Regarding the protests.

Debate and discussion on racism and related issues

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Regarding the protests.

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Regarding the protests arising from the killing of George Floyd, several questions and observations for debate.

1) Are protests granted without permits nowadays? Have all these US cities given all these protesters permits to protest? And for how long?

2) Can protesters who block traffic and scream at motorists still be considered "peaceful protestors"? Where is the bar set for a "peaceful protest"? Simply no physical violence, looting or destruction of other people's property? Seems a very low bar indeed. Do "peaceful protesters" even meet this low bar?

3) Is there any such crime as "disturbing the peace" anymore? Are "peaceful protesters" keeping or disturbing the peace?

4) Are folks who chant and scream "no justice no peace" really intent on peaceful protest? Or is this incitement to violence and threatening behavior. Should people who chant this be held accountable for rioting and looting that almost always follows their "peaceful" protests and chanting?

5) Does engaging in protests and rioting confer immunity on people from contracting the Covid 19 virus? Why do so many politicians condone the protests while insisting that opening businesses, visiting relatives or attending other gatherings put everyone at risk for the virus? Is there a vaccine for hypocrisy?

6) Whatever happened to the prayerful, candlelight vigil as a form of protest? Don't prayerful, candlelight vigils really better exemplify the peaceful protest?

7) And finally, is the right to protest and unlimited right? If so, where are the protests for protection of police? For the preservation of Western Civilization and it's monuments? Cant people protest unjust killings on both sides?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Regarding the protests.

Post #11

Post by Elijah John »

Bust Nak wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:53 am
Yes. Yes and yes.
So, how so? How is blocking traffic and screaming at motorists "peaceful"? And what about the right of the motorist to move freely and undisturbed and get where they need to go?

When rights conflict, which one prevails? Which one should prevail?

-YHVH is LORD

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #12

Post by Bust Nak »

Elijah John wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:10 pm So, how so? How is blocking traffic and screaming at motorists "peaceful"?
There is no physical violence, looting or destruction of other people's property.
And what about the right of the motorist to move freely and undisturbed and get where they need to go?

When rights conflict, which one prevails? Which one should prevail?
Legally, which ever one the supreme court sides with; morally, the that I care about more should prevail. Having said that, I side with the road blockers not because I see the right to protest as higher priority than the right to travel, but because of the reason behind why they are protesting.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #13

Post by Elijah John »

Bust Nak wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:27 pm Legally, which ever one the supreme court sides with; morally, the that I care about more should prevail. Having said that, I side with the road blockers not because I see the right to protest as higher priority than the right to travel, but because of the reason behind why they are protesting.
So "racial justice" trumps all else, right? How is racial justice served by pissing people off? People who had nothing to do with killing George Floyd or anyone else.

And what if some in the traffic jam caused by protesters are taking a loved one to the hospital? Truth of the matter is these protesters just don't know what they are doing here. Do they care? On the whole, they are acting like spoiled children. At least the one's who are blocking traffic.

How do the motorists know they won't be attacked by these "peaceful protesters"? Or how do these protesters know who they are blocking, and what they are capable of? Sounds like risky business.

What if they are blocking people of color? What about their rights? Don't their lives matter in all this? Or only the ones who have been abused by police.

-YHVH is LORD

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #14

Post by Bust Nak »

Elijah John wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:05 pm So "racial justice" trumps all else, right?
No, lets say most stuff.
How is racial justice served by pissing people off? People who had nothing to do with killing George Floyd or anyone else.
Pissed off people tend to want to know why others are pissing them off. That is when we can turn them into people who have something to do with killing George Floyd or anyone else.
And what if some in the traffic jam caused by protesters are taking a loved one to the hospital?
Is it an emergency? If so then they can pass.
Truth of the matter is these protesters just don't know what they are doing here. Do they care? On the whole, they are acting like spoiled children. At least the one's who are blocking traffic.
Spoiled children don't tend to have a legitimate cause for their tantrum.
How do the motorists know they won't be attacked by these "peaceful protesters"?
They don't. Best avoid the blockade completely.
Or how do these protesters know who they are blocking, and what they are capable of? Sounds like risky business.
Sure is.
What if they are blocking people of color? What about their rights? Don't their lives matter in all this? Or only the ones who have been abused by police.
Sure their live matters, they are being blocked for their own rights too.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #15

Post by AgnosticBoy »

[Replying to Elijah John in post #1]

Why has the Chicago mayor, a Black liberal woman, decided to ban protests in her neighborhood:
Citing threats, Mayor Lori Lightfoot defends ban on protesters on her block: ‘I have a right to make sure that my home is secure’
Chicago Tribune

Why hasn't the mayor figured out that local businesses and other neighborhoods, including the White House area and President Trump, also need protection from violent protesters? So much for Democrats being for unlimited or unrestricted protest. As I said before, they don't like it when it's in their neighborhood or against their people.

Such hypocrisy!!

koko

Post #16

Post by koko »

Protests breakout in Kenosha, Wisconsin after police kill a reportedly unarmed black man by shooting him in the back and while he was with young children in the family car:

https://www.google.com/search?q=police+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

While people in this forum like to conplain about the protests they disregard the sparks which cause the riots and that's the police criminalty. While 2 wrongs will never make a right, put an end to the initial violence and then there will never be any subsequent violence.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #17

Post by AgnosticBoy »

koko wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:30 am Protests breakout in Kenosha, Wisconsin after police kill a reportedly unarmed black man by shooting him in the back and while he was with young children in the family car:

https://www.google.com/search?q=police+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

While people in this forum like to conplain about the protests they disregard the sparks which cause the riots and that's the police criminalty.
Where did you get your information that the suspect was killed?

Jacob Blake, the suspect, survived:
"Blake's family said he is now being treated at a Milwaukee hospital, where he is in stable condition."
Source: https://abc7chicago.com/jacob-blake-ken ... s/6385647/

I won't assume why you jumped to conclusions, but one thing that's clear is that there is NO justification for violent reactions. That solves nothing. The problem that people have with BLM is that their reactions are EXTREME. Their conclusions are BIASED, as if every single Black person that dies was due to some unjustified killing. That's far from the case. We need to wait for the FACTS of this case to be released and then act accordingly.
koko wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:30 am"... put an end to the initial violence and then there will never be any subsequent violence.
If Blacks stopped resisting arrest (many of the cases shown by the media shows the suspect resisting), then a lot less would get killed. In fact, if a lot more were EDUCATED, police would not mess with them as much.

koko

Post #18

Post by koko »

It was mistakenly reported that way here. Sorry for the misunderstanding. The rest of it is correct.

if a lot more were EDUCATED, police would not mess with them as much

Like I said before, George Floyd had three years of college. A lot good that did for him. Education never stops criminal cops from killing people.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #19

Post by AgnosticBoy »

koko wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:37 pm It was mistakenly reported that way here. Sorry for the misunderstanding. The rest of it is correct.

if a lot more were EDUCATED, police would not mess with them as much

Like I said before, George Floyd had three years of college. A lot good that did for him. Education never stops criminal cops from killing people.
Andy Berg, Board Supervisor in Kenosha County, Wisconsin, said in a CNN interview that there are reports that Jacob Blake said he had a knife, and was heading to the driver's side to get the knife. If true, then this was likely a justified shooting. This is why we need to wait for all of the facts to come out. But for obvious POLITICAL reasons, many are not willing to wait for that.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #20

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to AgnosticBoy in post #19]

Or we can point out that it doesn't matter: having a knife, grabbing a knife, even waving it around, none of that justify shooting someone in the back 7 times.