Global protests because of George Floyd?

Debate and discussion on racism and related issues

Moderator: Moderators

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Global protests because of George Floyd?

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

A few liberals I've talked to have claimed that the Black Lives Matter protest is spreading all over the world, including in Mexico.

I question if people are using the BLM protest as a cover to protest for their own reasons. I'm not against people peacefully protesting for whatever reason, even if there's no reason at all, but I am against people not being clear on their cause. Like in Mexico, I don't believe people are protesting because of "systemic racism" since everyone in the country, including the police, are also Mexican (refer to post 3...edited to Brown race...a place where the entire population is ethnically homogeneous or near that, like Japan or South Korea would be a better example).

Are the protests we're seeing in some countries caused by George Floyd's death? Or is it caused by some other deeper reason? Some people believe that it's a mix of factors, like bad economies, coronavirus lockdowns, government corruption, and seeing unrest in the US was just the tipping point.

What do you guys think is the cause for these protests?

Here is one response from a member here:
We are in a perfect storm for widespread national unrest with the entire country being locked down for months, unemployment not seen since the Great Depression, massive numbers of people needing food assistance, ever widening gap between rich and poor, fake news out of all sources (even the White House), distrust of any authorities, police brutality, and not to mention the centuries of racism that this country has had ever since the very beginning.
Last edited by AgnosticBoy on Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

bjs1
Sage

Re: Global protests because of George Floyd?

Post #2

Post by bjs1 »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:13 pm Like in Mexico, I don't believe people are protesting because of "systemic racism" since everyone in the country, including the police, are also Mexican.

That is not true (assuming that you mean “Mexican” in a racial as opposed to national sense).

The “Mexican” race – mestizos, a mixture of indigenous and European peoples – accounts for around 60 percent of the Mexican people. Whites, blacks, Asians, and indigenous peoples make up the other the other 40% of the population in Mexico.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Mexico/Ethnic-groups
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #3

Post by AgnosticBoy »

bjs1 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:23 pm
AgnosticBoy wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:13 pm Like in Mexico, I don't believe people are protesting because of "systemic racism" since everyone in the country, including the police, are also Mexican.

That is not true (assuming that you mean “Mexican” in a racial as opposed to national sense).

The “Mexican” race – mestizos, a mixture of indigenous and European peoples – accounts for around 60 percent of the Mexican people. Whites, blacks, Asians, and indigenous peoples make up the other the other 40% of the population in Mexico.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Mexico/Ethnic-groups
Technically, you're correct. I was thinking more along the lines of "skin color", which is what American racism was mostly centered on than on ethnicity. Despite ethnicity in Mexico, I would say that the majority are what Americans would class as a brown race (as opposed to White and Black)ranging from a dark tan to light skin. Hek, I could go there and fit right in just as long as I brush up on my Spanish and don't specify my ethnicity/nationality and I'm not Mexican.

Also, your source does not mention the percentage of "other" that's African and Asian. According to one source, Asian and Black ethnicities make up less than 3% of Mexico's demographics. I doubt that small percentage would create any major rift in Mexico. I wouldn't put much separation between "Mestizos" and the "indigenous" because the two are related. Both share indigenous roots, although classism may be an issue as opposed to racism. From reading reports, I see that the protests in Mexico were caused more by police brutality over a face mask as opposed to being about race but some protestors are including Black Lives Matter into the mix.

What do you think about my debate questions? Do you think protests in Mexico are caused by "systemic" racism in their country? What about protests in South Korea, Japan, Jamaica (source)? Is it caused by systemic racism in those country?

koko

Post #4

Post by koko »

The Bible requires its adherents to work for justice: https://tinyurl.com/yac373p4

We have plenty of evidence to prove injustices exist in the USA such as the actions of these jack booted thugs:

Perhaps all those people world wide are inspired by the Bible's laws.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #5

Post by AgnosticBoy »

koko wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:19 am The Bible requires its adherents to work for justice: https://tinyurl.com/yac373p4

We have plenty of evidence to prove injustices exist in the USA such as the actions of these jack booted thugs:

Perhaps all those people world wide are inspired by the Bible's laws.
FBI director also stated that he has evidence showing antifa is involved. The evidence for that is forthcoming.

koko

Post #6

Post by koko »

Hopefully, any such evidence is not manufactured by the government as in the days of COINTELPRO or imagined like Bush's WMD.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #7

Post by AgnosticBoy »

koko wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:34 pm Hopefully, any such evidence is not manufactured by the government as in the days of COINTELPRO or imagined like Bush's WMD.
Why would the evidence be manufactured? Even CNN has discovered anarchist at the protest:

Teeter, in an interview with CNN, said he identifies as an anarchist. His mission in Minneapolis, he said, was to protect protesters from police abuse and white supremacists, whom he deplores.

"If people are going to initiate deadly force against us, we need to be willing and able to initiate deadly force in return," Teeter, 22, said.

It is those on the left that do not report or under report attacks on police. Now the left wants to defund and dismantle the police.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/us/booga ... index.html

koko

Post #8

Post by koko »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:18 am
koko wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:34 pm Hopefully, any such evidence is not manufactured by the government as in the days of COINTELPRO or imagined like Bush's WMD.
Why would the evidence be manufactured? Even CNN has discovered anarchist at the protest:

Teeter, in an interview with CNN, said he identifies as an anarchist. His mission in Minneapolis, he said, was to protect protesters from police abuse and white supremacists, whom he deplores.

"If people are going to initiate deadly force against us, we need to be willing and able to initiate deadly force in return," Teeter, 22, said.

It is those on the left that do not report or under report attacks on police. Now the left wants to defund and dismantle the police.

Note that your post is a reference to the Boogaloo movement - the person you cite and one you think is supporting your position is a white supremacist.

here's the proof:

The boogaloo movement, members of which are often referred to as boogaloo boys or boogaloo bois, is a loosely organized American far-right extremist movement. Members generally identify as a libertarian citizen-militia, and say they are preparing for a Second American Civil War, which they call the "boogaloo".

Boogaloo movement - Wikipedia

Thnk you for affirming what I have been writing all along.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #9

Post by AgnosticBoy »

koko wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:04 am
AgnosticBoy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:18 am

Note that your post is a reference to the Boogaloo movement - the person you cite and one you think is supporting your position is a white supremacist.

here's the proof:

The boogaloo movement, members of which are often referred to as boogaloo boys or boogaloo bois, is a loosely organized American far-right extremist movement. Members generally identify as a libertarian citizen-militia, and say they are preparing for a Second American Civil War, which they call the "boogaloo".

Boogaloo movement - Wikipedia

Thnk you for affirming what I have been writing all along.
Both anarchists and White supremacists are involved. That is settled. That's why I posted the article.

koko

Post #10

Post by koko »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:42 am
Both anarchists and White supremacists are involved. That is settled. That's why I posted the article.

I live in the Twin Cities, monitor news reports every single day from a variety of sources, and have yet to find a single link between Antifa and any of the local violence we have seen here. Yes, there is the allegation made by Trump and by others who support his position that it has been involved. But not a shred of evidence has been presented. In fact the person interviewed in the CNN report you linked to specifically says there is not proof Antifa was involved.

By contrast, as you have just proven and as I previously reported, white supremacists have been found to be involved in the violence.