The Police are not the problem, lack of Education is

Debate and discussion on racism and related issues

Moderator: Moderators

AgnosticBoy
Guru

The Police are not the problem, lack of Education is

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Minorities, esp. BLM, would have you believe that the police are the problem. They are not. Everything about investing in good education and community can be done without abolishing the police. Blaming the police is just scapegoating.

Do a few bad cops make all police bad?

Can we fix the societal ills of minority population without abolishing the police? Why have plenty of Blacks found success in spite of current police funding?

Bust Nak
Savant

Re: The Police are not the problem, lack of Education is

Post #101

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to koko in post #100]

Do you think the experiences you mentioned are typical? What you've presented would still be anecdotal until you can show that those without higher education in general do as well as those with higher education. Your last point is interesting, if you know that dropping out of school would only continue the cycle of ghetto misery, why aren't you encouraging the youths to put all their energy into education, despite your own experiences?

koko

Post #102

Post by koko »

Bust Nak wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:20 am [Replying to koko in post #100]

Do you think the experiences you mentioned are typical? What you've presented would still be anecdotal until you can show that those without higher education in general do as well as those with higher education. Your last point is interesting, if you know that dropping out of school would only continue the cycle of ghetto misery, why aren't you encouraging the youths to put all their energy into education, despite your own experiences?

Encourage kids to stay in school?

Kids would laugh at me if they saw my pathetic experience and how others without all that useless education are profiting unlike me.

Anecdotal?

Again, the MAJORITY of my classmates had the same fate. This is why the school was closed.

From wiki:

Whittier Law School, Arizona Summit Law School and Concordia University School of Law are the most recent law school closures. The latter two having discontinued their legal programs in 2019, while the former closed in the summer of 2020. The ABA revoked the accreditation of Thomas Jefferson School of Law in 2019.

others:

https://excessofdemocracy.com/blog/2019 ... l-closures

Want to join the crowd with a $1.7 trillion debt? That's your business. Want to avoid losing your life's fortune? Wise up and pay attention to the news, not FAKE NEWS government statistics.

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #103

Post by Mithrae »

koko wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:08 am I can do the same having known dozens of high school dropouts who became auto mechanics who eventually made more money than the average school teacher. My brother dropped out of college after a year, became an electrician, earned more than twice as much as your average school teacher in a year, and today enjoys an enormous pension.
. . . .

When ghetto kids see me and learn of my pathetic experience they drop out of school and the endless cycle of ghetto misery continues unabated.
koko wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:40 pm Kids would laugh at me if they saw my pathetic experience and how others without all that useless education are profiting unlike me.
When you didn't find profitable legal work in the first couple of years after graduation, what prevented you from becoming an auto mechanic or electrician like your brother or those dozens of others in order to avoid your "pathetic experience"?
koko wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:40 pm Again, the MAJORITY of my classmates had the same fate. This is why the school was closed.
koko wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:10 pm We will probably never know the full truth of the actual number since so many schools have distorted their "success" records. Note that I have previously mentioned how Hamline (the law school I attended) reported for many years a 95% success rate and it was quoted as an official stat by the state and by the state's legal system. Decades later we learned that it was all a fraud, that many people (myself included) went broke as a result of investing their money in a worthless education, and no effort has been made to correct the erroneous historical record. Since the school is now closed there will never be any possibility of correcting the record. This is undoubtedly true of many other such fraudulent insitutions.
koko wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:00 am Again, the MAJORITY of my classmates had precisely the same experience as I did. This despite the school's official statistics that its graduates were all earning fortunes. When the truth came out the school was forced to close.
As far as I can find, "Hamline School of Law and William Mitchell College of Law officially combined to become Mitchell Hamline School of Law on Thursday, December 9, 2015. This follows the American Bar Association granting acquiescence to the combined school the previous day and creates the largest independent law school in the region." Portraying this as a closure in disgrace seems to be disingenuous, at best.

According to a June 2014 page archive, Hamline School of Law was reporting for its ABA Employment Summary - Class of 2011 (pdf) that only 103 of 205 graduates (50%) were employed in full-time, long-term positions requiring bar passage with a further 39 (19%) in "JD advantage" positions, while 26 (13%) were unemployed or employed in non-professional positions. According to the law school transparency site the under-employment score for Hamline's 2011-2014 graduates was around 15-20%, which is comparable to the 2016-19 graduates of Mitchell Hamline. (For comparison, Harvard's 2011-14 under-employment scores were around 8-11% and Yale's around 13-17%.)

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #104

Post by Bust Nak »

koko wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:40 pm Encourage kids to stay in school?

Kids would laugh at me if they saw my pathetic experience and how others without all that useless education are profiting unlike me.
That's when you give them statistics and figures to prove that your experience and others like it are not the norm, but the outlier.
Anecdotal?

Again, the MAJORITY of my classmates had the same fate. This is why the school was closed.
And that's still anecdotal. It will remain anecdotal until you can show that your conclusions/experiences are true in general. "A bunch of schools doing really bad, taking a whole bunch of students down with them" and "higher education is a good path for career success" are not mutually exclusive claims.
Want to join the crowd with a $1.7 trillion debt? That's your business. Want to avoid losing your life's fortune? Wise up and pay attention to the news, not FAKE NEWS government statistics.
How do you know it's fake? You've only pieces of the puzzle to appeal to, that's what makes it anecdotal.

koko

Post #105

Post by koko »

Mithrae wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:52 am

When you didn't find profitable legal work in the first couple of years after graduation, what prevented you from becoming an auto mechanic or electrician like your brother or those dozens of others in order to avoid your "pathetic experience"?
As far as I can find, Hamline School of Law and William Mitchell College of Law officially combined to become Mitchell Hamline School of Law on Thursday, December 9, 2015. This follows the American Bar Association granting acquiescence to the combined school the previous day and creates the largest independent law school in the region." Portraying this as a closure in disgrace seems to be disingenuous, at best.

Your first question is very easy to answer. My brother had been an apprentice electrician as a teen. He dropped out school because he was only learning in class what he had already known from field work. Getting such a job at age 19 was rather easy for him. By contrast, I was 40 when I had my dismal experience.

Your second question is a bit more difficult to answer. First, forget those self serving stats. Second, the "merger" is in name only. They do not use the old Hamline campus, they use only the Mitchell one. The school might be bigger than it was before (according to Google the merged school has 361 students in its 1st year class. We had 240 in my class and we had not merged with Mitchell). Back then there had been talk of expanding Mitchell - their delay in doing so is what allowed St Thomas to open its own law school. But having Hamline in its name allows them to solicit funds from alumni. If they did not use the name 'Hamline' in its corporate name, they would not be able to solicit or get donations to its endowment from any of us and would miss out on $$$ every year. They have even sent me solicitations for money! I have told them of my experience and all they do is to disregard what I say and send requests for more money. Now thankfully I am off their mailing lists. Same with my pal in another city who had the same experience I did. So don't be fooled by this talk of merger as it is only a strategic move, not a continuation of the school.

koko

Post #106

Post by koko »

Bust Nak wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:34 am
That's when you give them statistics and figures to prove that your experience and others like it are not the norm, but the outlier.

And that's still anecdotal. It will remain anecdotal until you can show that your conclusions/experiences are true in general. "A bunch of schools doing really bad, taking a whole bunch of students down with them" and "higher education is a good path for career success" are not mutually exclusive claims.

How do you know it's fake? You've only pieces of the puzzle to appeal to, that's what makes it anecdotal.

Again, if you want to believe the fake stats, that's your business. Join the $1.7 trillion debt crowd at your risk.

koko

Re: Education is the problem

Post #107

Post by koko »

Now, let's turn this around just a bit (this to anyone who still persists in the myth that education is social balm of gilead that cures everything from hang nails to hangovers): What do you tell someone whose child has committed suicide because of indebtedness and the lack of a hopeful future? Suppose that parent has another child who is contemplating going to college and whose prospects for a secure future are no better? What do you tell them and any other classmate who is in a similar suitation?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #108

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to koko in post #107]

The same thing I am telling you now. The dead child's experience is not typical. You should encourage you other child to take up higher education. The figures demonstrate that it is a great way for career success.

koko

Post #109

Post by koko »

Bust Nak wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:36 am [Replying to koko in post #107]

The same thing I am telling you now. The dead child's experience is not typical. You should encourage you other child to take up higher education. The figures demonstrate that it is a great way for career success.

I would give just about anything to see someone dare to tell that to a grieving parent whose child has committed suicide.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #110

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to koko in post #109]

You didn't say anything about grieving.