Hispanic and my nephew is a cop in NYC who has had numerous grevance complaints on file over systemic racism.

Mark Fuhrman proclaimed himself a hero. Los Angeles police have been portrayed as heroes on tv for decades. Other police forces throughout the land have similarly protrayed in such a rosy manner. Yet, those same forces have had to pay hundreds of millions dollars worth of damages for the crimes they have committed upon the public. LA paid $25 million for the Fuhrman crimes. NYC paid $45 million for the Central Park Five crimes committed against 5 innocent black men. How many more billions must be paid before you are going to be satisfied that all this is true and not something imagined?

Only people with an agenda would deny that there is no systemic racism. To say that there is no nationwide police racism is tantamount to saying the Gestapo was not antisemitic. No fairy tale could be more illusory.
I wonder how many are members of the NAACP? Or, who support the NAACP?

Such a fairy tale.

Quantrill

koko

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #134

Post by koko »

Quantrill wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:20 pm I wonder how many are members of the NAACP? Or, who support the NAACP?
Such a fairy tale.
Quantrill

NAACP has enjoyed 501(c)(3) status for over 100 years and has been cited innumerable times for its humanitarian work. Does this trouble you at all?

Quantrill
Banned
Banned
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri May 29, 2020 7:41 pm
Location: Texas
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #135

Post by Quantrill »

koko wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:44 pm

NAACP has enjoyed 501(c)(3) status for over 100 years and has been cited innumerable times for its humanitarian work. Does this trouble you at all?
It's a racist organization. I wonder how many policeman are members or how many support it?

Quantrill

koko

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #136

Post by koko »

Quantrill wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:31 am
koko wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:44 pm

NAACP has enjoyed 501(c)(3) status for over 100 years and has been cited innumerable times for its humanitarian work. Does this trouble you at all?
It's a racist organization. I wonder how many policeman are members or how many support it?

Quantrill

Proof, please.

Online
User avatar
AgnosticBoy
Guru
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:44 pm
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 98 times
Contact:

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #137

Post by AgnosticBoy »

[Replying to koko in post #136]

First prove that there is systemic racism as opposed to classism in our justice system. Please offer studies that have been independently replicated and show consistent results. Do they factor in that Black people tend to resist arrest? Why did OJ Simpson get away with murder if there is systemic racism as opposed to classism?

Online
User avatar
Tcg
Savant
Posts: 7162
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:01 am
Location: Third Stone
Has thanked: 1298 times
Been thanked: 1518 times

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #138

Post by Tcg »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:15 pm
First prove that there is systemic racism as opposed to classism in our justice system.
koko is perfectly justified in asking for evidence that the NAACP is a racist group. Absent that evidence, the claim can be disregarded.

If you think the injustice evident in our society is related to classism rather than racism, then it is your burden to provide evidence to support your claim. It is not the responsibility of another to do your work for you nor should their expectation of evidence to support a claim be ignored.


Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists


Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc


I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Quantrill
Banned
Banned
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri May 29, 2020 7:41 pm
Location: Texas
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #139

Post by Quantrill »

koko wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:42 am
Proof, please.
What does NAACP stand for?

Quantrill

koko

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #140

Post by koko »

Quantrill wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:55 am
koko wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:42 am
Proof, please.
What does NAACP stand for?

Quantrill


Another non answer.

Post Reply