Racism in America - How should we address it?

Debate and discussion on racism and related issues

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
otseng
Savant
Posts: 18583
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:16 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 212 times
Contact:

Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

https://time.com/5844645/george-floyds-shows-we-cannot-wait-end-racism/ wrote: George Floyd’s Murder Shows Once More That We Cannot Wait For White America to End Racism

George Floyd was murdered, and it was captured on camera. Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin had his knee pinned against Floyd’s neck for close to eight minutes. We heard a haunting repetition of the words “I can’t breathe.” Floyd cried out for his deceased mother and called out for his children as he desperately clung to life. Chauvin sat there, smug, hand in his pocket, with little regard for the man dying underneath the pressure of his knee. All of this over someone allegedly trying to use a counterfeit twenty-dollar bill at a local deli.
For debate:
- How should we address the racism in America?

User avatar
Difflugia
Guru
Posts: 2316
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:25 am
Location: Michigan
Has thanked: 1887 times
Been thanked: 1384 times

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #101

Post by Difflugia »

Quantrill wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:13 pmMy only brothers and sisters are Christians...those born of God.
Wouldn't that be the Nephilim?

koko

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #102

Post by koko »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:32 pm
koko wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:25 pm had the man been white, the cops would have told him to go home and sleep it off.
Can you back up your statement? Are there any credible stats? Are there any stats that look at each individual officer, given the fact that individual factors (the cops race, political ideology, etc.) can play a role? I'd like to know how many Black cops use lethal force and for what reasons compared to White cops.

For all I know, lethal force against minorities may be comparable in number to the lethal force used against White Americans. The only difference then may be the media coverage, and we know the media coverage focuses on the former cases and are quick to bring up racism.

*I accept that there is racism, ranging from major expressions (hate and harm to someone b/c of race) to minor expressions (like not wanting to rent to someone because of race alone), but what I'm questioning is if this is not being overblown by the media and others who want use the race card as a political weapon.

Can I back that up? Easily:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=acti ... of+the+law


It is a matter called "selective enforcement of the law" where cops applies double standards in every facet of their duties. You can spend the rest of the year reviewing all those studies which back up what I posted. Note that many are done by collegiate and sociological research specialists. Others by law enforcement agencies or news media.

User avatar
AgnosticBoy
Guru
Posts: 1339
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:44 pm
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 98 times
Contact:

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #103

Post by AgnosticBoy »

koko wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:12 am Can I back that up? Easily:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=acti ... of+the+law


It is a matter called "selective enforcement of the law" where cops applies double standards in every facet of their duties. You can spend the rest of the year reviewing all those studies which back up what I posted. Note that many are done by collegiate and sociological research specialists. Others by law enforcement agencies or news media.
It's easy to just post a link. Without actual stats and other context, I can say that you have presented any evidence. I assume you've read all of those studies yourself instead of just reading the title of their links. So assuming you're an expert by having read all of these studies, can you tell me some stats on the selective enforcement of the law? Assuming that minorities are shot more, what are those stats? Is context taken into account and I ask because minorities may resist or fail to comply with police orders more than Whites. Was that factored into your studies?

Furthermore, do all studies consistently show results you're suggesting (all cops selectively enforce law based on race) or are the results inconsistent? I ask because you know repeatability of studies is a big thing in science. Let us know.

koko

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #104

Post by koko »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:13 pm
koko wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:12 am Can I back that up? Easily:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=acti ... of+the+law


It is a matter called "selective enforcement of the law" where cops applies double standards in every facet of their duties. You can spend the rest of the year reviewing all those studies which back up what I posted. Note that many are done by collegiate and sociological research specialists. Others by law enforcement agencies or news media.
It's easy to just post a link. Without actual stats and other context, I can say that you have presented any evidence. I assume you've read all of those studies yourself instead of just reading the title of their links. So assuming you're an expert by having read all of these studies, can you tell me some stats on the selective enforcement of the law? Assuming that minorities are shot more, what are those stats? Is context taken into account and I ask because minorities may resist or fail to comply with police orders more than Whites. Was that factored into your studies?

Furthermore, do all studies consistently show results you're suggesting (all cops selectively enforce law based on race) or are the results inconsistent? I ask because you know repeatability of studies is a big thing in science. Let us know.




I have a doctorate degree in the field of law with some work in the crime field. Ask me something specific on the subject and I shall endeavor to set your mind at ease about any unsettled views you may have.

User avatar
AgnosticBoy
Guru
Posts: 1339
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:44 pm
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 98 times
Contact:

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #105

Post by AgnosticBoy »

koko wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:41 pm I have a doctorate degree in the field of law with some work in the crime field.
So what?
koko wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:41 pmAsk me something specific on the subject and I shall endeavor to set your mind at ease about any unsettled views you may have.
I asked you for stats. Since you have not provided them then I will continue to post my claims that there is NO evidence that black men have lethal force used against them more than White men. In fact, one factor may be compliance, because in a lot of the cases shown in the media, there was resistance at the time that deadly force was used. So are minorities shot more because they resist more than Whites? George Floyd's case is definitely an exception since he stopped resisting and yet deadly force was applied for 8 minutes after that so then the cop becomes the aggressor.

Quantrill
Banned
Banned
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri May 29, 2020 7:41 pm
Location: Texas
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #106

Post by Quantrill »

Zzyzx wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:16 pm
I just asked the question. Readers will decide for themselves whether statements like that constitute bigotry -- and whether they cast favorably (or unfavorably) upon your brand of Christianity.

Thank you for helping bring the matter to the attention of readers.


Does that include all denominations of Christian -- or just select ones?

It seems as though all humans are born of women (with some initial assistance from men) -- no 'gods' seem to be involved or required in the process.
And I just answered your question. If you're not a Christian, you're not my brother or sister.

That's fine, I am as unconcerned about 'readers' opinion as I am of yours.

You're welcome. Glad to be of service.

It includes all Christians who are born-again, as that is the only Christians there are. They are found in all denominations of Christianity.

Yes all humans are born of women. But not all are born of God. Those born of God, are my brethern and sistern.

Quantrill

Quantrill
Banned
Banned
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri May 29, 2020 7:41 pm
Location: Texas
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #107

Post by Quantrill »

Difflugia wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:28 am
Wouldn't that be the Nephilim?
No.

Quantrill

Zzyzx
Site Supporter
Posts: 25089
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:38 pm
Location: Bible Belt USA
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #108

Post by Zzyzx »

Quantrill wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:29 pm And I just answered your question. If you're not a Christian, you're not my brother or sister.

That's fine, I am as unconcerned about 'readers' opinion as I am of yours.

You're welcome. Glad to be of service.
I appreciate all contributions to the decline of Christianity among those who can read.
.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

koko

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #109

Post by koko »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:25 pm
koko wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:41 pm I have a doctorate degree in the field of law with some work in the crime field.
So what?
koko wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:41 pmAsk me something specific on the subject and I shall endeavor to set your mind at ease about any unsettled views you may have.
I asked you for stats. Since you have not provided them then I will continue to post my claims that there is NO evidence that black men have lethal force used against them more than White men. In fact, one factor may be compliance, because in a lot of the cases shown in the media, there was resistance at the time that deadly force was used. So are minorities shot more because they resist more than Whites? George Floyd's case is definitely an exception since he stopped resisting and yet deadly force was applied for 8 minutes after that so then the cop becomes the aggressor.


Most of the links have stats but here is a study on disparate sentencing:

https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/file ... sion_0.pdf


Your question has now been conclusively answered.

User avatar
AgnosticBoy
Guru
Posts: 1339
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:44 pm
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 98 times
Contact:

Re: Racism in America - How should we address it?

Post #110

Post by AgnosticBoy »

[Replying to koko in post #109]
Im not going to be doing your work for you. You need to post the actual information on this forum instead of expecting for others to gather it for you. Provide the information and the source (page number, link, etc).

Again, I have seen NO evidence that lethal force is used against Black people more than Whites. I'd also like to know if resistance to arrest is factored in. You have presented no information on that matter. So your argument is dismissed.

Post Reply