Global protests because of George Floyd?

Debate and discussion on racism and related issues

Moderator: Moderators

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Global protests because of George Floyd?

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

A few liberals I've talked to have claimed that the Black Lives Matter protest is spreading all over the world, including in Mexico.

I question if people are using the BLM protest as a cover to protest for their own reasons. I'm not against people peacefully protesting for whatever reason, even if there's no reason at all, but I am against people not being clear on their cause. Like in Mexico, I don't believe people are protesting because of "systemic racism" since everyone in the country, including the police, are also Mexican (refer to post 3...edited to Brown race...a place where the entire population is ethnically homogeneous or near that, like Japan or South Korea would be a better example).

Are the protests we're seeing in some countries caused by George Floyd's death? Or is it caused by some other deeper reason? Some people believe that it's a mix of factors, like bad economies, coronavirus lockdowns, government corruption, and seeing unrest in the US was just the tipping point.

What do you guys think is the cause for these protests?

Here is one response from a member here:
We are in a perfect storm for widespread national unrest with the entire country being locked down for months, unemployment not seen since the Great Depression, massive numbers of people needing food assistance, ever widening gap between rich and poor, fake news out of all sources (even the White House), distrust of any authorities, police brutality, and not to mention the centuries of racism that this country has had ever since the very beginning.
Last edited by AgnosticBoy on Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: Global protests because of George Floyd?

Post #11

Post by Zzyzx »

WHY is the US particularly divided at this time by race, religion, origin, wealth (or lack), politics, lifestyle, gender, employment, location, etc.

I've been part of the society for eighty years. There has always been divisiveness – but not nearly so prominent as now – and seldom so hateful. Some seem intent on fighting the Civil war over again, and may feel a need to carry weapons going to the grocery store.

Even here in our Forum, emotional tirades are launched over matters that hardly seem significant enough to get all worked up over.

Perhaps the divisiveness is characteristic of a declining nation – the rot from within that has brought down so many formerly world dominant empires. I do not expect to be around long enough to see the end result, but many here will see what happens in their lifetime.

One massive failure of our society that I have observed from the inside is the decline of education – from world leader to way down the list. It seems as though opinions and emotions (or 'feelings') have replaced evidence, reasoning, and sound decision-making.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #12

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Zzyzx wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:21 am WHY is the US particularly divided at this time by race, religion, origin, wealth (or lack), politics, lifestyle, gender, employment, location, etc.

I've been part of the society for eighty years. There has always been divisiveness – but not nearly so prominent as now – and seldom so hateful. Some seem intent on fighting the Civil war over again, and may feel a need to carry weapons going to the grocery store.

Even here in our Forum, emotional tirades are launched over matters that hardly seem significant enough to get all worked up over.
Well the race issue has always been a hot topic. That fire can easily be lit or turned up any time we have an incident that a group perceives as injustice. I also think some are actually inciting anger, like the media, and both Right and Left wing groups. The president is doing it as well when he says things that would cause even more divide. The Democrats are following suit because they think that's a winning strategy since Trump won that way.
Zzyzx wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:21 am Perhaps the divisiveness is characteristic of a declining nation – the rot from within that has brought down so many formerly world dominant empires. I do not expect to be around long enough to see the end result, but many here will see what happens in their lifetime.

One massive failure of our society that I have observed from the inside is the decline of education – from world leader to way down the list. It seems as though opinions and emotions (or 'feelings') have replaced evidence, reasoning, and sound decision-making.
That's what I call reactive thinking. It's the in-the-moment thinking which is dangerous because the feelings are raw and people are bound to think and act mostly on emotion, especially anger.

koko

Post #13

Post by koko »

Zzyzx wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:21 am WHY is the US particularly divided at this time by race, religion, origin, wealth (or lack), politics, lifestyle, gender, employment, location ...
Perhaps the divisiveness is characteristic of a declining nation – the rot from within that has brought down so many formerly world dominant empires.

Good post, very thoughtful.

I'm not quite at your age but have made the same observations. While there is plenty of blame to go around, I, as a political moderate, can tell you in truth that it is the right which has had a more causative role in this social division.

Indeed, as a moderate I have posted on many web forums and have tried to bring about social reconciliation. Because I've tried to stear the middle course it has raised objections from both sides of the political aisle. As a result I have been banned on various forums of both persuasions. Significantly, more so from right wing sites than from left wing ones. Furthermore, right wing responses to my posts have generally been more hostile, often laced with profane and insulting language, and at times even filled with personal threats. By contrast, left wing critics have generally been more restrained, more rationally based discourse as opposed to emotionally based ones by right wingers, and I have not been threatened by them. I have also found that when I prove right wingers wrong, they clam up and change the subject or run off without admitting they were defeated in the debate and without showing appreciation for the reproof I gave. While this has also happened when debating leftists, this has been less so. At times, leftists have admitted they learned something while thanking me for setting the record straight.

Clearly, the left is more open minded, more honest, less prejudiced, less hostile, less inclined to be hostile, and reflect a more genuinely American spirited outlook. In reviewing the posts made on this forum, I see this same pattern here on DC. Let us hope that those from the right wing will learn from these experiences and practice those same restraints and open mindedness. This will help result in a less divided society.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by Zzyzx »

koko wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:36 am Clearly, the left is more open minded, more honest, less prejudiced, less hostile, less inclined to be hostile, and reflect a more genuinely American spirited outlook. In reviewing the posts made on this forum, I see this same pattern here on DC. Let us hope that those from the right wing will learn from these experiences and practice those same restraints and open mindedness. This will help result in a less divided society.
This fits with the difference between Liberal and Conservative: Bold added below to emphasize the difference.
Liberal: Open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values.
Willing to respect or accept behavior or opinions different from one's own; open to new ideas.
Relating to or denoting a political and social philosophy that promotes individual rights, civil liberties, democracy, and free enterprise.

Conservative: Averse to change or innovation and holding traditional values.
favoring free enterprise, private ownership, and socially traditional ideas.
/www.lexico.com
Those who cling to the past ('tradition') are hostile to anything that threatens their sacred cows – be they personal, political, or religious.

Few people are probably PURE Liberal or PURE Conservative – but many seem heavily inclined in one direction or the other. Those who feel threatened by change (which is ultimately inevitable) have a great emotional investment in maintaining what they see as 'how things ought to be'. It is not surprising that they become hostile toward any suggestion of change.

Perhaps they forget, "This too shall pass" (a Persian adage)
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

koko

Post #15

Post by koko »

Zzyzx wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:21 pm

Liberal: Open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values.

Conservative: Averse to change or innovation and holding traditional values.

Few people are probably PURE Liberal or PURE Conservative – but many seem heavily inclined in one direction or the other. Those who feel threatened by change (which is ultimately inevitable) have a great emotional investment in maintaining what they see as 'how things ought to be'. It is not surprising that they become hostile toward any suggestion of change.

As a moderate, I have no choice but to agree that liberals are far more open minded. Conservatives need to be this way as well. Once done this will make for a better society.

woodtick
Student

Post #16

Post by woodtick »