Taking a knee..

Debate and discussion on racism and related issues

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Taking a knee..

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Major League Baseball just opened their shortened season. "Black Lives Matter" signs and BLM was everywhere to be seen, including etched on pitcher's mounds. Players almost uniformly "took a knee" to (or in solidarity with) BLM either before or during the National Anthem. At least one player didn't. He said he kneels only before God.

For debate:

Should any God fearing (revering) Christian, Muslim or Jew " take a knee" for anyone but God? How many others stood and refused to bow? Has BLM become, in effect, an idol?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Miles
Savant

Re: Taking a knee..

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Elijah John wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:36 am Major League Baseball just opened their shortened season. "Black Lives Matter" signs and BLM was everywhere to be seen, including etched on pitcher's mounds. Players almost uniformly "took a knee" to (or in solidarity with) BLM either before or during the National Anthem. At least one player didn't. He said he kneels only before God.

For debate:

Should any God fearing (revering) Christian, Muslim or Jew " take a knee" for anyone but God? How many others stood and refused to bow? Has BLM become, in effect, an idol?
Unless there's some god-given directive about "taking a knee," I presume there's no "should" about it,* but rather an "it's up to the individual" issue.

EDITED TO ADD ------------------------------------------------------

Religion doesn't have a copyright on the act of "taking a knee."

"The phrase take a knee (also sometimes the knee rather than a knee) describes the action of bending down on one knee in order to publicly protest about something, usually in a situation where other people are standing so that your lowered position is particularly attention-grabbing.take a knee also take the knee. ... .

The first episode of taking the knee occurred in 2016, when San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick sat and later kneeled during the pre-game national anthem as a protest against police killings of African Americans. The significance of his gesture in subsequently causing fellow players to do the same has led to it being compared to the tactics of iconic civil rights activist Martin Luther King."

Source: Macmillian Dictionary.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has BLM become, in effect, an idol?
I see it as becoming an overworked slogan that in short time could lose its meaning. When people see it they might start thinking, " Bacon, Lettuce, and Mayo? No, No That isn't right. It's . . . . . . Hmmm."

*Other than those preachers and such who take it upon themselves to decide what god wants, and pass it along to their congregants. But that's a whole other kettle of fish.
Last edited by Miles on Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

Elijah John wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:36 am
Should any God fearing (revering) Christian, Muslim or Jew " take a knee" for anyone but God?
Sure. Why not.

These servants of God aren't worshipping BLM, they're expressing their support for the movement.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Mithrae »

Elijah John wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:36 am Major League Baseball just opened their shortened season. "Black Lives Matter" signs and BLM was everywhere to be seen, including etched on pitcher's mounds. Players almost uniformly "took a knee" to (or in solidarity with) BLM either before or during the National Anthem. At least one player didn't. He said he kneels only before God.

For debate:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I gather non-trinitarian Christians in particular argue that the various instances of people falling at Jesus' feet and even "worshiping" him in the English translation are not cases of blasphemy or disrespect against God. Taking a knee doesn't even register compared to that. In fact it's not even inherently/originally a sign of respect at all, from what I gather, but rather a conspicuous refusal to be upstanding for the national anthem.

That said, I suppose no-one could blame a player for using a religious defense if he was worried about being the only one to stand.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #5

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to Tcg in post #3]

I understand what you are saying, but kneeling is almost always a symbol of submission and worship. The optics are bad for a person of faith. If there were some other posture they could use, it may not be quite as controversial.

Also, this is an organization that is contemplating going after statues of Jesus and Mary next. And in Boston and some other places, their supporters already have.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

...........Please see EDIT in post 2.

koko

Post #7

Post by koko »

Has BLM become, in effect, an idol?

Funny question since no one is bowing to BLM but in honor of lost lives due to social injustices. Even the NHL which is a league whose players and fans are nearly 100% white has also done this homage.