Racism in America - How should we address it?

Debate and discussion on racism and related issues

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

https://time.com/5844645/george-floyds-shows-we-cannot-wait-end-racism/ wrote: George Floyd’s Murder Shows Once More That We Cannot Wait For White America to End Racism

George Floyd was murdered, and it was captured on camera. Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin had his knee pinned against Floyd’s neck for close to eight minutes. We heard a haunting repetition of the words “I can’t breathe.” Floyd cried out for his deceased mother and called out for his children as he desperately clung to life. Chauvin sat there, smug, hand in his pocket, with little regard for the man dying underneath the pressure of his knee. All of this over someone allegedly trying to use a counterfeit twenty-dollar bill at a local deli.
For debate:
- How should we address the racism in America?

Quantrill
Banned
Banned

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #41

Post by Quantrill »

William wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:27 pm
I understand your reasoning but it is clear too that there is a responsibility YHWH expects from his chosen Race which essentially shows that it is expected of them as His representatives to be seen to be doing.

If they are not, then we cannot simply accuse YHWH of being the reason they are not.

Calling YHWH a 'white Racist God' seems strange since the Israelite's were middle eastern...but perhaps the intermingling which occurred during the times Israel was following YHWH orders, changed all that as a consequence.

Certainly it can be shown that it appears over the centuries to be a swinging thing - sometimes 'this' and sometimes 'that', but is it really a case of 'YHWH' is a racist God because 'the bible tells me so' when it appears the bible tends to give another impression, at least alongside of that one.

Perhaps the way things have been going are not strictly because YHWH ordered things to go that way...but you and I can be brothers, can we not? :-k
You misunderstand, I did not call God a 'white racist'. That is what blacks, and antifa, and the rest of the PC world would call God as a result of his sending Paul to Europe and Christianizing them. No matter what anyone wants to call it, God Christianized Europe. Not Asia, or Africa. Thus in their eyes, He must be racist. One thing for sure, He certainly isn't always 'equal'. As if that is supposed to be the defining factor of God.

You ask if you and I can be brothers? I am new here. Are you Christian? Born-again? Do you recognize that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and only Saviour? And you have prayed to God seeking His sacrifice for you? If so...yes, we are brothers. If not...we are not brothers.

Quantrill

William
Savant

Post #42

Post by William »

You ask if you and I can be brothers? I am new here. Are you Christian? Born-again? Do you recognize that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and only Saviour? And you have prayed to God seeking His sacrifice for you? If so...yes, we are brothers. If not...we are not brothers.
I am a human being. If you are also a human being, then we are brothers. If you are not a human being, then we are still brothers.

Otherwise, how can your beliefs amount to anything but some type of racism? There would be no avoiding it.

Recently on this message board, a non-theist also made it clear that while I held theist views, and spoke of them in his presence, I also could not be his Friend.

Such conditions invite the type of attitude Racism thrives on... :-k I address it in theses terms.

Tcg
Savant

Post #43

Post by Tcg »

Imagine the impact if this sign said, "Entering Spokane African Reservation." Our nation exists as it does only as a result of treating indigenous Americans as sub-humans. This practice continues into our day. Until we recognize racism in all it's forms, and seek to resolve them all, any effort will be incomplete.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #44

Post by AgnosticBoy »

otseng wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:15 pm
https://time.com/5844645/george-floyds-shows-we-cannot-wait-end-racism/ wrote: George Floyd’s Murder Shows Once More That We Cannot Wait For White America to End Racism

George Floyd was murdered, and it was captured on camera. Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin had his knee pinned against Floyd’s neck for close to eight minutes. We heard a haunting repetition of the words “I can’t breathe.” Floyd cried out for his deceased mother and called out for his children as he desperately clung to life. Chauvin sat there, smug, hand in his pocket, with little regard for the man dying underneath the pressure of his knee. All of this over someone allegedly trying to use a counterfeit twenty-dollar bill at a local deli.
For debate:
- How should we address the racism in America?
One big way is to have laws that promote equality. We need to find all areas where minorities are in conditions that are substantially different (a difference leading to disadvantage) than White Americans, and then work to make the conditions equal, even if that just means equal opportunity. This may not change anyone's heart but it would weed out the effects of racism.

I also think that White Americans are at a disadvantage in some areas so equality needs to apply to them, as well. Oftentimes, White Americans are penalized more for racial statements or stances than minorities. A lot of people are afraid to speak out on this out of fear of being labelled a racist but it should not be this way. People should not be forced to resign just because they tweet, "all lives matter".

And finally, I think negative stereotypes tend to be mistaken for racism. Just because a White person has a negative stereotype of minorities doesn't always make it racism. Minorities are often associated with "ghetto". While any type of stereotype is wrong, but let's face it, plenty minorities help contribute to this stereotype based on their behavior and the way they wear their pants (down with underwear showing?). Some are even proud of being in or from the ghetto. Not saying this applies to all minorities, but this is one of those instances where minorities are causing some of the problem. It's on them to do their part to fix it.
Last edited by AgnosticBoy on Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #45

Post by AgnosticBoy »

otseng wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:09 am We are in a perfect storm for widespread national unrest with the entire country being locked down for months, unemployment not seen since the Great Depression, massive numbers of people needing food assistance, ever widening gap between rich and poor, fake news out of all sources (even the White House), distrust of any authorities, police brutality, and not to mention the centuries of racism that this country has had ever since the very beginning.

Of course violence is not the answer. But, peaceful demonstrations is not the answer either.
The problem is politics. Once upon a time, partisan politics was mostly isolated to political process, but now its infiltrated every part of our lives. It's a major drive of behavior nowadays. Now we have the news media that are political, families are getting political, friends, coworkers, we're all living in this politically correct world.

The best thing we can do now is vote in non-establishment moderate candidates. And put term limits in place.

Quantrill
Banned
Banned

Post #46

Post by Quantrill »

William wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:47 pm
I am a human being. If you are also a human being, then we are brothers. If you are not a human being, then we are still brothers.

Otherwise, how can your beliefs amount to anything but some type of racism? There would be no avoiding it.

Recently on this message board, a non-theist also made it clear that while I held theist views, and spoke of them in his presence, I also could not be his Friend.

Such conditions invite the type of attitude Racism thrives on... :-k I address it in theses terms.
Then why did you ask if we could be brothers?

Christians are my brothers and sisters. As I said, if you are not Christian, you are not by brother.

Recognizing a distinction between a Christian and non-christian is not racist.

Quantrill

koko

Post #47

Post by koko »

Quantrill wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:31 pm
koko wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:30 pm
I am not ignoring your cites. Just pointing out your errors.

As for political correctness, no I do not succumb to the cultishness and delusionalism of right wing political correctness. I did not believe the story of American vessels getting fired upon in the Gulf of Tonkin, did not ever believe the wealth would trickle down the way these antichrists believe:

Nor did I ever believe in the fairy tale that there were WMD in Iraq. I think freely and independently.
You haven't proved any errors of mine concerning God or Christianity. Instead, I have proved through the Scriptures that you are in error. And, these Scriptures you ignore.

As i said, you have a PC view of Christianity. Not a Biblical view. Nauseating.

Quantrill

If you insist on believing your clearly erroneous views, then so be it. As it says in the Bible, "let every man be persuaded in his heart". Romans 14:5

koko

Post #48

Post by koko »

Quantrill wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:45 pm

You misunderstand, I did not call God a 'white racist'. That is what blacks, and antifa, and the rest of the PC world would call God as a result of his sending Paul to Europe and Christianizing them. No matter what anyone wants to call it, God Christianized Europe. Not Asia, or Africa. Thus in their eyes, He must be racist. One thing for sure, He certainly isn't always 'equal'. As if that is supposed to be the defining factor of God.

Quantrill

I have never seen blacks call God a racist. Ditto for Antifa. Let us see probative examples to justify this claim.

William
Savant

Post #49

Post by William »

Quantrill wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:28 am
William wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:47 pm

Then why did you ask if we could be brothers?
To gauge where you were coming from.
Christians are my brothers and sisters. As I said, if you are not Christian, you are not by brother.
Are you aware of the forum rules? They are very particular in regard to your type of argument.

15. It is not permitted to say another person or group is not a Christian or call them a cult if the person or group identifies as Christian (this includes Catholics, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, or any group that claims to be Christian). [link]

The opinion you follow in relation to 'what is a [true] Christian' doesn't belong as acceptable argument on this board, as far as the rules go.
Recognizing a distinction between a Christian and non-christian is not racist.

Correct. I did not write that it was. What I wrote was that such conditions ("you are not my brother because [__________]" ) invite the type of attitude Racism thrives on... :-k . I address it in theses terms.

Recognizing a distinction between a Christian and non-christian can only serve to support such attitudes which produce racism, because it leaves room for it to do so. It is a natural follow-through. Once one allows and supports distinctions as acceptable, one naturally inclines to the reprehensible...

What your opinion here is promoting/arguing for, is that non-theists "don't matter" on account that they are not your brothers.

Indeed, your opinion even promotes that "Christians who are not like me, don't matter" on account that they are not your brothers.

William
Savant

Post #50

Post by William »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:10 am
otseng wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:09 am We are in a perfect storm for widespread national unrest with the entire country being locked down for months, unemployment not seen since the Great Depression, massive numbers of people needing food assistance, ever widening gap between rich and poor, fake news out of all sources (even the White House), distrust of any authorities, police brutality, and not to mention the centuries of racism that this country has had ever since the very beginning.

Of course violence is not the answer. But, peaceful demonstrations is not the answer either.
The problem is politics. Once upon a time, partisan politics was mostly isolated to political process, but now its infiltrated every part of our lives. It's a major drive of behavior nowadays. Now we have the news media that are political, families are getting political, friends, coworkers, we're all living in this politically correct world.

The best thing we can do now is vote in non-establishment moderate candidates. And put term limits in place.
Perhaps when we clear the debris sufficiently, we find this one thread underlying all the worlds problems. It is not theism or atheism. It is politics.

All political ideals are about keeping the systems of disparity operating sufficiently for those who gain from said disparity.

The answer is to see the actual problem [disparity] and to replace those systems with a system of parity. Such things as racism will then fade.

I made this video [5:29] recently which examines the problem [political] and touches on the solution [creating a system of parity].