The Police are not the problem, lack of Education is

Debate and discussion on racism and related issues

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
AgnosticBoy
Guru
Posts: 1351
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:44 pm
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 100 times
Contact:

The Police are not the problem, lack of Education is

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Minorities, esp. BLM, would have you believe that the police are the problem. They are not. Everything about investing in good education and community can be done without abolishing the police. Blaming the police is just scapegoating.

Do a few bad cops make all police bad?

Can we fix the societal ills of minority population without abolishing the police? Why have plenty of Blacks found success in spite of current police funding?

Bust Nak
Savant
Posts: 9459
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:03 am
Location: Planet Earth
Has thanked: 117 times
Been thanked: 182 times

Re: The Police are not the problem, lack of Education is

Post #81

Post by Bust Nak »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:47 pm That fits my point. Racism exists but in our time it is not holding Blacks from success. Therefore, using it as a reason or cause for poverty is an excuse. There are just too many Black people who have lifted themselves up and out of poverty by using education to say otherwise.
That's not what you said before. Earlier you said if two people worked as hard as each other, where one succeed but the other fails due to their race, then racism is not an excuse. Now you are saying that since people are not barred from success, it's not an excuse. What's changed since then?

koko

Re: The Police are not the problem, lack of Education is

Post #82

Post by koko »

historia wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:41 pm
Nobody is suggesting that the experiences of these students is a good thing. Rather, the point is that the anecdotal data you are offering simply doesn't demonstrate that the statistics above are inaccurate.


Again, just so we're all clear, the "nonsense" you think I'm "spewing" is the simple observation that college graduates make, on average, more than those without a college education.

To say that someone noting this fact now means they have "blood on their hands" is bordering on hysteria. This is not a serious argument.

First of all, you don't know where I live. Second, this is not irony. And, third, if you have to resort to attacking me personally, you've already lost the debate.


Anecdotal evidence? Reports from hundreds of thousands of people with government stats showing $1.7 trillion debt does not constitute "anecdotal" anything. Promoting something that leads to so much debt and even to suicide is nonsense. And who is attacking who? I disagree with your words but that is not an attack. In fact such an idea is hysteria.

Bust Nak
Savant
Posts: 9459
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:03 am
Location: Planet Earth
Has thanked: 117 times
Been thanked: 182 times

Re: The Police are not the problem, lack of Education is

Post #83

Post by Bust Nak »

koko wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:17 am Promoting something that leads to so much debt and even to suicide is nonsense.
It's really isn't when the benefit of higher education is taken into account. The problem lies with dodgy for-profit colleges, not higher education itself.

koko

Re: The Police are not the problem, lack of Education is

Post #84

Post by koko »

Bust Nak wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:18 am
koko wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:17 am Promoting something that leads to so much debt and even to suicide is nonsense.
It's really isn't when the benefit of higher education is taken into account. The problem lies with dodgy for-profit colleges, not higher education itself.


65% of all student debt is to state colleges:

https://www.google.com/search?q=student ... e&ie=UTF-8



This proves education in non profit schools is equally worthless for tens of thousands of people.

Bust Nak
Savant
Posts: 9459
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:03 am
Location: Planet Earth
Has thanked: 117 times
Been thanked: 182 times

Re: The Police are not the problem, lack of Education is

Post #85

Post by Bust Nak »

koko wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:21 am 65% of all student debt is to state colleges:

This proves education in non profit schools is equally worthless for tens of thousands of people.
Come out of college with debt therefore worthless? That can't be the full extend of your argument.

Come out of college with debt and still can't get worthwhile job affect what proportional of students for promoting higher education to be nonsense?

koko

Re: The Police are not the problem, lack of Education is

Post #86

Post by koko »

Bust Nak wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:59 am
koko wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:21 am 65% of all student debt is to state colleges:

This proves education in non profit schools is equally worthless for tens of thousands of people.
Come out of college with debt therefore worthless? That can't be the full extend of your argument.

Come out of college with debt and still can't get worthwhile job affect what proportional of students for promoting higher education to be nonsense?


We will probably never know the full truth of the actual number since so many schools have distorted their "success" records. Note that I have previously mentioned how Hamline (the law school I attended) reported for many years a 95% success rate and it was quoted as an official stat by the state and by the state's legal system. Decades later we learned that it was all a fraud, that many people (myself included) went broke as a result of investing their money in a worthless education, and no effort has been made to correct the erroneous historical record. Since the school is now closed there will never be any possibility of correcting the record. This is undoubtedly true of many other such fraudulent insitutions.

User avatar
AgnosticBoy
Guru
Posts: 1351
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:44 pm
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 100 times
Contact:

Re: The Police are not the problem, lack of Education is

Post #87

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Bust Nak wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:24 am
AgnosticBoy wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:47 pm That fits my point. Racism exists but in our time it is not holding Blacks from success. Therefore, using it as a reason or cause for poverty is an excuse. There are just too many Black people who have lifted themselves up and out of poverty by using education to say otherwise.
That's not what you said before. Earlier you said if two people worked as hard as each other, where one succeed but the other fails due to their race, then racism is not an excuse.
This was more of a hypothetical situation where racism did restrict someone from success in all cases and not just at one job.

Bust Nak wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:24 amNow you are saying that since people are not barred from success, it's not an excuse. What's changed since then?
No, nowadays, racism is an excuse. My first point what a hypothetical scenario while my later point that you bring up is about the reality of how things are right now. To date, there are many educational opportunities for minorities.

Bust Nak
Savant
Posts: 9459
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:03 am
Location: Planet Earth
Has thanked: 117 times
Been thanked: 182 times

Re: The Police are not the problem, lack of Education is

Post #88

Post by Bust Nak »

koko wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:10 pm We will probably never know the full truth of the actual number since so many schools have distorted their "success" records. Note that I have previously mentioned how Hamline (the law school I attended) reported for many years a 95% success rate and it was quoted as an official stat by the state and by the state's legal system. Decades later we learned that it was all a fraud, that many people (myself included) went broke as a result of investing their money in a worthless education, and no effort has been made to correct the erroneous historical record. Since the school is now closed there will never be any possibility of correcting the record. This is undoubtedly true of many other such fraudulent insitutions.
That's self promoting stats from the institutions themselves, what about charts and figures posted here on average earnings group by educational level, not related to any one particular institute? Are those fake too?

Bust Nak
Savant
Posts: 9459
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:03 am
Location: Planet Earth
Has thanked: 117 times
Been thanked: 182 times

Re: The Police are not the problem, lack of Education is

Post #89

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to AgnosticBoy in post #87]

This is what I am hearing: "Your broken leg is just an excuse, your can still hop on your good leg. Look at these handicapped people finishing the race." You and I have a very different idea as to what a valid excuse is.

User avatar
AgnosticBoy
Guru
Posts: 1351
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:44 pm
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 100 times
Contact:

Re: The Police are not the problem, lack of Education is

Post #90

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Bust Nak wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:28 am [Replying to AgnosticBoy in post #87]

This is what I am hearing: "Your broken leg is just an excuse, your can still hop on your good leg. Look at these handicapped people finishing the race." You and I have a very different idea as to what a valid excuse is.
I would finish your scenario with the person eventually making a full recovery, as in being able to walk into success. That's the goal. But acting as if you can never walk again or make excuses for not trying, esp. when you're doing things yourself to injure your own leg, is on YOU (Blacks...e.g. black on black crime is not racism but keeps blacks down).

Post Reply