What is racism?

Debate and discussion on racism and related issues

Moderator: Moderators

AgnosticBoy
Guru

What is racism?

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Last week, I had a discussion with a liberal friend regarding if Trump was a racist. I said no, but my liberal friend said yes. I asked her for a definition of racism and she stated that it meant any form of discrimination against someone based on their race. She also added that it involves holding a negative view about a race. I did not question her more but I figured I'd bring the topic here.

In my view, racism only means hatred, dislike, or intolerance towards a race. Anything less than that should not be called racism otherwise most of us would fit right in the category.

For instance, don't most people have stereotypes, good and bad, about a race? Can't someone have negative stereotypes about a race without hating them?

Don't some of us date certain races? Is it discrimination that a girl only wants to date White guys? Does it make her racist?

FOr debate:
What does racism mean? Also take a shot at answering the other questions.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Re: What is racism?

Post #11

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Miles wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:32 pm
AgnosticBoy wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:30 pm What is Racism?

.......................................................Image

Lol...I'm referring to a different kind of race!

bjs1,
Here's another stereotype that I got from one of my female coworkers. She says she won't date Hispanic guys because they'll cheat. That's a negative stereotype so is she racist?