Should the Stone Mountain Confederate Memorial carving be removed?

Debate and discussion on racism and related issues

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Should the Stone Mountain Confederate Memorial carving be removed?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Rueters wrote:
The world's largest Confederate Monument faces renewed calls for removal

Stone Mountain Confederate Memorial, a nine-story-high bas-relief sculpture carved into a sprawling rock face northeast of Atlanta, is perhaps the South's most audacious monument to its pro-slavery legacy still intact.

Despite long-standing demands for the removal of what many consider a shrine to racism, the giant depiction of three Confederate heroes on horseback still towers ominously over the Georgia countryside, protected by state law.
Is the carving a shrine to racism?
Should the carving be removed?

koko

Re: Should the Stone Mountain Confederate Memorial carving be removed?

Post #2

Post by koko »

The carving is a self admitted tribute to slavery, racism, and treason. It should not only be removed, it should be demolished. Put in its place a tribute to freedom, race reconciliation, and patriotism. That's what America stands for.

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

Having been to Stone Mountain numerous times, I do not believe the carving is a giant billboard to promote racism and I'm not convinced it should be removed. Are there white supremacists that associate with Stone Mountain (and the carving)? Yes. Does Stone Mountain claim it is a monument to promote racism? No.
The largest high relief sculpture in the world, the Confederate Memorial Carving, depicts three Confederate figures of the Civil War, President Jefferson Davis and Generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson. The entire carved surface measures three-acres, larger than a football field and Mount Rushmore. The carving of the three men towers 400 feet above the ground, measures 90 by 190 feet, and is recessed 42 feet into the mountain. The deepest point of the carving is at Lee's elbow, which is 12 feet to the mountain's surface.

In 1912 the carving existed only in the imagination of Mrs. C. Helen Plane, charter member of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC). The Venable family, owners of the mountain, deeded the north face of the mountain to the UDC in 1916. The UDC was given 12 years to complete a sizable Civil War monument.

Three sculptors worked on the carving during its creation. Gutzon Borglum was hired in 1915 as the carving consultant, and in 1916 he was appointed carving sculptor by the Stone Mountain Monumental Association. Borglum envisioned a carving with seven central figures accompanied by "an army of thousands." He was not able to begin work on the carving until 1923 due to funding problems and World War I.

After blasting away large portions of the mountain with dynamite, Borglum was able to complete the head of Lee on January 19, 1924. In 1925 a dispute arose between Borglum and the managing association. As a result of the conflict, Borglum left, taking all of his sketches and models with him. Borglum went on to carve the famous Mount Rushmore sculpture in South Dakota.

Augustus Lukeman, the second sculptor, resumed work on the project in 1925. Lukeman's carving included the three central figures of the Confederacy on horseback. He removed Borglum's work from the mountain and diligently worked with pneumatic drills, but by 1928 (the original deadline) only Lee's head was complete and funds were depleted. The Venable family reclaimed their property, and the massive granite mountain remained untouched for 36 years.

In 1958 the state of Georgia purchased the mountain and the surrounding land. The Georgia General Assembly created the Stone Mountain Memorial Association. In 1960 the Stone Mountain Confederate Memorial Advisory Committee was comprised of six internationally known figures in the world of art. A competition was held, and nine world-renowned sculptors submitted designs for a new sculpture.

In 1963, based upon recommendations by the Advisory Committee, the Stone Mountain Memorial Association chose Walker Kirkland Hancock of Gloucester, Massachusetts to complete the carving. Work resumed in 1964, and a new technique utilizing thermo-jet torches was used to carve away the granite. Chief carver Roy Faulkner, a marine veteran with a talent for using the new thermo-jet torch, was able to remove tons of stone in one day. For over eight years Park guests could see and hear the workmen and their jet torches.

The figures were completed with the detail of a fine painting. Eyebrows, fingers, buckles and even strands of hair were fine-carved with a small thermo-jet torch.

The carving is actually much larger than it appears from Stone Mountain Park's attractions. Workers could easily stand on a horse's ear or inside a horse's mouth to escape a sudden rain shower. A dedication ceremony for the Confederate Memorial Carving was held on May 9, 1970. Finishing touches were completed in 1972.
https://www.stonemountainpark.com/Activ ... al-Carving

koko

Post #4

Post by koko »

While I respect the views expressed, I cannot agree since Davis, Lee, and Jackson were all traitors who betrayed the USA in favor of secessionsists. Hundreds of thousands died because of them. Try that today - who would call you a patriot? a hero? an American? Nobody would.

Quantrill
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Quantrill »

koko wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:13 pm The carving is a self admitted tribute to slavery, racism, and treason. It should not only be removed, it should be demolished. Put in its place a tribute to freedom, race reconciliation, and patriotism. That's what America stands for.
You speak out of your willful ignorance.

What would you replace it with? I know, MLK or Harriet Tubman. And Tubman was the traitor. Not the Confederacy. But you know that already. That is why yours is 'wilful ignorance'.

Blacks are wanting to remake America in it's image. And image is all they can create. They are not able to create a civilization of their own. They have to take over one and try and make it their own. The problem is, as soon as it is their own, it turns into a cesspool. Look at Africa. Look at Detroit. Houses are cheap. But who wants to live there? Look at cities in America where blacks have large populations.

But of course, it is always the white mans fault. Because I was a slave, they say, the white man owes me. Ain't no blacks today ever in slavery. But it's a tit they like to keep suckin on. Why? Cause that milk just keeps coming. Provided by the Federal govt. Forty acres and a mule. All things come to an end.

You want to take down a Confederate monument and put up one of your desire. Guess what? Those monuments can be destroyed just as easy. When the police are removed and there is no law, the locals will be the law. Thus in your neighborhood you can put up whatever statue you like. But in other local areas, the Confederate statues will be going back up and those of MLK will be coming down.

Quantrill

otseng
Savant

Post #6

Post by otseng »

Quantrill wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:23 am What would you replace it with? I know, MLK or Harriet Tubman.
As far as I know, there's no serious talk from anybody about replacing it with anything. It would simply be "erased". This in itself would not be simple. Most likely would have to blast it away with explosives. Then to make it somewhat presentable, smooth it over with concrete. So, it would just be like a giant empty billboard. The process could take years and cost millions of dollars. It would then stand as a monument to a culture desiring to whitewash history.

Quantrill
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Quantrill »

otseng wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:56 am
Quantrill wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:23 am What would you replace it with? I know, MLK or Harriet Tubman.
As far as I know, there's no serious talk from anybody about replacing it with anything. It would simply be "erased". This in itself would not be simple. Most likely would have to blast it away with explosives. Then to make it somewhat presentable, smooth it over with concrete. So, it would just be like a giant empty billboard. The process could take years and cost millions of dollars. It would then stand as a monument to a culture desiring to whitewash history.
I was responding to koko's remark in post #(2) of it being replaced. And whether they 'replace' it or not, it just being destroyed is bad enough. But make no mistake, they will try and 'replace' it. And, as I have said, all based on lies.

But, blacks and minorities, are riding the wave right now. And as I said, they think destroying my culture that there will be reconciliation. That's a mistake. That wave won't last forever. And we will not forget.

You can tie the hands, but not the mind or spirit.

Quantrill

koko

Post #8

Post by koko »

Quantrill wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:23 am

You speak out of your willful ignorance.

What would you replace it with? I know, MLK or Harriet Tubman. And Tubman was the traitor. Not the Confederacy. But you know that already. That is why yours is 'wilful ignorance'.

Blacks are wanting to remake America in it's image. And image is all they can create. They are not able to create a civilization of their own. They have to take over one and try and make it their own. The problem is, as soon as it is their own, it turns into a cesspool. Look at Africa. Look at Detroit. Houses are cheap. But who wants to live there? Look at cities in America where blacks have large populations.

But of course, it is always the white mans fault. Because I was a slave, they say, the white man owes me. Ain't no blacks today ever in slavery. But it's a tit they like to keep suckin on. Why? Cause that milk just keeps coming. Provided by the Federal govt. Forty acres and a mule. All things come to an end.

You want to take down a Confederate monument and put up one of your desire. Guess what? Those monuments can be destroyed just as easy. When the police are removed and there is no law, the locals will be the law. Thus in your neighborhood you can put up whatever statue you like. But in other local areas, the Confederate statues will be going back up and those of MLK will be coming down.

Quantrill

I am amazed these racist comments are allowed on this site.

Quantrill
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Quantrill »

koko wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:23 am
I am amazed these racist comments are allowed on this site.
I am quite willing to discuss these 'racist comments'. Are you? It is a forum. Are you saying only your racism is the one that matters?

Or, are you just scared that I am not affected by your accusations of racism? My how so many white folk just wilt with 'white guilt' when the blacks and minorities cry racist. But I don't. And guess what? I am not alone. And our numbers are increasing.

So, peddle 'your' racist myths. Tear down the Southern white people's culture. All you are doing is entrenching us against you. And we arn't going away. I had one white person, who never liked my 'racist views', tell me just the other day, "I have had it with them. I have lost all respect for them" 'Them' being the black race. I told the person, 'I lost that a long time ago'.

The Confederate flag is going to fly. Confederate statues and monuments will continue. And we will remember the hatred against us by blacks and minorities once all law is removed. So keep pulling down the law and the police. Yall are so ignorant of reality that you don't realize you're destroying the only thing that allows you to protest. You live in a myth.

Quantrill
Last edited by Quantrill on Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

koko

Post #10

Post by koko »

The Confederate flag is going to fly.
The treasonous hate it represents is constitutionally protected so this is why we the patriotic majority tolerate it like we do with the swastika. Both represent hate, treason, death of innocent Americans, racial division, subversion, and chaos. At the same time they only represent a tiny minority of disaffected people who refuse to accept the USA's foundational principles re equality and the view held by others such as Winthrop that it is a commonwealth. I genuinely pity them and hope that some day they may read the Bible and adopt its teachings re being at peace with all men. The Founders would certainly approve and it would make for a better society if they did.